Why become a member? ×

NBD Cort Rithimic "Jeff Berlin"

grayn

Got this bass this morning. I'd gone out specifically to try this model, as I wondered how it would compare to my GB4. As I always do, I had to try out a few other basses, whilst in the shop. The 2, I mainly played, were a Cort A4, with some beautiful woods and a Fender FSR, surf green, PJ bass. The A4 is a brilliant bass and so unrecognised as such. Smooth to play with great electronics, it is so well balanced. I nearly got this instead. The surf green PJ bass was very eye catching and rather nice to play, too. Good neck and very solid. I found the pickups powerful but a little too brash for my taste. Perhaps lacking subtlety, it'd make a great gigging bass, though.

So, the Rithimic. First thing you notice is, how much more gorgeous it is, in person. No doubt it's wacky woods are an acquired taste but don't make your mind up, until you see it for real.
The second thing is, the feel. I mean, the Rithimic is obviously based on Cort's GB series. I'm a big fan of my GB4 Custom, which seems to have a very similar body and neck, to the Rithimic. But, this Jeff Berlin bass feels quite different. Some of this down to the slightly lighter stock strings and very low action. The fretboard seems to be of very good quality rosewood, too.

The feel very much seems geared toward expressive playing. And if required, very speedy playing, too. Unlike the GB series, the Rithimic is a passive bass, with 2, Dual Coil, Bartolini pickups. They are placed quite far apart. To my ears, they sound a little like 2, P-bass, split coil pickups. Although they have a more sophisticated tone. Quite lush and musical actually.

I'm not a big fan of gold hardware but it does go with the woods, well. And the Babicz bridge is a little marvel.
When I went out this morning, I was quite unsure whether I'd actually get the Rithimic. I was unsure about the looks and whether it'd be just too similar to my GB4. Well it looks rather delightful and is a very different bass to the GB4. I feel very lucky to own them both.

Is it a 3-piece neck? It does look so on one of the pics. Gorgeous bass, congratulations. I've had a GB94 (that's now called GB4 Custom) for a couple of years and it was extremely playable, everything was just effortless. I imagine this would more to my taste tonally though.

bagsieblue: Cheers. You're right, I've had a bit of a turn around, with my bass herd. Some in, some out.

such: It is a 3-peice maple neck. I just missed out ona GB94, it is very similar to the GB4 Custom.

Cosmo Valdemar: Corts do seem to be little gems, hiding from the mainstream.

Meddle: I hadn't spotted the mountain look of the wood pattern. Nice one. I think with a lovely gloss finish and the fact that Cort have tinted the alder, on the back and sides, really makes the whole thing work, visually.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1394963714' post='2397054']
Anyone managed to A/B one these Corts against the old Peavey Palladium?
[/quote]
Congrats...fine looking bass indeed.

If it is anywhere near as good as the Pallaedium it will be fantastic. I also owned one of the early Czech built Dean JB's and it was insanely playable and sounded wonderful.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1400190812' post='2451778']
My parents have a thing (I don't even know what to call this art-form/discipline) that is made from various woods, using the colour of each wood for a different part of a landscape scene. It was the first thing to spring into my mind when I saw the Corts. The design is growing on me!
[/quote]

I think that is called Marquetry.