Why become a member? ×

Flea to join 1D?

skej21

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1391429446' post='2356967']
Why go to the IOW to see a Californian ass? The IOW has a very famous one of its own:

:D
[/quote]

I believe that particular Ass got a movie part with an ogre and has since become a prima Donna, should bode well with the chili's then. Maybe

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1391430212' post='2356983']
I always thought that when you've made a lot of money it gives you the freedom to refuse to do this kind of playback-stuff.. unless they give you even more money.
I don't think that RHCP are poor (they got paid 500.000 euros to do a festival here in Belgium) so I guess they have a choice.
[/quote]

I think in this case it's more of an 'exposure' thing. One way or another Beyonce got a whole new audience after performing last year...

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1391439037' post='2357139']
I think in this case it's more of an 'exposure' thing. One way or another Beyonce got a whole new audience after performing last year...
[/quote]

Indeed! It's massive exposure. I don't the figures, but there was probably hundreds of millions of people watching the Superbowl all over the world. I doubt that Red Hot Chili Peppers really need that exposure, but it couldn't hurt either.

I would imagine it is more than likely that [i]all[/i] instruments involved in that show were pre-recorded and Flea was poking fun at this by unplugging his transmitter alltogether. The bassist with Bruno Mars had a wireless transmitted plugged in and he clearly wasn't creating the bass heard. Same with Josh. Flea on more than one occasion has preached about bands playing live before and I imagine he was pissed at having to fake it, as it were.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1391468644' post='2357616']
Flea on more than one occasion has preached about bands playing live before and I imagine he was pissed at having to fake it, as it were.
[/quote]

So pissed that he took the gig and the cash, right?

I would imagine it is more than likely that [i]all[/i] instruments involved in that show were pre-recorded and Flea was poking fun at this by unplugging his transmitter alltogether. The bassist with Bruno Mars had a wireless transmitted plugged in and he clearly wasn't creating the bass heard. Same with Josh. Flea on more than one occasion has preached about bands playing live before and I imagine he was pissed at having to fake it, as it were.
[/quote]

however he was still miming, to make a point that hes angry surely doing that just made him look stupid, i dnt like oasis but this was a good way of hating miming notice that theres something odd about liam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUTL2jSRIgE

andy

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ARZGwfhC_U

If we look here, it seems that his wireless transmitters are on the bass straps constantly, and are simply unplugged from the bass between shows. I do very much doubt that they forgot to include his wireless transmitter before going on stage. And I also think that he could have asked for it to be taken off simply to make a point. Very well said on the Bruno Mars bassist - no bassist ever danced that well and played that well at the same time :D

I know this isn't TrumpetChat, but nobody has mentioned that the trumpets and brass were nowhere near a microphone. Maybe they had those little clip on microphones, but I never spotted them.

Josh also didn't have any of his massive pedalboards, despite us clearly being able to hear effects during his solo.

The whole thing reeks of a pre-recorded performance, and like you said - Flea more than likely took the wireless transmitter off as a bit of a "screw you!".

Thing is, stuff like the superbowl, or even TOTP come to that, is more a piece of theatre than a display of musical prowess. I doubt the crowd cared very much and it certainly makes the whole show a lot less complicated than if they had to worry about engineering live sound.

Anyway, I saw the chilies at Earls Court many years ago and their sound was pretty crappy to be honest. Possibly the venue, but still crappy for whatever reason.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391483197' post='2357698']
Flea has just tweeted this, which I think explains his position;

"No trickery. No choice, but no trickery"

Gentlemen, I think it's case closed.
[/quote]

Nonsense, in every sense. They were all pretending to play their instruments. Thats "trickery" however you want to frame it. As for "no choice", I'm pretty sure the multi-million selling multi-millionaire RHCP weren't being held at gunpoint to go along with proceedings. If they weren't happy to fake it they could have said no. They said yes knowing full well that they would be miming. Pretending that they had no choice in the matter is just insulting.

So much for rock n roll.

