Why become a member? ×

Do the seasons affect your playing?

Gazza 2905

As spring is just around the corner, and the weather is already starting to improve, do you expect to spend more time outdoors in the coming months, enjoying the sunshine and any outdoor hobbies you choose to persue; and consequently, less time indoors practicing?

Do you feel guilty, or that you're missing out if you're indoors playing bass when it's sunny outside?

Is better weather actually better for us bassists?

Warmer more humid weather makes the back of my ric's neck a bit stickier but I'm not playing it much at present so not a problem gigging wise. I can always find excuses not to practice irrespective of the climate ;)

Edited by KevB

I actually tend to do a lot more recording and playing when the weather's better because I'm in a much more upbeat mood and more motivated to get something worthwhile done with my time. In poor weather I have more of a 'Can't be arsed' feeling so tend to watch more telly or read more than actual practising.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1394739077' post='2394692']
I actually tend to do a lot more recording and playing when the weather's better because I'm in a much more upbeat mood and more motivated to get something worthwhile done with my time. In poor weather I have more of a 'Can't be arsed' feeling so tend to watch more telly or read more than actual practising.
[/quote]

^
This

I'm a programmer, so I'm naturally afraid of sunlight.

When I was a kid I used to practise a lot less in the winter because our council house didn't have central heating and we wouldn't have been able to put it on anyway. We spent winter sitting around in sleeping bags. These days in summer I get all excited about practising trombone, but only in summer, so I am still a rubbish trombone player but very enthusiastic, for about 4 months a year. So my bass playing gets neglected a bit when it's sunny.