Why become a member? ×

Which pickguard for my P/J bass??

Noisyjon

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394294425' post='2389988']
That's the one! I find tort on black looks disgusting and I can't understand why so many people think it looks nice.
[/quote]

+1. Tort should be used - if at all - on sunburst or olympic white [i]only[/i]. That is all. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394294685' post='2389994']
+1. Tort should only be used - if at all - on sunburst or olympic white [i]only[/i]. That is all. :)
[/quote]

I don't even like it on SB, but on OW or faded white they look gorgeous. Of course that must be brown tort, red tort looks like day-old placenta.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1394295030' post='2389999']
Bloody Hell, xilddx and discreet agreeing with me. I must kill myself before I wake up :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

Eh mate? Do I not agree with you often then? Most of those basses you dribble over in Basses For Sale are the exact ones I would have chosen. You have great taste in bass aesthetics.

That's the one! I find tort on black looks disgusting and I can't understand why so many people think it looks nice.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394294685' post='2389994']
+1. Tort should only be used - if at all - on sunburst or olympic white [i]only[/i]. That is all. :)
[/quote]

I never cease to be amazed by some people's idea of good taste. :D

The only one that looks completely wrong to me is the anodised gold ! It makes the bass look like a footballer's bathroom suite. The problem with white on black is that it looks like a tuxedo or a nun's habit, but it is still O.K in certain circumstances. .

Tort on black looks great, but it has to be the right shade of tort, not red and not brown, but halfway between the two like vintage Fender nitro plates look after the passage of time . Tort on Fiesta Red, on the other hand, gives me heartburn just looking at it, and tort on Lake Placid Blue, as I saw one big name player sporting recently, is so hideous that I don't even really want to talk about it.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394303000' post='2390136']
How come you know what a footballer's bathroom suite looks like..? :huh:
[/quote]

I have extensive experience of a wide variety of cleaning ladies from diverse backgrounds ... ;)

Black on black looks good in a late 1970/ early 1980's kind of fashion.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394295233' post='2390005']
Eh mate? Do I not agree with you often then? Most of those basses you dribble over in Basses For Sale are the exact ones I would have chosen. You have great taste in bass aesthetics.
[/quote]

Aw shucks :blush:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394303195' post='2390139']
If you do, can I have your Super Twelve, please?
[/quote]

As long as you buy the matches for the cremation!

[/quote]

Hi Nige, So the story goes - My P bass is the 10 hole pickguard version and I don't want to drill any holes in this bass for a 13 hole pickguard.
That has seriously limited my choices to either an off the shelf gold anodised 'guard or a custom made number.
I have managed to snag a used Fender Gold anodised 'guard off eBay so once that arrives and I check the hole alignment then I can either go with that or use it as a template to get something made. If I go for a Tort it would have to be something like this:

But we will see :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1394457310' post='2391482']
Noisyjon, can you work your pictorial magic with one of them black and white checkerboard scratchplates? Just kinda curious. Only seen one on Steve Harris's blue one.
[/quote]

Not with that online P bass designer Karlfer, no. Sorry.
That's a job for a Photoshop user I'm afraid as that's well out of my league... Anyone out there that can do that?

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1393939603' post='2386017']The white looks like 'my first bass'[/quote]

I agree it's a terrible combination. Norman Cook rocked it with The Housemartins but they had an amateur vibe going on anyway.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394298198' post='2390049']anodised gold ... It makes the bass look like a footballer's bathroom suite.[/quote]

Nail on head.

I don't dislike tort on black, but I think a black P bass can only really do a rosewood fingerboard and a B/W/B pickguard. That's if you're foolish enough to buy a black bass in the first place and weren't aware that every photo of a black bass is a photo of greasy fingerprints.

I voted for black coat and a Tortoise pickguard. Dark as a black pick but more complexity in a tortoise :)

But black with gold anodized pick is also splendid.

Meshell plays a PJ black with a gold pick.
She takes it at 2:40 but starts playing at 3:10. A bass "duo" with Pino Palladino. Even with 2 basses playing at the same time, it sound musical. Great lesson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXTa4SnzDc