Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR1205 opinions please

fretmeister

My main bass is my Marleaux Consat Custom 5. It's wonderful but I need a back up 5 string.

The SR1205 seems good from the specs and it's not too mental in price, especially if I can find a used one.

Anyone using one regularly?

Is there any neck dive? (that does my head in more than anything else on a bass)

ta

I have only played one in the shop when testing out an amp and a few pedals but I have to say as far as Ibanez goes, I was seriously impressed. Really lightweight and very comfortable to play and sounded really nice too. I was only sitting down but it felt really well balanced.

I have virtually no 5 string experience, but the guy I bought my RH450 from had a SR1205 and I played it to test the amp. It played beautifully, really good quality feel to it. Granted I only played it at house volume but it sounded lovely, the low B was killer. I ended up asking more questions about the bass than about the amp I was buying!

Check your string spacing on your Marleaux, Ibanez tend to use narrow string spacing on their 5s, and I found them quite difficult to play as a result, probably not an issue if you use the same bass all the time, but very confusing for the fingers if you are used to playing on regular Fender P-bass spacing. Yamaha on the other hand make a lot of 5s with the same string spacing as you get on a regular 4 string - when I bought my RBX 775 it was the string spacing issue that sealed the deal in preference of the Yam over the other 5s that I tried out.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1396361472' post='2412690']
Check your string spacing on your Marleaux, Ibanez tend to use narrow string spacing on their 5s, and I found them quite difficult to play as a result, probably not an issue if you use the same bass all the time, but very confusing for the fingers if you are used to playing on regular Fender P-bass spacing. Yamaha on the other hand make a lot of 5s with the same string spacing as you get on a regular 4 string - when I bought my RBX 775 it was the string spacing issue that sealed the deal in preference of the Yam over the other 5s that I tried out.
[/quote]

That's a good point!

The Marleaux is definitely narrower than my P bass, but I don't know the exact measurements. I will check.

I have an SR1605 (a 1205 with a different top), the string spacing is akin to an MM fiver (about 17mm), slim neck front to back, no neck dive, super light, transparent sounding preamp. The bodies are quite small (thus the light weight) which can make playing on your knee feel a bit odd if you're used to wider bodied basses and because of the finish they are susceptible to dents and dings.

I have one, I think it's an excellent bass for the money. No noticeable neck dive at all. And I think 17mm is about right for the string spacing, which I found a bit tight at first but I'm totally use to now. Great sound and versative pre-amp too.

I have gigged extensively with my SR1205 for the last 2 years and it has been a revelation.

Modern, original, sleek design...lightweight (8lbs), nicely put together with quality timbers/parts, infinitely playable and sounds incredible at volume. I have made recordings with it also and it punches way above it's price tag. It balances perfectly ...no neck dive whatsoever.

I have owned Wal's, Alembic, Vigier, Jaydee etc etc...but the 1205 is easily the most playable bass I have ever owned. String spacing is 17mm - perfect for fast finger playing. I adapted to slapping with it easily enough also.

Highly recommended.

Edited by White Cloud

String spacing is a matter of personal teste I think. I'm so used to the 16.5-17mm spacing of my Ibanez and Spectors that the only thing I hate about my Sadowsky is the 19 mm spacing. I keep feeling my fingers fall in between the strings and the distance makes my digits work more. (but the sound and the feel of that bass makes up for that)