Why become a member? ×

Just joined. Sayin hi. Advice needed for cleanup of fender jv bass

TheBishop

Just retrieved my old bass from the attic. It's been there for about 17 years! Still in tune! The pick guard is a little warped and the chrome isn't great in places. Wondering what I can do to fix it up.

It's a Fender (1st issue squire) JV07xxx. Sunburst rosewood neck. Bloody lovely sound so hopefully I can get it lookin good too.

[quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392511330' post='2369638']
Just retrieved my old bass from the attic. It's been there for about 17 years! Still in tune! The pick guard is a little warped and the chrome isn't great in places. Wondering what I can do to fix it up.

It's a Fender (1st issue squire) JV07xxx. Sunburst rosewood neck. Bloody lovely sound so hopefully I can get it lookin good too.
[/quote]

Sandwich it between two heavy plates of glass and leave it in the sun (if you can find any) for a while. That'll do it.

[quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392540930' post='2369740']
Coke for the chrome? I'll try that too... Sure it's safe?
[/quote]

Well if you can drink it, so I'd say so... probably. ;)
I believe you could also try brown sauce... HP and and the like.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1392538707' post='2369717']

Sandwich it between two heavy plates of glass and leave it in the sun (if you can find any) for a while. That'll do it.
[/quote]
.... or a bright, warm windowsill above a radiator.

Welcome to life BC.. Or should that be "life @BC"?

[quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392551395' post='2369887']
Quick question before I post photos. Should I post picture or txt containing the full serial number? I've seen a few posts where it says they shouldn't be. Can't see why not?
[/quote]

Some people block the serial number (me included) so that scammers can't claim it was their bass and that it has been stolen from them. However I suspect the likelihood of this happening is fairly low. :) Just providing the first four or five numbers is enough to date the bass anyway, so even if dodgy play is unlikely why take the risk, is my view.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392558897' post='2369989']
Thanks for that. I'll play safe. Will keep those shots for my own records. Images can be seen on [url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1lac1jzl99hmxx/7DGiT2TcBO"]https://www.dropbox....hmxx/7DGiT2TcBO[/url] not sure if links work on the forum... let's see.
[/quote]

Excellent, lovely bass.
You can post pics by copying dropbox direct link, clicking green 'image' square in reply editor and pasting in the URL.

I beg to remain His Grace's most obedient servant.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392562553' post='2370033']
Thanks. I'm looking forward to fixing it up. Anyone recommend the best strings to get for it? It's been 17 years since I bought guitar strings!
[/quote]

Strings are a personal choice, its really up to you to decide. However, if you havent it played for a while, I would probably go a for a lighter gauge like Ernie Ball Super Slinkys in the day glo pink pack. Less tension and easy on the fingers.

Edited by Hobbayne

[size=4][quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392628959' post='2370677'][/size]just tried sharing the dropbox images. didn't work... ah well.
[/quote]

Go to Dropbox, click on thumbnail to get big pic, right click, 'View Original', right click, 'Copy Image URL', click on green 'image' square in Basschat reply editor and paste in URL... though admittedly it's a pain in the arse and you're probably better off just posting the dropbox link! Which you've already done, of course... :unsure:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1392637462' post='2370835']
Here's a pic of the one stolen from a gig I did last year:
[/quote]

:lol:
Probably easily hid it under His robe, unsuspecting standers-by not realizing His wood was actually tonewood.

Edited by BassTractor