Why become a member? ×

To modify or to not modify..............advice needed

donslow

hello all, this is my first post here so please be gentle hahaha

I have a dilemma and need some honest advice, Im hoping someone here can help

I currently own an ibanez sr500 and a 20+ year old but fantastic condition Ibanez sr800le, I love both basses as I am quite a small guy and find the small bodies and necks easy to play on,

I have recently found myself starting a new blues project and really, ideally for it I need a precision bass (I have been looking for anything precision esque with a view to, if needed, swapping pickups and other hardware to get that proper precision bass tone)

the sr800le is the bass i use the least so in order to get a precision, that needs to go, problem being, despite having posted on various forums and other for sale sites for sales, trades, deals, whatever, no-one wants to buy an sr800le for some reason or other (I was led to believe that the late 80's/early 90's 800's were quite sought after now (apparently I have been misinformed) so I have left myself wondering the following..........

if I completely stripped the 800 and blocked up the existing pickup and tone/volume control holes and then redrilled and rerouted for precision sized pickups, would I end up with something that you could mistake for a precision soundwise?! I am aware that precisions (be it fender, squier or any other brand that does precision copies) tend to have chunkier necks and bodies than ibanez basses as a whole but I'm wondering if all that extra wood REALLY makes a difference

so my question to you low end gods and godesses would be, do I heavily modify the ibanez (and potentially ruin a perfectly good bass in its own right) and hope for the best or do I persevere and continue contacting countless amounts of people in regards to buying/swapping/trading for a precision (be it fender, squier or otherwise) and wait until someone says, yes, I'll do a trade/swap with you?!

ANY advice on this will be much appreciated and heeded
many thanks
Dan

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1392318251' post='2367360']...ANY advice on this will be much appreciated and heeded...[/quote]

Good evening, Dan, and welcome to the forum...

Disclaimer: I'm a drummer, am quite (read: very...) old, and have cloth ears.

Having said that, I don't know how many folks would know, from listening alone, whether you're playing a Fender or an Ibanez. I would have thought, looking at the configuration, that it would be quite easy to get a 'P-ish' sound from the Ibby..? Is there really [i]that [/i]much difference in sound..? I'm not trying to talk you out of a Fender; they're excellent too, but I don't think you're giving credit enough to your current bass to be able to fill a wide range of roles. Try a set of flat-wounds, roll off a bit of treble... I certainly wouldn't go down the carpentry route. If the difference being looked for is slight, there's no point; if the difference is major, surgery won't deliver the goods.
Try experimenting a bit more with what you already have..?
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

It sound like you have the knowledge to take on a project, but seem really reluctant to do it to a bass in good condition. What about building a kit like this:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Kits-for-LP-ST-and-Bass-Great-Student-and-Luthier-Projects-Big-Choice-/161120403032?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&var=&hash=item2583863e58"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Kits-for-LP-ST-and-Bass-Great-Student-and-Luthier-Projects-Big-Choice-/161120403032?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&var=&hash=item2583863e58[/url]
Cheap enough and once you put some decent strings on they don't sound bad.

Thank you for your tuppance, I have tinkered with the guitar, tinkered with my amp settings, even tried compressor and eq pedals but the ibanez has a natural growl that just sounds to be a bit much for what I'm after, already playing flatwounds also, maybe I'm being too picky I wonder but the ibanez, to me, just has a certain presence that I'm looking to avoid

Does anybody know of any pbass copies (or indeed certain squier/fender models) that claim to have a slim, easy neck?! I know putting jazz bass necks on pbass bodies is popular which is something I would look at but just for the heck of it, are there any that come with a slightly slimmer/thinner neck that I should be looking at

The kits are something I looked at but I'm a little dubious about the quality and I've heard that the pickups supplied with these sort of things are hit and miss (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so I may well be looking at new pickups also

Again though, unfortunately for me, current situation determines, if I do just go for a new bass, ibanez has to go first but am grateful for everyone's help and input so far, keep it coming by all means

Try a Mustang. They're small bodied, short scale basses, with a good Precision type tone which would be good for blues. Check out ebay for secondhand ones. http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Squier_Vintage_Modified_Mustang_Bass_Guitar,_Black/FEN-032-8402-506?CAWELAID=1830895141&catargetid=1821941091&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLbB5_nyybwCFXGWtAodQVQAPw

Doesn't the old SR800le come with a P/J configuration anyway? (OK, a reverse P but it's still a P pickup) - a friend had one in the early '90s and it was a top quality bass (made in Japan) that sounded fantastic.
Silly question probably but have you tried really backing off the treble and some mids to mellow it's tone and lose that "in-your-faceness"?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Personally I would not mess with your old and faithful bass (I am a big Ibanez SR fan). If you really must have the P bass vibe why not keep your eyes peeled for a 2nd hand Squier?

