Why become a member? ×

2014 Walnut Thunderbird.

Samashton12

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1392211493' post='2365968']
With all-chrome hardware (pups and surrounds), that'd look even more lovely. And something done about that frickin bridge... :D
[/quote]

Chrome Bridge & Tuners with no pickguard. :gas:

I understand the issues with the bridge but the Supertone looks so wrong! :(

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1392218308' post='2366077']
Would you pipe down if they let some out with chrome current hardware? ;)
[/quote]

Maybe?

I'm sure the Supertone bridge is vastly superior to the Gibson 3-point bridge from a technical aspect, but I can't help but think that (on the Thunderbird in particular) it looks mighty ugly. The two-piece Badbird Bridge looks (to me) a lot better - and IIRC Mike Lull thinks so too.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1392219823' post='2366102']
Maybe?

I'm sure the Supertone bridge is vastly superior to the Gibson 3-point bridge from a technical aspect, but I can't help but think that (on the Thunderbird in particular) it looks mighty ugly. The two-piece Badbird Bridge looks (to me) a lot better - and IIRC Mike Lull thinks so too.
[/quote]

You're probably right about the Thunderbird. I think the Supertone suits the RD very well, but that's probably because the RD is bonkers to start with.

The trouble is that Gibson have made their bed, have been lying in it since 1973 (apart from a few dalliances - Grabber/G-3, Victory/Explorer, Schaller 3D, and most recently - Babicz) so they're bloody well stubbornly going to lie in it for better or for worse. To my mind, the best bridge ever to grace a Gibson bass was the Schaller 3D derived Wedge bridge on Victories and some Explorers. But that'd probably look ridiculous on a Thunderbird too, the baseplate is quite long.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1392240451' post='2366446']
Lovely looking bass but that god awful '120th anniversary' 12th fret inlay just puts me off all the 2014 Gibson models!
[/quote]

I like it :) Just goes to show, what's right for someone is absolutely hideous to another...

I don't mind the Supertone on my Thunderland, functionally it's a great bridge (and it fits/covers the holes already there), but I agree the two-piece original bridge looks best on a Thunderbird.

The Schaller 3D (and its derivatives) is my No.1 favourite bridge, tho.

If I can add my thoughts here and to clarify. I'm running five Gibson Thunderbirds, all have Hipshot Supertone bridges. These are great pieces of hardware and most importantly, they are drop in replacements, taking minutes to install.

The two piece Badbird bridges are great; by association elsewhere, Neeph and I know the guy who makes them. The major downside is that these units are not drop in and body modifications will be required. New mounting holes will need to be drilled and then you'd be left with three large holes visible in the body.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson