Why become a member? ×

Bass Magazines am I missing something ?

Marcus

[quote name='ARGH' post='235285' date='Jul 8 2008, 09:24 PM']There are,But to me 'Bass Player's' the best by a country mile,in content,research,humour,and general GOOD information.[/quote]

agreed it's a great read, but what else is out there ?

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='235403' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:07 AM']Yeah, totally agree, Bass player is far better than BGM.[/quote]

I think some of the articles / interviews are good in Bass Player but don't like it's "Americaness" compared with the very British attitude of BGM
Maybe I just have an anti USA attitude......to most things.....except Jaco and the Fender Jazz, V8 engines, Saturn 5 ......
no must be the mag...

[quote name='Prosebass' post='235408' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:14 AM']I think some of the articles / interviews are good in Bass Player but don't like it's "Americaness" compared with the very British attitude of BGM
Maybe I just have an anti USA attitude......to most things.....except Jaco and the Fender Jazz, V8 engines, Saturn 5 ......
no must be the mag...[/quote]
Its your loss,Ive chatted to contributors of 'Bassplayer',and I know its nice being patriots,but the whole mag is sleeker,better designed...better written,better all round,etc etc

I know they have a sky high budget compared to 'our' mag,but I prefer to have no attitude. For 16 years Its nearly always held the standard (Richard Johnson years made it dip....best years are now with Bill Leigh,and the Jim Roberts era)

I think it is great that the UK has its own dedicated bass guitar magazine. I subscribe to it and found last months the best so far.
It is changing all the time, with interviews with Peter Hook and Charlotte Cooper, who I think is an excellent, dynamic bassist, like JJ Burnel.
Good rag and a good selection of gear.

I've been reading Bass Player since 1991, when Billy Sheehan was on the cover. I have a subscription which makes it much cheaper and easier than going to WH Smith or wherever every month.

I've always found it a great read and I'll even read the interviews with people I've never heard of. You always get a different and interesting point of view.

I have read the UK's Bass Guitar Magazine, but it doesn't hold a candle to BP. The writing and reviews are not up to the same standard and I don't particularly like the lessons either. As usual just my point of view....

[quote name='steve-soar' post='235445' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:07 AM']I agree that BP mag is more sophisticated but BGM is aiming for a wider audience.
That must surely be a good thing, as we were all once beginners.[/quote]

BGM is ok, but BP is head and shoulders more professional IMHO. What I never understand is how BGM manage to let so many typos and spelling errors creep in to the copy. I know some folks don't give a toss but to me it looks very unprofessional, they wouldn't spell Fender incorrectly, so why spell focused incorrectly? Also they reviewed the Status Streamline fairly recently but called it the "Streamliner". For me, this is not good enough. I have a subscription nonetheless. It's an ok magazine.

To be honest (am I the only one who types that anymore??), I think they're both pretty shoddy.

BassPlayer is full of crappy adverts using phrases like "Holdin' it down with the Dawg Pound" etc etc, and BGM lacks the bollocks to call a peice of kit sh*t when reviewing it.

I still buy both though. I think BGM has potential but needs a kick up the arse.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='235578' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:23 AM']To be honest (am I the only one who types that anymore??), I think they're both pretty shoddy.

BassPlayer is full of crappy adverts using phrases like "Holdin' it down with the Dawg Pound" etc etc, and BGM lacks the bollocks to call a peice of kit sh*t when reviewing it.

I still buy both though. I think BGM has potential but needs a kick up the arse.[/quote]

:) I couldn't agree more!

Yes to USA Bass Player magazine for their mature style of writing and straight forward way of thinking.
Slightly indifferent to some of the UK's "matey, jokey and clever" style of writing.
Both mags provide us with a wealth of info. (We'd always like more pics though).
In the UK mag, bass and gear reviews are followed with a plus or minus box. Giving a "minus" to a £199 acoustic bass because it had "no frills" I thought was stating the obvious. (It cost me £350+ for parts for building a bass!) Another bass was given a "plus" and then also a "minus" because at £1800, it was deemed to be "expensive". Really?
It would be good if the UK mag did a bumper edition for new gear from the trade fairs. I seem to remember a fairly sparce review from one fair, no mention of Mark Bass even, a top world bass gear manufacturer these days.

There used to be a great magazine called "Bassist" which covered any level bass player and was actually an interesting read. Then, supposedly due to lack of readership, it got merged into "Guitarist" magazine - and by merged I mean bass guitar got three pages per month...

I did try Bass Guitar Magazine for a time, but it just got dull a dishwater and often seemed to forget that not everyone is a)a genius player or b)has the money to afford high-end kit all the time.

The US mags are okay, but the newsagents in my locality don't seem to get them too regularly.

