Why become a member? ×

iOS for the gigging Bassist

tayste_2000

I want an Apogee Jam but lightning ;)

Not sure on a work around for the iPad 2 but I'd get something like the behringer FCB1010 and an Alesis idock (1)

That setup worked really well with my ipad 1, and 3 but ultimately I wanted to get it as small as possible and am always running the latest ipad anyway.

I've been beta testing a new app from Positive Grid last weekend, it's interesting, not a game changer but interesting.

Thanks. I just bought a new iPad after flogging my old one. The Blue Job Thing will work now. I also have a processor which might not get as tired :)

I owned an FCB1010 once. The idea of making it work with an iPad makes me see in different colours.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1441620237' post='2860223']
Haha, it's quite easy because you let the fcb1010 send what it does in default and prog the ipad to take what it sends and do what you need.
[/quote]

That sounds so easy. But not in my world!

• 1 month later...

I have purchased JamUp, a Sonic Port and am really enjoying the experience. I tried it out at band rehearsal through my amp and it was awesome.
When playing live I use my iPad Air with the Onsong app for tabs, lyrics etc. I want to continue to have this facility at the same time as running JamUp (in the background mode, obviously) but want to be able to change between patches on the fly without going back into JamUp. Does anybody know if any of the Bluetooth controllers work in this way?
Thanks.

I've bought a few apps but don't have an interface yet - I've left it on purpose as the wife can never think of anything to get me for Christmas as I tend to just buy everything myself!

I've been trying to decide between the following setups and am probably going with the Focusrite:[list]
[*][b]Sonic Port [/b]- Cheap, good selection of I/O ports, but no gain control or physical volume controls and does not charge the device.
[*][b]Sonic Port VX[/b] - Adds a mic that I won't use and charging capability.
[*][b]Focusrite iTrack Dock[/b] - This has knobs for gain and line/headphone output level, charges the device, and is only £105 from Bax Shop.
[*][b]iRig Pro Duo + Powerbridge pass through charger[/b] - This would give me the same plus Android/Mac/PC compatibility and a better form factor (no need to remove my iPad from the case, also would work with an iPhone), but it works out a lot more expensive.
[*][b]Apogee One[/b] - Also expensive, paying for a mic I don't need, deceptively large, and I don't like it's flimsy looking breakout cable.
[/list]
One thing putting me off about the Sonic Port is a relatively small number of users complaining about headroom issues with hot basses due to there being no gain control. Anybody here ever found clipping an issue with theirs?

I love the sonic port, it's so simple and works.

The only other interface I'd consider is the track dock by Focusrite, but it's so easily outdated when the shape of the iPad or connector changes. (like my first Alesis dock)

I've been tempted with everything else on your list but never had an issue with either of my sonic ports, I use them on a range of instruments, in a range of settings.

it's a cheap way to get started.

The only other one I've considered is the Apogee Duet so that I can use it with a soft step controller over usb.

But these days I'm barely using the iPad and just grabbing my phone when I have to.

When Flux for iPhone comes out my iPad will be used for reading magazines only

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got my sonic port (after reading this thread), and had bought jam up when it was on sale (which I note it is again at the moment). Very impressed with the sound of it all.
I see lots of people are using Jamup live. Has anyone had it fail while they were playing live, or is everyone confident that it wouldn't happen?

Also, whats the difference between jam up effects and bias fx?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just been playing with the Ampeg sims in the new GarageBand update, I think I prefer them to the ones I've paid good money for in other apps!

The only thing that bugged me was the lack of latency control in GarageBand until I realised I could use AudioBus to drive it and lock it to 128 samples, which is pretty much instantaneous!

• 2 months later...

Well quality is subjective, I'd say Bias ones are better. But I'm so heavily invested in Jamup (and it does the job) it's a lot of effort for me to switch.

If I was starting again I'd start with Bias (that said not having an iPhone version is a downside as effectively between Jamup and Jamup Pro, I have 4 apps available to me across 2 devices, all presets synced etc and this gives me a lot of backups)

But in short Bias sounds better and is far more flexible

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1462827111' post='3046123']
Thanks very much I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Alan
[/quote]

Having got both (I blame TaySte!) I'd say I can't hear a huge difference through phones and live it won't make a difference but the fact jam up goes across both iPhone and iPad that's the win for me. Jamup seems more intuitive to me