Why become a member? ×

Where are all the fretless basses?

JapanAxe

I played fretless exclusively for about 7 years but as the taste for it dropped do did my need for it and I haven't owned one for some time. However the band I play in just got a new guitarist who just happens to own a Wal mk1 lined fretless and he brought it along for me to play a few days ago.
Absolutely loved it. Was funny seeing everyone's reaction as I took to it again like riding a bicycle. No one in the band had heard me playing fretless before and couldn't believe the singing notes etc.

Happy playing fretted with flats for the moment though. Only slight GAS.....:-)

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1401320244' post='2462531']
I played fretless exclusively for about 7 years but as the taste for it dropped do did my need for it and I haven't owned one for some time.
[/quote]
I'm interested in what you mean by the taste for it dropped.

Edited by BetaFunk

I played fretless exclusively for about 7 years but as the taste for it dropped do did my need for it and I haven't owned one for some time. However the band I play in just got a new guitarist who just happens to own a Wal mk1 lined fretless and he brought it along for me to play a few days ago.

[/quote]
That's one cool guitarist you got there!

However the band I play in just got a new guitarist who just happens to own a Wal mk1 lined fretless and he brought it along for me to play a few days ago.
Absolutely loved it. Was funny seeing everyone's reaction as I took to it again like riding a bicycle. No one in the band had heard me playing fretless before and couldn't believe the singing notes etc.
[/quote]

Cool story! Brought a smile on my face.

The kids as well as my ex now gather around me and ask for money, and it's all your fault! :angry:

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1401355573' post='2462672']
Basically, the fashion for fretless has waned. Not as prominent in music as once was. Time to bring it back?
[/quote]
Thanks, yes i see what you mean. I suppose it needs someone in a popular group to play one and then it will be a Fretless frenzy!

I remember a friend of mine who was a Bass tutor moaning to me in the early 90s that every new pupil he took on wanted to play like either Jaco Pastorius or Jason Newsted.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1391815061' post='2361744']
Bad Company, Boz Burrell with fretless P bass on the early albums. Pretty far removed from 1980s fretless bass. Failing that, Jack Bruce, Cream re-union, again far removed from the 1980s sound. Fretless basses - great things, not a one trick pony.
[/quote]
I think that we've all got used to a Fretless giving a certain sound (like Jaco perhaps?) and have forgotten that they can be used in rock.
http://youtu.be/uAPUxvjbdcU

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1401367349' post='2462843']
lots of people saying no-one plays them but I'm pretty sure Juan Aldarete played one with The Mars Volta, and they were pretty big weren't they?
[/quote]
Are they still going as a band though?

Speaking of the difficulty in tracking one down...any recommendations for a beginner's fretless bass? Something that's sufficiently well made that it won't sound and play atrociously, but cheap enough that my bank manager won't be tutting disapprovingly if I realise it's not for me.

(I wasn't overly enamoured with the Squier VM Jazz, but I don't know if that was the rounds or the ebanol fretboard...do most of them sound better once you pop flats on?)

Ahem ... it doesn't help that the first two fretless basses you tried were a Wal Mk.II and a Veillette!

That's set the bar a bit on the high side, I fear.

Ebanol doesn't sound the same as ebony, but it's a pretty good sound in its own right. If you didn't like the VM I doubt it was the sound of the board that was putting you off.

Rounds give far more mwah, and plenty of beginners prefer them simply because of that - it's easier to make it "sound like a fretless".

To my ears, a fretless sounds far better with flats on but half-rounds or groundwounds really do offer a decent compromise.

The set-up is also key, since the difference between low and high action is (IMHO) accentuated on a fretless bass.

One final point - you need to play with the right line-up to really enjoy fretless. If you play with other instruments which can also involve dodgy intonation (slide guitar, violin, etc.) then the potential for appalling discord is always there.

I've got one..don't use it..don't really want it TBH..but I've got one...

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Shuker%20fretless/morebasses055_zpsa78e3c94.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Shuker%20fretless/morebasses055_zpsa78e3c94.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Haha, it certainly doesn't - I hope you realise I hold you (at least partly) responsible for my getting to this stage! (They were [i]beautiful [/i]instruments; thank you once again!)

I maybe judged the VM unfairly, as I didn't play around too extensively with the controls before the guy in the shop pointed me to a second-hand Warwick Corvette...but then, whilst I've settled on my general preferences for fretted basses (rounds, low action, passive), I am prepared to drop all my normal prejudices with fretless and start from scratch!

(Normally this is the point at which I'd say "guess it's time I went down to one of the big guitar shops in Surrey and try a couple"...but then we come full circle back to the OP's question!)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1401380029' post='2463054']
Normally this is the point at which I'd say "guess it's time I went down to one of the big guitar shops in Surrey and try a couple"...but then we come full circle back to the OP's question!
[/quote]

As OP for this thread, I have to confess I have recently sold mine in pursuance of the 1-in-1-out policy which I adopted for the purpose of retaining my manly appurtenances. However, when I was looking, I didn't find that many - even in the big Surrey shops.

I still haven't ruled out a lined fretless headless (cricket bat), on the grounds that I could easily hide it. I would get someone to take a date-stamped photograph of me playing it on a gig (not attended by Mrs Axe), then about 18 months later, stroll into the living room with it. When Mrs Axe says 'What? Another new bass?' I can reply that I've had it for years, before digging up the photo as proof.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1401380480' post='2463061']
I still haven't ruled out a lined fretless headless (cricket bat), on the grounds that I could easily hide it. I would get someone to take a date-stamped photograph of me playing it on a gig (not attended by Mrs Axe), then about 18 months later, stroll into the living room with it. When Mrs Axe says 'What? Another new bass?' I can reply that I've had it for years, before digging up the photo as proof.
[/quote]

Ha! Now that is a crafty plan - perhaps you should make sure you turn up to a couple of gigs with that day's newspaper, just to leave it in the corner of the photo. (I guess I was quite lucky; the last Ms Mooseblaster seemed to be strangely encouraging when I expressed an interest in buying another bass...)

OK, having watched this guy's demo, he makes the Squier VM sound pretty damn good, so I'm definitely reconsidering...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDIs-TbZ5og