PS I actually don't have a problem with the miming part. That was inevitable. Its the sad pretence that they were in someway coerced and not fully willing participants in the charade that I find insulting to their fans.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1391513616' post='2357886']
Nonsense, in every sense. They were all pretending to play their instruments. Thats "trickery" however you want to frame it. As for "no choice", I'm pretty sure the multi-million selling multi-millionaire RHCP weren't being held at gunpoint to go along with proceedings. If they weren't happy to fake it they could have said no. They said yes knowing full well that they would be miming. Pretending that they had no choice in the matter is just insulting.

So much for rock n roll.

PS I actually don't have a problem with the miming part. That was inevitable. Its the sad pretence that they were in someway coerced and not fully willing participants in the charade that I find insulting to their fans.
[/quote]

If you knew about Flea at all, you'd know that he absolutely abhorrs those who go on stage and mime and do their best to trick their fans into believing that what their hearing is the same as what they are seeing. Flea obviously didn't want anybody to think that he was genuinely playing right then and there, so he removed his wireless transmitter, and thus removed any doubt that what people were hearing was not actually what they were seeing.

Your final statement is that if they had mimed convincingly, it would have been less insulting to the viewers? Please.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391528742' post='2358178']
If you knew about Flea at all, you'd know that he absolutely abhorrs those who go on stage and mime and do their best to trick their fans into believing that what their hearing is the same as what they are seeing. Flea obviously didn't want anybody to think that he was genuinely playing right then and there, so he removed his wireless transmitter, and thus removed any doubt that what people were hearing was not actually what they were seeing. [/quote]

Yeah, abhors them so much that he happily took money to do it himself. Only a tiny percentage of the viewing population will have been aware or even cared that he wasn't plugged in, to everyone else he was on stage, with his bass, playing along to the music. If he wanted to "remove all doubt" then why was he waggling his fingers about as if playing the damn thing?

[quote]Your final statement is that if they had mimed convincingly, it would have been less insulting to the viewers? Please.
[/quote]

"no choice" says Flea. He had every choice, he could have said no. Coming out with that obvious tripe is the insulting part.

In response to the first few posts about money being a factor I was surprised to find out today that according to Time magazine the NFL has never paid any acts who perform during the halftime show- they've all performed purely for 'exposure' alone... presumably RHCP's management wanted them to do it to boost sales of the last album..?

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1391532059' post='2358243']
In response to the first few posts about money being a factor I was surprised to find out today that according to Time magazine the NFL has never paid any acts who perform during the halftime show- they've all performed purely for 'exposure' alone... presumably RHCP's management wanted them to do it to boost sales of the last album..?
[/quote]

I'd say this is probably true. They don't have many gigs in 2014, which leads me to think they are writing another album, so it will help when that's released too.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1391531364' post='2358225']
"no choice" says Flea. He had every choice, he could have said no. Coming out with that obvious tripe is the insulting part.
[/quote]

How do you know he had no choice? Do we know what's in his contract? Do we know what his management say? Do we even know what the rest of the band say? No. He may well have had no choice.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391528742' post='2358178']
If you knew about Flea at all, you'd know that he absolutely abhorrs those who go on stage and mime and do their best to trick their fans into believing that what their hearing is the same as what they are seeing. Flea obviously didn't want anybody to think that he was genuinely playing right then and there, so he removed his wireless transmitter, and thus removed any doubt that what people were hearing was not actually what they were seeing.

[/quote]
:rolleyes:
Sweet Jaysus! Did he tell you that over tea and crumpets? If that's the case he must really hate the guys in Bruno Mars band who had the audacity to plug in while miming. God only knows how he feels about his bandmate, who clearly has issues. Honestly, a pink strat is the worst choice for the non performing performer. Tonight I shall pray for Flea. May his weary soul be at one with his millions.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1391533379' post='2358264']
:rolleyes:
Sweet Jaysus! Did he tell you that over tea and crumpets? If that's the case he must really hate the guys in Bruno Mars band who had the audacity to plug in while miming. God only knows how he feels about his bandmate, who clearly has issues. Honestly, a pink strat is the worst choice for the non performing performer. Tonight I shall pray for Flea. May his weary soul be at one with his millions.
[/quote]

Hmm, maybe I worded it wrong. He doesn't hate people for miming, he just doesn't like when people charge their fans a lot of money for them to pay lip service, and he's also a big advocate of supporting live music.

Also - I didn't see a single mic anywhere near Bruno Mars's brass section.