Why become a member? ×

Favourite underrated bassist?

topheteatwo

Players aren't underrated by their fans, but some remain unknown by many or pass under the radar. Oteil Burbridge is a monster player who only bassists seem to have heard of. Ken Gradney has been a huge part of Little Feat over the years but I doubt many non bassists know him. Paul Frasier is a great player too (who maybe many bassists haven't heard) Check him out on David Byrne - Lazy (Live at Union Chapel). Cnt attach clip for some reason.

As much as i like frightningly good bass players like jimmy johnson, victor wooten, mark king and gary willis.
and i have alot of their stuff, bass players that nail that fundamental groove for me is where bass playing is at.
Jerome Preston and Rocco prestia's playing i love for that reason.

And so for that reason im going to submit our very own "gaz66", i think i have near to 20 cd's with him on
and can say his playing is as solid as the above players and tighter than a gnats chuff,
[u]( Mods, an interview with him on here would be great,?? i know if willing he has so much usefull info on live playing )[/u]

so my fave underated player is Garry Crockett who has played with Roy ayers Lisa Stansfield, incognoto, Tom Jones, Ian Dury to name a few..... you may know him from the "james taylor quartet" stuff
but also check out his playing on the " [url="http://www.discogs.com/artist/28364-New-Jersey-Kings"]New Jersey Kings[/url]" stuff and also for me back to where JTQ had its more fonkyerrr roots definitely check out the [url="http://www.discogs.com/artist/696635-Sound-Stylistics-The"]the Sound Stylistics,[/url] car chase and funk music at its best.

I think he is thinking of having a go at another sound stylistics cd, so maybe a bit of a push for one of our own ?
Well i for 1 cant wait for the next one, common gaz.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGEVm_DRiCE[/media]

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1392972548' post='2374714']
McCartney is now underrated, but it's utterly his own fault. On 'Wings at the Speed of Sound', he played some IMHO great bass lines. Since then, he seems to have forgotten about bass apart from posing with his Hofner at concerts. When was his last great bassline?[/quote]

I think he's more been over-shadowed by those who came since, many of who - knowingly or not - will have been "influenced" by him (There's that 'kin word that I hate again)
Certainly even though McC's new recordings get featured on Radio 2 etc on first release I don't think they set the world on fire. hardly surprising that he ran out of ideas after writing so many hits. (Jimmy Lea suffered the same fate.) But in the same way that Chuck Berry is no longer celebrated you just can't take away their major contribution, rating or relevance.
Personally I much prefer McCs Wings years rather than The Beatles. "Band On The Run" is just immense & is regularly broadcast to my neighbours on a cranked stereo.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1392997620' post='2375112']
Nah, the thread is for UNDERrated players ;)
[/quote]
If only it was.

There seems to a lot more RATED bass players in this thread than UNDERrated ones.

That was my point if it really needed explaining. ;)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1393080474' post='2375956']
bobby Paterson (from love and money, vastly underrated) and sadly no longer with us, what a great player he was.
[/quote]

Great call.

Bobby Patterson was a superb player in so many ways and I have always admired his taste and feel . Love and Money were one of the very best British bands of that era and they should have had much more success and a much longer career than they did.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1392933741' post='2374533']
What about Grog she is a great bass player and also rather sexy :)

[attachment=155764:download.jpg]
[/quote]

I suppose one man's "sexy" is another man's " Crikey, I hope she doesn't sit next to me!" on the bus.

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1392236008' post='2366378']
The late great Alan Spenner

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfKDYiF1jTw[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVvb3MS57yk[/media]

And George Murray....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sni7sc7CxD4[/media]
[/quote]

Two of my all-time favourite players who definitely don't get the kind of credit they deserve.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1391815969' post='2361759']
Probably Cliff Williams of AC/DC. Incredible discipline to play those lines and not want to branch out with a run or two, yet no, he hangs back , locks with the drums and lets the vocs and guitar do their thing. AC/DC may well have been a very different band without that approach.
[/quote]

Yes, good call.

AC/DC wouldn't be the same band without Cliff Williams. Although they were the same band with Mark Evans :ph34r: .

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1391857637' post='2362005']
James Lomenzo, IMO he is an awesome bassist but you never really here much about him .
[/quote]

Never hear much about him ? He's never off bleedin' You Tube! He's is always plugging some piece of gear or other, with or without a slightly suspect- looking beard. One day James will wake up and say " Do you know what? I think I've got enough free equipment now. "

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393082301' post='2376001']
Never hear much about him ? He's never off bleedin' You Tube! He's is always plugging some piece of gear or other, with or without a slightly suspect- looking beard. One day James will wake up and say " Do you know what? I think I've got enough free equipment now. "
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393081828' post='2375983']
Two of my all-time favourite players who definitely don't get the kind of credit they deserve.
[/quote]
Good call.

I also think that this whole thread should really be 'bass players that don't get the credit they deserve' rather than 'favourite underrated bassist'.

The majority of bassists listed are not underrated at all but many definitely don't get the credit they deserve.

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1391810181' post='2361681']
Mine is this the bassist from Brand New, criminally underrated, that riff is just great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHg1rKzWuE
[/quote]

+1 there are a couple of tracks where he does some really great, subtle work (see Gasoline)

My other pick would be Roger from Less Than Jake who regularly impresses me with quite intricate lines whilst sharing vocal duties. Below is a personal favourite example:

http://youtu.be/WG1ZtRs2TA8

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1391860288' post='2362046']
And Nigel Harrison from Blondie. He was not invited to take part in the reunion a few years back for some reason.
[/quote]

All that reunion was a bit rum. To start with they asked the original original bassist, Gary Valentine. They didn't include Frank Infante either. After a while they had session players for bass and guitar.