Why become a member? ×

Criminally insanely cheap Westone Thunder 3 fretless £95

itsmedunc

[size=4][quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1391643915' post='2359809'][/size]
I hope somebody off here gets it. I had a fretted. The best bass I ever had... Sold it :(
[/quote]

There's a fretted one for £100 in the classifieds here right now!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1391647238' post='2359833']
[size=4]

There's a fretted one for £100 in the classifieds here right now!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think that one is a Thunder 1a and they aren't in the same league. If it is a Thunder 3 I cant find it! :o

Unfortunately, it's turned into a silent auction :(. If I didn't get in first I assume I got in early, however after sending the pictures through he let me know that someone has offered him getting on for double the asking price and he asked me to make an offer, so I left it at that. Shame as it looked like it could be a bargain, alas!

I doubt it is dodgy, I can just imagine someone has offered the asking price and either a) new person has offered more or B) he is asking for more due to interest. Who knows, but not one for me :) In his defence, his email to me implied he would take less than what he had been offered if it could be collected.

Edited by Kev

I had the same email as Kev as the seller and I were already in 'advanced negotiations' when he apparently had a call from someone who really wanted it and had offered £150 but wanted it shipped at that and he didn't want to courier it out. I was quite open and said I couldn't go that high as it needed money spending on it and work doing and I would have to travel down from Derbyshire to get it this weekend. He came back to me with a lower price if I came and collected it.

Net result - it is now on my dining room table covered in beeswax polish, de-strung and with the fretboard doing it's best to drink me out of lemon oil.

Tomorrow I start work on the electrics.

I also managed to pick up a set of Thomasik flatwounds from a music shop in Hammersmith while I was down there. I am a happy bunny.

Before anyone tells me it didn't happen, pics will be posted as soon as I can remember the password for my photobucket account........Again.

Coming soon - For Sale - 1 de-fretted Yamaha RBX370 due to the invocation of spousally agreed one-in-one-out clause. Probably......

Edited by Chris Sharman

I paid £25 over. Nice chap, even bought me and Mrs S a coffee as we had just driven for three hours to get there. Then went off and bought some parts for it from Maplin electronics (replacement knobs and switch) and a set of Thomastik Flatwounds from a shop in Hammersmith which were marked up at £40 but he offered them me for £30.

I actually feel like I have robbed people yesterday.

Right then after several hours of success (and occasional failure) I can report the following:

The good: neck is straight, everything works including the switch that is broken (it is only the toggle broken) Fretboard has come up nicely, body polishes up OK except where it has been mistreated in the past.

The bad: Body HAS been mistreated in the past. This thing has history. It seems the output jack socket also needs replacing and I don't have a spare one of those at present so it looks like another trip to Maplin in the morning. It has also had roundwound strings on for seemingly it's entire life meaning there are definite string marks on the board. I may have to get the board re-finished at some point however for now I simply want to see how it plays and will take it from there. The knobs were missing and I have had to replace them for now with some from Maplin. i will change these later for some black knurled aluminium ones but for now these will do.

The ugly: Someone hates Westone so much that they have sanded the Westone logos off the pickups. They also at some point tried to sand the one off the headstock but realised quite quickly that it was under the lacquer and stopped before doing any serious damage. For this they should be shot. or hung. or both.

Anywhoo it is now strung with flatwounds. This is the first time I have used flatwound strings and they are a revelation to me. How have i lived so long in denial of the playing pleasure I am now experiencing. This has opened my eyes to what I have been missing.

And now - to prove it did actually happen and that my hours of polishing, lemon oiling and generally tinkering have been worthwhile I present photos, enjoy!

http://s951.photobucket.com/user/stg47/media/IMAG02541.jpg.html
http://s951.photobucket.com/user/stg47/media/IMAG02501.jpg.html
http://s951.photobucket.com/user/stg47/media/IMAG02471.jpg.html
http://s951.photobucket.com/user/stg47/media/IMAG02511.jpg.html

Happy bunny alert!