Edited by Dave Dubya

I'm a BGM subscriber, but was so disappointed with the last issue (#37) I felt like writing to the Editor (which is still on my To Do list).

I do like being exposed to bass players I've never heard of if they have touched the walls, but Charlotte who???? The rest of the mag took no time to finish.

Having recently read Guy Pratt's book, I dug out the issue he was interviewed in. That issue is so meaty and interesting that I'm re-reading it. And it will take 10 times as long to get through than the last issue.

If anyone from BGM is reading this, please note that you are SO missing out on a win-win opportunity with your website. A) put up all editorial content, once it is say six months old, and B ) make it interactive (web 2.0 'n all that) and C) get an e-newsletter going to anyone that registers. There's advertising revenue and increased subscriber interest in it for them, and accessible content for readers.

Duh?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='235768' date='Jul 9 2008, 03:07 PM']........CBT - that kind of thing.[/quote]

Now that's just dangerous - isn't that some kind of deviant behaviour on a moped or lightweight motorcycle under 125cc?

[quote name='Dave Dubya' post='235655' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:44 PM']There used to be a great magazine called "Bassist" which covered any level bass player and was actually an interesting read. Then, supposedly due to lack of readership, it got merged into "Guitarist" magazine - and by merged I mean bass guitar got three pages per month...[/quote]

I miss Bassist. :) I have every issue. And I haven't bought another bass mag since Bassist stopped. Even though I won a free year's subscription to UK Bass Guitar Magazine at college, I didn't cash it in. I really don't think the others cut it.

I think I must be Seriously missing something here. Am I reading a different magazine to everyone else because despite the fact that I do buy the "american one" as I refer to it, all I ever see in it are endless adverts for the same old sh*t gear, and the same old bass "virtuoso" interviews. How many times can victor wooten say the same old stuff about nature and its spirit in music. I like the guy and hes talented but its the same old stuff over and over. Dont even get me started on that Jaco "bass of doom" article.....ITS NOT THE SAME f***in BASS YOU MUPPETS talk about triggers broom, that just sealed my opinion.

I seriously think I must be an absolute un-educated dum dum (probably by the looks of it) to like the british mag more. It has more content, its nice and informal / friendly to read, loads of gear in there to look at, bass players from bands I have heard of. (ok not all of them great) At least they are real bass players talking about their gear why they got started...brilliant! All I seem to read in "the american one" are articles on jazzers I have never heard of, virtuoso players, or bass players from obscure american metal indie bands, who talk more about fecking yoga than gear and playing.

I love Bass Guitar Magazine, they have constantly improved the magazine and like the whole of britain are slightly flawed but very loveable on the whole. I like having a mag from both sides but to give the Uk one a slating on here is just a bit harsh I think. (bit pot and kettle there but still)

I just cant deal with that much "yeah go america, isn't it great, DAWG!"

I bought a couple of editions of a Bass Magazine that came with a cd and was U.K based (can't remember the name) but it had loads of transcriptions and tutorials in it and was supposed to be every 3 months but it seemed to just disappear it was a few years ago now but it was really good anyone remember it? How many issues did they do?

[quote name='Zach' post='235882' date='Jul 9 2008, 04:57 PM']I dont bother with proper bass magazines, I do read www.bass-musician-magazine.com though[/quote]
Why haven't I heard of this before? Their list of writers and contributors is jaw-dropping.

[quote name='NJE' post='235867' date='Jul 9 2008, 04:43 PM']I think I must be Seriously missing something here. Am I reading a different magazine to everyone else because despite the fact that I do buy the "american one" as I refer to it, all I ever see in it are endless adverts for the same old sh*t gear, and the same old bass "virtuoso" interviews. How many times can victor wooten say the same old stuff about nature and its spirit in music. I like the guy and hes talented but its the same old stuff over and over. Dont even get me started on that Jaco "bass of doom" article.....ITS NOT THE SAME f***in BASS YOU MUPPETS talk about triggers broom, that just sealed my opinion.

I seriously think I must be an absolute un-educated dum dum (probably by the looks of it) to like the british mag more. It has more content, its nice and informal / friendly to read, loads of gear in there to look at, bass players from bands I have heard of. (ok not all of them great) At least they are real bass players talking about their gear why they got started...brilliant! All I seem to read in "the american one" are articles on jazzers I have never heard of, virtuoso players, or bass players from obscure american metal indie bands, who talk more about fecking yoga than gear and playing.

I love Bass Guitar Magazine, they have constantly improved the magazine and like the whole of britain are slightly flawed but very loveable on the whole. I like having a mag from both sides but to give the Uk one a slating on here is just a bit harsh I think. (bit pot and kettle there but still)

I just cant deal with that much "yeah go america, isn't it great, DAWG!"[/quote]

I agree that the UK mag is slightly better, but that ain't saying much.