Why become a member? ×

I've got an idea for a band (Part II)

phil.mcglassup

Hi All,

Just over a year ago I posted an idea for an originals punk band consisting of members of slightly more advanced years. From the replies received it was considered to be a good idea. However, at the time I was too busy on a uni course, but now that the course has finished I have time to turn the idea into reality.

Since then I have had another idea to form a goth/goth rock band playing originals and covers, influenced mostly by the bands of the eighties, and again consisting of mainly more mature band members.

Would this work? Or would we just get laughed at?

Any opinions appreciated

Phil.

Damn, you would have to be in the north! :D Otherwise i'd be in... Yes, you'd get laughed at, so what? There's a market, i'm sure you're aware of the whitby weekenders oop that way?

The only reason i keep my zoom 505 is the flange and reverb sounds are nice for that sisters/mission swirly bass wobbliness..!

Thanks for the replies.

Every time I look on internet band / musician websites most people want to play blues / general rock / tribute act or wedding band. No-one seems to do anything like goth or goth rock.

Whitby is only a couple of hours away, I've been to visit the town but never when the special events are on. The events are attracting more people every year

Any other opinions? I don't want to post adverts to then be ridiculed on forums :o Not that I'm bothered really. The only good thing is that I'm still skinny :D

I reckon that if you did start a band where the members were rich in years, then people would assume you'd been going years and that they distinctly remember seeing you open for Bauhaus in '87 or something similar.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1394220465' post='2389354']
I reckon that if you did start a band where the members were rich in years, then people would assume you'd been going years and that they distinctly remember seeing you open for Bauhaus in '87 or something similar.
[/quote]

Totally agree with this.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' timestamp='1394189156' post='2388866']
Would this work? Or would we just get laughed at?
[/quote]

Yes, I think it would work.

(i) You might get laughed [i]with[/i] if the project were delivered with sufficient irony that the audience would be unsure whether you were taking it wholly seriously and even if you were they might cut you some slack.

(ii) No chubsters. So that's me out. :(

Edited by skankdelvar

A couple of musician mates and I formed a band called 'Vaj' years ago. we were all wuite competent on our respective instruments, so the idea was to form a Punk band, but the idea was that you had to play an instrument that you [i]couldn't[/i] play to perform on. It was very loud and a lot of fun, but for some reason we never got round to gigging…

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1394191558' post='2388912']
Damn, you would have to be in the north! :D Otherwise i'd be in... Yes, you'd get laughed at, so what? There's a market, i'm sure you're aware of the whitby weekenders oop that way?

The only reason i keep my zoom 505 is the flange and reverb sounds are nice for that sisters/mission swirly bass wobbliness..!
[/quote]

Damn! You would have to be too far South!!!

Break a leg!

G.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' timestamp='1394399759' post='2391075']
I didn't think this style of music was still popular. I'll just have to find out if the locals do too.
[/quote]

Don't worry about that. Any genre is popular if enough drinks are consumed. ;)

Yes.

Loz from around these parts plays in one and I was talking to a bass player at a gig recently who plays in a band in London.

It's a specific genre so you will get people turning up who are, um, interested in that specific genre.

I suspect your audience will be limited to 50year olds whose children are old enough to be doing their own thing on a Saturday night. Lol.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' timestamp='1394223291' post='2389392']
The old goth band I was in were around in 1987...and no one needs to know we had a 25 year break to write new songs :lol:

[/quote]
My punk band reformed after a 25 years sabbatical nearly 10 years ago, still going, and now have the advantage of sort of knowing what we're doing and can afford semi decent gear :)

Go for it!

I played guitar in a goth band in the late 80s, and having spent the best part of that decade trying without much success to get people to come and see my synth-rock band, was staggered to find that goth gigs had a ready-made audience that would come and see pretty much any band that was advertised as being goth and if your band was half-way decent you'd get return gigs and flattering write-ups in fanzines.

Fast-forward 25 years and The Terrortones cross over enough into the territory to be playing a handful of "goth" gigs every year (we were approached to play this April's Whitby festival). The ready-made and appreciative audience are still there and they are not limited to people who originally saw Bauhaus in 1980. In fact the goth (and psychobilly - another niche genre with a hardcore following) gigs are some of the best attended that we do. And don't knock the 50 year olds in the audience. They tend to have cash to spare and are predisposed to still want to buy music and T-shirts.

And finally judging by some of the goth bands I've shared the bill with recently being skinny is no longer a pre-resquisit, although if you are then it's got to be an advantage.

Ever heard of this lot? [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_Station_Loonies"]http://en.wikipedia....Station_Loonies[/url] from round my way - been going long enough that if you play an instrument in plymouth you've either been a bus station loony or are friends with one! :D

And i am totally impressed that you opened for the sisters!!! Whee!! I was in a goth band that mick mercer wrote about a bit... I think he called us willfully uncommercial.. Bah.. Whats not commercial about mediaeval and blues influenced operatic goth? :D