Why become a member? ×

Active or passive PA

bonzodog

Cheers for the help guys. I think at present I am leaning toward active, as I have also just aquired a fairly decent none powered mixer so just need a pair of active tops and we are away. We will add bass bins at a later date but can still hire them for the time being if needed.
I think I may try out the Mackies that have been mentioned, as well as the EVs that I am already familiar with

Cheers

I bought a Sabine twin-channel feedback destroyer for my covers band about three years ago. I can honestly say that we've had not a single issue with feedback since, and that's maybe 70 gigs in at least 20 different venues.

It's fire & forget. No need for any tweaking, I don't even think about it.

Active or passive?

Seems a lot of people are concerned about running power all over the stage, which is a problem with both setups if you're using stage lights.

I've made some 4way black extension leads with 1m leads. Then I have a bunch of 1, 3 and 5m 2way extension leads which mean we can set up in pretty much any way in any space and keep the mains leads as short and tidy as possible.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392747585' post='2372304']
Seems a lot of people are concerned about running power all over the stage, which is a problem with both setups if you're using stage lights.

I've made some 4way black extension leads with 1m leads. Then I have a bunch of 1, 3 and 5m 2way extension leads which mean we can set up in pretty much any way in any space and keep the mains leads as short and tidy as possible.
[/quote]

+1

We also have a couple of rolls of that rubber cable protector stuff - one carries mains, the other carries the odd signal cables that need to go from front to rear of stage.
Stageboxes and multicores complete the setup and leaves us pretty much 'cable free' on stage.

A recent addition is a big hose reel with an added plywood disc mounted on the axle (making two distinct areas) for storing XLR cables - long ones on one side, short ones on the other.
We have banished the cable fairies. :D

I'd say cabling only becomes a problem if it isn't thought out and planned for beforehand. I don't mean before every gig, but planned as a stage area layout. yes, active cabs need mains power, so make up the appropriate cables. We buy or make up instruments leads, speaker leads, XLR leads so why not pay the same attention to mains leads?

I like to have enough cables/adapters to bring all the power back to a single point behind the stage. We then only need one cable to a suitable mains socket, via an extension lead if necessary. Simple.

If we're putting together a full-on set up with a remote desk then I use a 16/4 x 30m snake from behind the stage/band area to the desk. To save having mic, monitor and DI leads from the front of the stage/band area trailing across the stage I use an additional shorter 12/4 snake box at the front of the stage and around it to connect into the main snake box behind the stage. A single sheet of paper with a simple diagram of what goes to which channel makes it pretty quick and easy to set up.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392768597' post='2372646']
I'd say cabling only becomes a problem if it isn't thought out and planned for beforehand. I don't mean before every gig, but planned as a stage area layout. yes, active cabs need mains power, so make up the appropriate cables. We buy or make up instruments leads, speaker leads, XLR leads so why not pay the same attention to mains leads?

I like to have enough cables/adapters to bring all the power back to a single point behind the stage. We then only need one cable to a suitable mains socket, via an extension lead if necessary. Simple.

If we're putting together a full-on set up with a remote desk then I use a 16/4 x 30m snake from behind the stage/band area to the desk. To save having mic, monitor and DI leads from the front of the stage/band area trailing across the stage I use an additional shorter 12/4 snake box at the front of the stage and around it to connect into the main snake box behind the stage. A single sheet of paper with a simple diagram of what goes to which channel makes it pretty quick and easy to set up.
[/quote]

How's the Mackie? ;)

Got to say I don't follow the argument about cabling as a reason for not using active. I never, ever had an issue with it.

Edited by leftybassman392

Agree. You have a couple of power leads to cater for, but it is only a lead run...
You may even benefit once or twice by spreading the power load away from the power amp of a passive set up.
It is a non issue as far as I can see.

As per most P,A's I hear, I think QSC active cabs are quite a benchmark to beat, within their budget...and the only thing
I heard was a pr of Martin ICT500's which were far heavier, that were comparable in terms of sound and what you could
put through them with ease.
I think you have to spend a LOT more to get much better...so much so that most bands can't afford or justify the difference.

Having used both regularly, both have their merits and drawbacks. My own rig is a passive rig, the band's rig was active.

My passive rig currently consists of a pair of EV SX+ tops, an (admittedly) active HK Actor Sub and a Soundcraft Powerstation 1200 powered desk. The main thing I like about passive, is if an amp plays up, it's easy enough to quickly swap an amp out if required (used to run passive subs so got a spare Peavey CS1000). There're also less heavy lifts (just the desk really, as it's also flightcased - 54kg!), and then there's the advantages of only really needing to locate power for myself in one place (I set my rig up by the desk so I've got quick access if required).

So what about the active system? Well the one the band used is a Yamaha DXR12 pair with a DXS15 sub. It's a nice enough PA. My main gripes include powering it, more weight to lift onto speaker stands, and also if a punter carelessly knocks one over, there's more damage to be done (internal and external). However benefits wise, they do fit into the car better, and the desk has potential to be a lot more compact, making it easier to find somewhere to put it, and then there's no real need to worry about speaker cables as all the XLR is required to do is send a signal to the amp in each speaker. So it does work in that sense. However, sound and practicality wise, do I find the system to be worth £2500, I'm not sure. Compare that to paying less than £1000 for the EV system and sub...definitely not!