Why become a member? ×

Going commando this weekend

thebassman

Not what you think, thankfully.

I've got a gig in Hoxton tomorrow night and the venue have just informed us we have to use the house backline.

It's a trace Elliot commando, anyone got any experiences with these?

I did have a look on google, seems to be a 1x15, 150 watt combo.

I'm guessing it is just used for stage monitors.

cheers

thebassman

Depends on lots of things...I wouldn't be chancing/trusting/considering it unless I knew the P.A and engrs.

That little box is not going to be enough if the band is loud on stage.
The drummer and gtr on any size stage will not hear it and you'll have to wind it up to get a really whiney nasally sound
which is just not a feel good factor on any sort of gig, AFAIAC...

This all means that you will need decent monitors which the bass can go thru... so unless you have 4 mixes on the mon mix, don't even consider
this is worth a chance, IMO/IME.

You may get away with 2 mixes but then that really questions what sort of P.A they have anyway, IMO and one of those mixes is going to be geared for the vox..and rightly so, and the other will have to be compromise mix for the rest of the backline....

So, a quick call to the engr and telling him you want 4 full range mon mix with everything back at you and see what he says...
Engrs don't actually like to promise this as their gear isn't always up to it..and that is ok..as long as you know and then you can decide accordingly.

Hmmm, I tend to agree with the others you may hear it if standing right in front of it, but the rest of the band will be unlikely to. These types of gigs irritate me, if insisting on using house gear, make the darn house gear suitable for purpose. For gigs like this I have my Zoom B3 which has amp-modelling on of my actual amp. I prefer to go into that, straight to FOH and get the soundman to make sure the band have enough bass through the monitors. That why I get my sound, rather than an amp I don`t know, plus we can then all hear it properly.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed.
There are 5 other bands on and the venue have insisted we all use the provided backline.
I haven't played any "originals" only gigs for a few years. I'd forgotten how much effort they are for not much reward.
I do prefer playing our own music to covers, but you always get treated more like cattle moving through the half hour slots.
I'll see if I can contact the sound engineer before I leave to see what can be done.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1393531054' post='2381608']

There are 5 other bands on and the venue have insisted we all use the provided backline.

[/quote]

This is clearly to save setup time. If every band's bass player insisted on using their own rig, that would somewhat eat into the evening!

If you did take your own rig you might have to let all the other herberts use it :o

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1393595488' post='2382369']
Your NX212 can't have a big footprint, can't you just put the Trace ontop of the Genz cab and then the Shuttle ontop of the Trace?
[/quote]
I would of liked to, but I have to catch the tube so will be a bit much to take.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1393540737' post='2381817']
This is clearly to save setup time. If every band's bass player insisted on using their own rig, that would somewhat eat into the evening!

If you did take your own rig you might have to let all the other herberts use it :o
[/quote]

here's where a nice small rig is nice. A MarkBass CMD121P combo is often enough, and with a single extension cab it's still small, portable... and sounds great (and loud). You can carry it in and set it while your drummer sets his cymbals, and take it away with you when you're done.