There are plenty of P bass derivatives that have slim jazz like necks (for example the Lakland Duck Dunn)...but most aren't cheap!

Thanks again for all your comments

I had looked at mustang basses oddly enough but, not being the most experienced bassist was a little concerned about how short scale would affect overall tone if at all

I'd rather not mess with the sr800 but was looking here to see if it would've been worth it, I'm getting a general feeling that it wouldn't be wise

Have watchedany pbass squiers go on the bay recently, but for fear of sounding like a broken record, the ibanez has to go first before I can buy one

I'm quite surprised to be honest that no one has wanted to buy it as mentioned earlier I heard they were becoming quite sought after

I don't think I'm pricing it up too high on any of my add, does anyone know what they would be realistically worth today in a good, working condition?!

I understand money is tight, but keep an eye on the Basschat basses for sale section for a used Vintage V4 bass. They change hands here for about £80 (I've personally bought and sold one for that amount) and they are fantastic basses for the money that need no upgrading as the Wilkinson pickups and hardware are more than up to the job.

Check out this Vintage v American Fender video.
You get a hell of a lot of P bass for little expense with the Vintage. They're pretty lightweight too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-pBCyNu20

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1392329759' post='2367594']
I understand money is tight, but keep an eye on the Basschat basses for sale section for a used Vintage V4 bass. They change hands here for about £80 (I've personally bought and sold one for that amount) and they are fantastic basses for the money that need no upgrading as the Wilkinson pickups and hardware are more than up to the job.

Check out this Vintage v American Fender video.
You get a hell of a lot of P bass for little expense with the Vintage. They're pretty lightweight too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-pBCyNu20
[/quote]

Sounds promising, shall certainly have a look for one of those

Anyone wanna buy an ibanez hahaha

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1392333901' post='2367650']
are the 800`s active or passive? if theyre active you could just do away with the active pups and pre amp and chuck a set of passive ones in with a new harness,
[/quote]

That's similar to what I was thinking originally but just wasn't sure if it would sound right, after doing a bit of reading on it, it would appear that for p-bass setups the pickup has to be in an apparent "sweet spot" and after measuring up, the p pick up in the ibanez is off of that spot hence my suggestion of plugging it up and rerouting

I would have thought it would be worth a try as at the moment your fighting against the inherent sound of the preamp and if you had passive pups in it then eq`ing should be easier as its not coloured by the preamp, does that make any sense whatsoever cos it does in my head , it would probably be the cheaper option as well. :)

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1392334169' post='2367651']

That's similar to what I was thinking originally but just wasn't sure if it would sound right, after doing a bit of reading on it, it would appear that for p-bass setups the pickup has to be in an apparent "sweet spot" and after measuring up, the p pick up in the ibanez is off of that spot hence my suggestion of plugging it up and rerouting
[/quote]

I reckon they are in the sweetspot mate, they just look nearer to the neck as your SR800le has 24 frets instead of Fender's 20 (just googled some piccys out of interest).

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1392333309' post='2367641']
Sounds promising, shall certainly have a look for one of those

Anyone wanna buy an ibanez hahaha
[/quote]

Why not try advertising a sale in the Marketplace here..? £7 for a 'one-off' ad that reaches a very wide target audience..? Can't be bad, can it..? That's about the biggest bass-playing, GAS-ridden market in the UK. Surely worth a punt..?

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1392335318' post='2367667']

I reckon they are in the sweetspot mate, they just look nearer to the neck as your SR800le has 24 frets instead of Fender's 20 (just googled some piccys out of interest).
[/quote]

Will have aanother look at it, thanks for the info

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1392337259' post='2367682']

Why not try advertising a sale in the Marketplace here..? £7 for a 'one-off' ad that reaches a very wide target audience..? Can't be bad, can it..? That's about the biggest bass-playing, GAS-ridden market in the UK. Surely worth a punt..?
[/quote]

Was thinking about it to be honest, being new on here, still trying to suss it all out