Why become a member? ×

mag vs abm cab. worth the upgrade?

LukeJackson

I had an ABM 1x15 and I wasn't too keen on it. On the other hand, a local venue I play at, swopped their MAG 410 for an an Ampeg SVT classic 410 and the sound improved phenomenally.

It's one of these. http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ampeg_SVT-410HLF_Bass_Speaker_Cab/AMPEG-SVT410HLF?CAWELAID=1830893008&catargetid=1873944471&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMuYzY2VwLwCFYUIwwodnn8AUA

I've tried both these and found them to be similar in tone but the ABM had a certain strength to the sound which felt reassuring. The early ABM's were made in the UK and were expensive, the later one's were made abroad cheaper and sold cheaper which affected the used price of the UK made ones and they can be picked up very cheaply. So ABM wins, UK made is preferred. MAG for boys ABM for men.

It wasn't chalk and cheese tonal differences between ABM and MAG... they were both wooly! :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I felt that the ABMs tended to hold together more whereas the MAG sounded like it was running out of headroom and wasn't far off it's limit. Just talking about the 2 4x10s as it isn't fair to compare the 8x10, though to be fair the 2x10 was an early ABM combo it was probably the best matched of them all. From which you could deduce that you need to consider which amp you are using when comparing the cabs (hasten to add I did use the same amp with the ABM/MAG 4x10). ;)[/size]

Having owned the ABM 4X10 it provided good bottom end but struggled with the mids. It was however much better sounding than the MAG equivalent.

If you are going brand new for an ABM then I would suggest looking at the forsale section on here. You can get much more cab for your cash.

What head are you running with it?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1392017301' post='2363512']
It wasn't chalk and cheese tonal differences between ABM and MAG... they were both wooly! :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I felt that the ABMs tended to hold together more whereas the MAG sounded like it was running out of headroom and wasn't far off it's limit. Just talking about the 2 4x10s as it isn't fair to compare the 8x10, though to be fair the 2x10 was an early ABM combo it was probably the best matched of them all. From which you could deduce that you need to consider which amp you are using when comparing the cabs (hasten to add I did use the same amp with the ABM/MAG 4x10). ;)[/size]
[/quote]

Another 'Ashdown cabs sound wooly' claim. Because of course, bands and artists like U2, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Blockheads, Elbow, Pino, John Entwhistle, Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam etc.... Would use wooly sounding equipment wouldn't they. For the record, whenever I play through my ABM amp and cab, people are totally blown away. A reputable sound engineer in Cardiff said it was the best bass tone he'd ever heard. Too many people on here jumping on the bandwagon I feel.

I ran two ABM 410s for a bit and thought they sounded very good indeed. Haven't used a MAG though so can't give a comparison I'm afraid. If it weren't for the fact that I literally got tired of hauling them both around in a VW Polo I'd still have them, no question. They were both UK-made if that makes a difference.

Good value, too. If you look hard enough you should be able to pick one up for around £150.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1392072948' post='2364477']
Another 'Ashdown cabs sound wooly' claim. Because of course, bands and artists like U2, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Blockheads, Elbow, Pino, John Entwhistle, Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam etc.... Would use wooly sounding equipment wouldn't they. For the record, whenever I play through my ABM amp and cab, people are totally blown away. A reputable sound engineer in Cardiff said it was the best bass tone he'd ever heard. Too many people on here jumping on the bandwagon I feel.
[/quote]

Of course they wouldn't have bothered recording multiple bass tracks through a multitude of processors in extremely professional environments and mastered the sh*te out of each track would they.....

I actually like the MAG in some situations. Works very well with my LH500. With the Reidmar it can lack some high mid/high end definition. It all depends on the other variables, ie. bass, strings, head, technique etc. The ABM was probably more tolerable of different heads. Both are decent enough cabs in my book. Construction quality on the ones I've used has been excellent. FWIW I sold the ABM and kept the MAG as my throwabout 410.

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1392072948' post='2364477']
Another 'Ashdown cabs sound wooly' claim.... Too many people on here jumping on the bandwagon I feel.
[/quote]

Not in my case; it isn't a 'claim', it is a recount of the sound that I heard when I played through all but the ABM 2x10 combo. One man's wooly is another man's deep/mellow/etc. and I personally didn't like the tone (inc' last week when I used the rehearsal rooms 8x10 instead of my Berg 2x12... but that is just MHO! ;)

After saying that you'll still note that I suggested that the OP go for the ABM over the MAG, I didn't try to persuade him to try brand XYZ, if he likes Ashdown then go for it. Oh and on the subject of users; give me free Ashdown gear and I'll use/advertise it all day long.

Oh hang on, that last bit was a lie! :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]Vive la difference. ;)[/size]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392055951' post='2364164']
I've been looking for smaller cabs than a 4x10 and all I can find is 4x10's... I think if I were upgrading, given the choice I would try something other than ashdown.
[/quote]

2x12s are smaller than 4x10s & are a vast improvement in most departments. I'm happy with a 2x10 for now though & my current one shifts more air than my Trace 4x10 could.

[quote name='LukeJackson' timestamp='1392081293' post='2364548']
Ill be running the abm500 head
If anyone can suggest a cab for around the same price id be More then happy to look into it =) cheers for the input guys so any suggestions? Ive looked into eden cabs which caught my eye and warwick which im 50 / 50 with
[/quote]
I had an USA Eden 410 xlt at the same time I had the 410 ABM and Eden wins hands down. I can't comment on the Warwick. How much are you looking to spend as I have a couple of Markbass 410's comming up for sale.

[quote name='LukeJackson' timestamp='1392114852' post='2364743']
Around 300-500 roughly
And as much as I like 1x15s I can never get on with them alone 410 and 115 though...oh yes
[/quote]
Then you need my Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 + 15 all in one box that's up in the for sale section.