Why become a member? ×

Best/Favourite bass and why?

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1391371536' post='2356437']
My favourite five string so far is my dingwall.
It just sounds so nice and is so easy to play. IMHO
For four string I would agree with the P bass nominations too. When all else fails........have a P
[/quote]

Yeah, when all else fails and after resorting to a strat with 4 strings only if that fails have a P XD

It took me a lot of years to realise that generally a P bass doesn't really do its thing in a shop. They hang there looking a bit old hat. You plug one in and it sounds ok but not exciting and the tone knob doesn't seem to do much.
So you drift over to the fancier instruments that look so attractive. Loads of knobs to play with, interesting pup combinations and lovely grainy wood. Plug in and sonically get your socks blown off. Ooh that tone, that power and it looks so cool.

Get to the gig down the slug and lettuce and two numbers in thinking, "hell what's happened to my tone and volume" Much frantic knob twiddling :blush: on the bass and amp. Anticipating a point in the set where I can swap over to the P bass brought along "just in case".

Plug in the P and all is right with my world again :D

Of my two basses, my favorite bass is my Fender Am. Std. Fretless Jazz. Great to play without frets to get in the way. Smooth action, decent Rosewood on the board, good balance not heavy on the neck, and I like the Alder on the body. Intonation is right on, with no dead spots on the board.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1391372905' post='2356462']
True
My bass doc built 70s p replica is just amazing. I don't tinker with it or change it, or want to

As discussed with mr grangur I would like to find a perfect jazz bass but I haven't found it yet. I suspect I will have to make it
[/quote]

To tell the truth a imagine Guy Pratt's burgundy mist Betsy as "The perfect jazz" dam, that bass.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1391371536' post='2356437']
My favourite five string so far is my dingwall.
It just sounds so nice and is so easy to play. IMHO
[/quote]

+1 with Dingwalls.

I'm lucky enough to work in a guitar shop and have access to all the trad stuff, Warwicks, MMs et al. Since I got my Super J5 and Combustion, I struggle to play anything else without missing the Dingwall's comfort and tone. My SR1205 hasn't been touched in 5 months!

[quote name='angercat' timestamp='1391377778' post='2356564']

+1 with Dingwalls.

I'm lucky enough to work in a guitar shop and have access to all the trad stuff, Warwicks, MMs et al. Since I got my Super J5 and Combustion, I struggle to play anything else without missing the Dingwall's comfort and tone. My SR1205 hasn't been touched in 5 months!
[/quote]

Lucky man! Not a fan of a Ibanez basses, they make great guitars but their basses in my opinion suck.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1391366189' post='2356298']
Two votes for Dolphin, woop!

On the subject of SSII and Dolphin, I have both and they are quite different, quite different indeed.
[/quote]

Seems that you Pro 1 is significantly different from mine. Mine is the 'old school' model with two Bart Humbuckers... Woods could the identical though :). Never had my filthy hands on other (peoples) Dolphins, but mine is quite radically different from just about any other bass I've (not hat many... But a few under the belt nevertheless). In one word my Pro 1 is just plain rigid - practically no vibrations transplants into the body, and the general feel of the thing was a bit 'detached' at first. However, after the initial shock (it also has considerable weight, compared to it's size) there is definately a connection between me and the instrument. It has an incredible attack and tone, and the sustain is actually almost too much (sound fades very very progressively but slowly)... All in all I am a very happy bunny, but I would think the Dolphin is very much a bass you either love to bits, or hate like the plague...

Tried many basses, but the good old P seema to do the right trick for me.
For me, P-Bass of any simple variant (51 P-Bass, [b]P-Bass[/b], Telecaster Bass I & [b]Telecaster Bass[/b] [b]II[/b], TNB-110 SP, [b]PP-Bass[/b], Boxer Bass, Big Block P-Bass) is the right thing... Sound is straightforward, no-nonsense instrument with perfect comfort of using :)
More sophisticated ones (Precision Hollowbody A∕E, Elite P-Bass etc) are also cool.

Edited by Immo

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391386262' post='2356680']
My favorite bass is probably the bass I haven't bought/built yet.
[/quote]
[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1391386811' post='2356684']
Best answer ever! XD
[/quote]
And worst at the same time... Oh, the G.A.S. ;)

Well JBF, I'm desperately trying to avoid getting this from Peterbuilt in Holland. Anybody liking custom Fender colours, made for them, really should avoid!
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/1465186_508469629185288_871940574_n_zpse9e9cfd1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/1465186_508469629185288_871940574_n_zpse9e9cfd1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1391436847' post='2357098']
Well JBF, I'm desperately trying to avoid getting this from Peterbuilt in Holland. Anybody liking custom Fender colours, made for them, really should avoid![/quote]

Desperately is right. That thing is lovely! I could swear I was just talking to you Karl XD

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1391437441' post='2357106']
Desperately is right. That thing is lovely! I could swear I was just talking to you Karl XD
[/quote]

In a parallel universe known as Gumtree! Don't look at Peterbuilt, there are things like Burgundy Mist P's, Sea Foam Jazzes and Jaguars, Pagoda green Cabronita's. :gas: :gas: :gas:
Oh, the above jazz is Candy Apple Orange apparently!

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1391437692' post='2357115']

In a parallel universe known as Gumtree! Don't look at Peterbuilt, there are things like Burgundy Mist P's, Sea Foam Jazzes and Jaguars, Pagoda green Cabronita's. :gas: :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

*off to Peterbuilt website. If I see I burgundy Jazz I may just die of GAS, but a YY standard Fodera must come first :D

Edited by JazzBassfreak