Why become a member? ×

Flats on a P, Blimey! What about on a 'ray?

stingraybassman

After reading many a thread of flats vs rounds I decided I would stick some (chromes) on my 63 RI P and see what all the commotion is about.

Completely blown away, the tightness of the low end and overall smoothness has me converted. Can still get plenty of bite with a pick. I'll try to get some clips up at some point.

Was wondering if anyone has experience of flats on a Stingray?

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1392661367' post='2371275']
So which flats have you used and what size. Thinking of putting them on my MM SUB
[/quote]

I had an unused set of Roto 77's 45-105..lying around so stuck them on there, they are a bit high tension for my liking, but sound pretty good.
I have my stock Fender 45-100 steel flats here as well, which I think will go back on.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1392665126' post='2371361']
Is there difference in tension between the D Addario Chromes and the EB flats?
[/quote]

With EB Flats, the higher the Group number, the lower the tension.

IIIs are about normal flats tension for me (eg a little bit more tense than standard gauge round wounds).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1392671336' post='2371517']
With EB Flats, the higher the Group number, the lower the tension.

IIIs are about normal flats tension for me (eg a little bit more tense than standard gauge round wounds).
[/quote]

So would the Chromes have a higher tension than the EBs? Secondly if I wanted an EB with a similar tension to standard round wounds would that be a II guage?

I ask this because I have had problems with my MM SUB strings (in another post). I think that the string tension has been too high.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1392713725' post='2371792']

So would the Chromes have a higher tension than the EBs? Secondly if I wanted an EB with a similar tension to standard round wounds would that be a II guage?

I ask this because I have had problems with my MM SUB strings (in another post). I think that the string tension has been too high.
[/quote]

Strings of any kind are a personal choice, higher string tension or compliance doesn't really suggest how good or bad a string will play or sound as that's a very subjective thing.

If you are wondering about string tension d'addario do publish their tensions on line, and give different values for different things of the same string. Very informative.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1392713725' post='2371792']

[/quote]

I haven't tried Chromes but I think the EB strings are superb and suprisingly low priced. You get the zing for the first few months (although not as zingy as nickel rounds) but then they turn much more thumpy, warm and subdued in the highs.

The Group III's are lower tension than the Group II's. You may find the Group III's are still fairly tense compared to rounds of a similar gauge, (they aren't as flexible) but the III's would be the best starting point.

But, you could try Group IV's! Even lower tension.