Why become a member? ×

Set lists...bah humbug!

White Cloud

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1394058986' post='2387601']
in our old band we never used set lists.our singer was always really good at reading the crowd so he used to choose what song was next.
[/quote]

As mentioned above, this only works if the singer is aware of things like tuning changes, instrument swaps and the like. Otherwise - embarrassing car crash. I know this from experience... :(

I always put together the set lists, I never share the list with the other band members prior to the gig, this promotes something called 'debate' which is to be avoided at all costs!

It is also worth avoiding songs that are vocally very demanding for the set openers, maybe your singer is a complete professional and warms up properly and can sing like Freddie Mercury from the off. I can remember starting a first set with Cochise by Audioslave one night, vocalist went for it big time, voice went, rest of gig a hoarse whisper.

For me, last of the slow numbers about 5th into 2nd set. Start really building it up from there.
Numbers that are considered weaker, or generally not working, look to replace with new numbers. Try some different stuff, can be surprised at what works. We do a Saxon medley which for me is brain death boring yet most places the punters love it.
Beginning and last 3 or 4 numbers of first set are vital. Last thing you need is people walking out between first and second sets. Those numbers need to be REALLY strong.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1394021598' post='2386957']
I understand what you are saying, but my bands would adopt the same attitude to a gig if it were the Albert Hall or a "no pressure" charity gig.

People see you playing and make their minds up based on your performance not on the circumstances of the gig. You should always play like Michael Eavis is in the house looking for a Saturday night closer for the main stage for next year.
[/quote]

I approach every gig the same in the sense that me and the guys i'm on stage with give it our all.

Still no set list in my lot despite me bringing up the subject a few times. Just a crappy scrap of paper of potential doable songs that the singer chooses randomely from how he feels fit. He's clearly not 'reading the crowd' which is what he always comes up with as the reason to not generating proper running orders and all it does it put the guitarist on the spot when he calls one out that he then has to change a few pedal settings for. Glad I'm not using effects or my midi pedals, I'd have walked long before now.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1394111338' post='2388014']
Still no set list in my lot despite me bringing up the subject a few times. Just a crappy scrap of paper of potential doable songs that the singer chooses randomely from how he feels fit. He's clearly not 'reading the crowd' which is what he always comes up with as the reason to not generating proper running orders and all it does it put the guitarist on the spot when he calls one out that he then has to change a few pedal settings for. Glad I'm not using effects or my midi pedals, I'd have walked long before now.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I love bands like yours. It makes us look so much better.

Promoters do notice these things.

Chris makes a good point in that this is such a simple thing to fix/get sorted.

It is one thing that a band may not be very good...and there isn't much you can do about that, but
for a little bit of effort like looking a bit organised on stage, that is one less thing to kill you over.

We write a set to fit the gig... and if we want to achieve function set type prices at a beer festival, the
first thing we want to head off, is the booker saying, 'I know what you work for in pubs, so why should I pay you
that '£xxx x3' figure. I'll tell them that they wont get that show,,, it will be much better etc etc ....
We will bring down co-ordinated lights, BV's, maybe a horn section if the budget is very good...
and it will make the show...
Anyway..these are all advanced selling points.

Another thing we come across.... 3 piece band come into a pub... play a blues set all night with endless gtr solos.
There is no extra effort and they walk out with £65 plus each. They have no lights, the P.A is an afterthought for Vox,,, the music is what it is...
but it wont keep punters until you are VERY VERY good at it...
Having said that.... it is all low cost, as it will do well enough for the LL, but there wont be too many ppl...
just enough to make the pub rebook them as they ALL get away with it.

I do ours and then email it out so the guys can highlight genuine issues. I don't pander to changes unless theres a good reason because there's 5 of us and if we all wrote a list you'd have 5 totally different ones.
Always start with last few songs last set then first song 1st set then last few songs first set then first song last set then put all linked songs (we do a medley of 8 songs sometimes) and so on until sets full. Biggest problem is we have abiut 200 tunes to pick from and I only need about. 35 for two hours.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1394022750' post='2386980']
A lot of good stuff here, thanks to all.

I think the fact that we play 2 x 90 minute sets (approx 32 songs) doesn't help.
[/quote]
Blimey,2x90s? Thats alot of padding,thats 5 minutes a song!
We do punk songs,15 in a set and some jamming 45 mins a set! Plus no slow numbers.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1394353409' post='2390478']
… Always start with last few songs last set then first song 1st set then last few songs first set then first song last set then put all linked songs (we do a medley of 8 songs sometimes) and so on until sets full…
[/quote]

Eh? :blink:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1394112023' post='2388023'] Sorry, but I love bands like yours. It makes us look so much better. Promoters do notice these things. [/quote] The bizarre thing is we are not short of work, in fact it's the busiest band I've been in to date. We don't use agents or promoters. Have 2 monthly residencies then fit in other gigs around those 2 guaranteed each month to fill the month as much as we want to do, the in-between weeks tend to be weddings or other functions. Only band I've done 7 gigs in a month with (over xmas).

Edited by KevB

There is only one thing better than a well filled diary and that is the quality of that work within that well filled diary....
and we would probably all vote ourselves more money,
So, providing you are happy with all that, then I can see why bands wouldn't want to work harder...
so, stick with what works.

We always says that pubs are too much work for the money, which they are, IMV...and some of the bands members
would rather work duo's and dreary functions--which is our current bone of contention-- whereas I am looking
for a good gig..and some pubs can qualify for that.
The trick is to get function type money out a basically pub set, at decent venues.

we play a few of the more 'muso' numbers first set , though we open quite loud we like to show some of skills ,sweet harmonies , clean sounds , trick playing , before we throw a few punk ones in . a classic slowey , then ramp up to the end of the first set .
we are far more likely to get dancing in the second set so play it that way .

we try to have mini sets, punk , recent , classic , dance , that we can jump on if the crowd take us that way , but it always looks naff if the band are discussing the next number and not getting to a conclusion very quickly .

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1394093049' post='2387765']
As mentioned above, this only works if the singer is aware of things like tuning changes, instrument swaps and the like. Otherwise - embarrassing car crash. I know this from experience... :(
[/quote]

Generally never found a need to change tuning. Would rather change the bassline than change tunings!
You dont have to go straight into it, can vamp with drum/bass etc first