Why become a member? ×

I've got Gibson SG Bass itch !

Adee

I have an insatiable itch for a Gibson SG Bass ! why I do not know, I play Fender P and Thunderbird bass maybe its the thought of wearing shorts? Anyhoo if anyone wants to talk me into or talk me out of it then lets 'ave it ! Good, bad or ugly that is the question ?

Edited by Adee

Tried some cream ..... still won't go away ! I mustard-mitt the neck dive is not a concern for me, just fancy something different to the P-Bass but usable with pop, rock, classic rock, indie, bit-o-everything but fun to play too !

[quote name='Adee' timestamp='1393495920' post='2380901']
Tried some cream ..... still won't go away ! I mustard-mitt the neck dive is not a concern for me, just fancy something different to the P-Bass but usable with pop, rock, classic rock, indie, bit-o-everything but fun to play too !
[/quote]

We have two 2013 Gibson SG basses (brown faded and a heritage cherry standard) at work and I love them both. The SG standard is going for silly money so I have to fight temptation almost every shift. Normally I'm not a Gibson bass fan but they are both lovely examples and the tone from the standard is awesome. Fat and thumpy humbucker which oozes vintage rock vibes.

Sorry, this probably hasn't helped your (or my!) gas at all lol!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1393581294' post='2382101']

We have two 2013 Gibson SG basses (brown faded and a heritage cherry standard) at work and I love them both. The SG standard is going for silly money so I have to fight temptation almost every shift. Normally I'm not a Gibson bass fan but they are both lovely examples and the tone from the standard is awesome. Fat and thumpy humbucker which oozes vintage rock vibes.

Sorry, this probably hasn't helped your (or my!) gas at all lol!
[/quote]
hi,where do you work ?
I'm just about to pull the trigger on an SG from Dawson's.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1393410141' post='2379806']
Do the 30.5" scale ones dive as bad as the 34" ones?
[/quote]

I tried an epiphone EB0 34" first which dived a fair bit. The tokai EB3 32" dives less so. It doen't bother me, I suppose you get used to it.

I just love the look, the feel & the thump. I've never changed the flats since I got it several years since. I guess that a fair number of BC's would not share my views.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1393717332' post='2383774']
Isn't the EB0 30.5 inch? EB3 is 34. Being as I've spent my entire life wanting to be Jack Bruce, it seems only natural etc etc.....
[/quote]

Maybe you're right, it was some years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

You probably don't want to hear this, but I did walk past a 34" original '70s SG bass in one of the windows along Denmark St a couple of weeks ago.

Very few things have given me GAS since I got my Thunderbird, but this was one of them. Probably just as well I didn't go in and ask "just to try it," else I think temptation would have got the better of my credit card. Practically chewing a knuckle off just thinking about it now...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1396436055' post='2413485']
You probably don't want to hear this, but I did walk past a 34" original '70s SG bass in one of the windows along Denmark St a couple of weeks ago.

Very few things have given me GAS since I got my Thunderbird, but this was one of them. Probably just as well I didn't go in and ask "just to try it," else I think temptation would have got the better of my credit card. Practically chewing a knuckle off just thinking about it now...
[/quote]

DO IT