Why become a member? ×

Snarky Puppy UK tour - anyone else going?

kevin_lindsay

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1396995110' post='2419681']
I'll see them at The Southport Weekender in May. I'm there with Archie Bell & The Drells.
[/quote]

You're PLAYING with Archie Drell? Wow! Tighten up is such a nice track to play!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1397055636' post='2420208']

You're PLAYING with Archie Drell? Wow! Tighten up is such a nice track to play!
[/quote]

I am and yes it is! Played with him at the Indigo2 back in November and also doing a Northern Soul Weekender in Skegness in September. It's a dream gig!

• 4 weeks later...

So, who's at Cheltenham for Snarky tomorrow? It's my birthday today, got "tell your friends" cd (it's great!) and staying at Montpellier Chapter (sw@nky!) tonight and tomorrow, Dinner at the Petit Blanc tonight, all courtesy of Mrs. MBA. What a nice birthday weekend lineup!

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

Well, last night I saw the band in Glasgow. I was right at the front, centre stage. I spent the whole gig grinning from ear to ear as it was just so goid - and so much FUN!!!!

I'm now 50 and that was the best live music experience I've ever had. Inspirational stuff - and only £15 for the ticket! There was a young girl in her 20s beside me (a bassist - good choice young lady!). She was accompanied by her mother, who said she "knew nothing about music". After the set, her mother turned to me and ssid, "well, that was the best £15 I've ever spent. Thst was amazing"!! I have to agree with her.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140501_191003.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/Mobile%20Uploads/20140501_191003.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Got my ticket for tonight in Brum....should be a cracker by all accounts.
Here's a preview from earlier in this tour.....check out the P-Funk nod at 4.00.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8CqPWAj00

The Gronau clip above ' that was a completely different set to the one in Glasgow on thursday 1st May. In Glasgow the set was really up tempo, plus the band were set up in a different layout.

As for the sound - it was great! Not sure how it was in Cheltenham last night?

The sound, especially in the first half was very poor, boomy and quite chaotic sounding. As above, the bass had little definition. As it went on,the sound got a bit better, and the quieter passages were really nice.
I would have loved it to be in a smaller venue where they weren't trying to do a big rock show, as this is groovy, subtle music, and in this particular venue, these things were lost a fair bit of the time. The highlights were still good, but on the whole, I was left a bit disappointed.
For loud music, Cheltenham Town Hall really needs some acoustic treatment, imho.

Bit difficult to comment on the sound at Brighton last night as I didn't hear too much of the pa being positioned here:

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/2014-05-05200814_zps668aba54.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/4Strings1/2014-05-05200814_zps668aba54.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

However, thoroughly enjoyed the gig, one of those 'musical experiences' type gigs that will stay with me.

Get to see them if you can. Mr League is an incredible bass player - on flats too! - but that's not the story.

It was a really great gig last night but we were stuck at the back behind a gathering of giants. I could see a few heads & shoulders onstage but Mrs PTB & my daughter couldn't see a thing despite shuffling around the venue.

Still, musically it was superb.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1399530764' post='2444993']
It was a really great gig last night but we were stuck at the back behind a gathering of giants. I could see a few heads & shoulders onstage but Mrs PTB & my daughter couldn't see a thing despite shuffling around the venue.

Still, musically it was superb.
[/quote]

We got there early (7.45 ish) and already the best spot to be found was the third level balcony (same height as the mix desk). We couldn't see the whites of their eyes but had a full view of the stage. Great show, marginally better than Tuesday's as well.