Why become a member? ×

Best/Favourite bass and why?

JazzBassfreak

Hmmm... hard one. I've got a number of basses and they're all different:

PJ, 4 string fretted
P 4 string fretted
Jazz 5 fretless etc...

I love them all for different reasons. Between them they give a variety of tones, growl etc., In many ways I think I'm still looking for "my sound", but it's certainly possible I've got[i] "that bass"[/i] right under my nose with the wrong strings, but it's all too easy to blame the bass and go GASsing through the For Sale section and miss out on something you already have.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1391359473' post='2356159']
Hmmm... hard one. I've got a number of basses and they're all different:

PJ, 4 string fretted
P 4 string fretted
Jazz 5 fretless etc...

I love them all for different reasons. Between them they give a variety of tones, growl etc., In many ways I think I'm still looking for "my sound", but it's certainly possible I've got[i] "that bass"[/i] right under my nose with the wrong strings, but it's all too easy to blame the bass and go GASsing through the For Sale section and miss out on something you already have.
[/quote]

True that. I'm the same I'm still looking for that "special sound" and yet I already own my dream bass, you come down with GAS for something and when you get it usually it's not all you expected...

I adore my BC Rich Warlock NT. It's beautiful and plays like a dream. It sounds good, too, yet I still have an irresistible urge to tinker with it and want to change the pickups for DiMarzio DP127BK's and the pre-amp for a John East U Retro Deluxe, the nut for a stainless steel one and the jack plate and truss rod cover for fancy cast metal ones.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1391360910' post='2356180']
I adore my BC Rich Warlock NT. It's beautiful and plays like a dream. It sounds good, too, yet I still have an irresistible urge to tinker with it and want to change the pickups for DiMarzio DP127BK's and the pre-amp for a John East U Retro Deluxe, the nut for a stainless steel one and the jack plate and truss rod cover for fancy cast metal ones.
[/quote]

I can understand that, BC Rich basses are highly underrated. Not a fan of the shapes though I'm more into simplistic body styles.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but the best/favourite bass I've ever owned is my MIJ Fender Precision that I bought secondhand last year.

I've had basses that were far more expensive, exclusive, exotic etc. but the bottom line is I just spend more time actually PLAYING this bass & less time messing about tying to get a usable sound out of it it than any other I've owned.

A litle background:I have owned basses by Musicman, Fender, Status, Warwick, Roscoe, Wood and Tronics and many cheap imitation brands, all of which I have sold for one reason or another. I purely play bass as a hobby for home use and recording and I am not in a band.

My favourite bass is one I currently own; My Warwick Dolphin Pro I. This bass has a most wonderful combination of wood and looks just superb. The neck is slim and feels fantastic. The electronics and pickup combinations and options give a vast array of sounds, all pickup settings and EQ settings appear to be usable, which I have never come across in a bass before. Balances perfectly. It' s a fantastic bass.

On a broader scale, Warwick instrument just fit me. The growl is unmatched and the different woods for the various models all add something different to the sound. I did enjoy my Roscoe bass and the build quality was stunning, but it just didn't have the tonal character that Warwick instruments have.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1391361926' post='2356198']
+1 on the Warwick. Their growl just hits the soul every time.
[/quote]

Yup me too, I've got a bubinga pro Series Corvette and it's killer, quality, amazing tone and playability all rolled into German made Win. Still can't say it gives the sound I'm after though.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1391361559' post='2356189']

I can understand that, BC Rich basses are highly underrated. Not a fan of the shapes though I'm more into simplistic body styles.
[/quote]
I got really lucky. I had wanted one for over 20 years, yet I hadn't even ever seen one in the flesh, only in magazines and videos, let alone played one. One day one came up on Ebay for a good price and I went for it, bloomin' glad I did too.

At the moment my favourite bass is my Alembic Series II 5 string. For me it is just about the most perfect bass I could want. The build quality is outstanding, the filter based tone controls give me access to an enormous tonal pallate.
It's an incredibly clean sounding bass, no noise, can be very crisp, mellow, meaty, delicate, powerful and has an evenly balanced response across the fretboard.
The neck is a dream to play and not too wide and has a satin finish which makes navigation really easy.

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

My Warwick Dolphin pro 1 (1991, broadneck 5 string)... It took a little getting used to, but now I just won't do without it... Comparing apples and oranges a bit... But I do miss my Elrick NJS 5 string. Completely different in most ways to the Dolphin, but the Elrick did have alot of appeal to me !.

My newly acquired Human Base fretless 5 is not completely without sex-appeal either though :P

Have to agree on the 'Warwick statements' though... Fantastic basses, and very very tonally/ergonomically different model to model. Never got on with the Thumb, although I really really wanted to like it !. Considering getting a Streamer Stage II, but looking at the combination of woods, I would it is very close to my Dolphin Pro 1. So no hurry there :)

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1391362985' post='2356222']
At the moment my favourite bass is my Alembic Series II 5 string. For me it is just about the most perfect bass I could want. The build quality is outstanding, the filter based tone controls give me access to an enormous tonal pallate.
It's an incredibly clean sounding bass, no noise, can be very crisp, mellow, meaty, delicate, powerful and has an evenly balanced response across the fretboard.
The neck is a dream to play and not too wide and has a satin finish which makes navigation really easy.
Jazzyvee
[/quote]

I'm extremely jealous. I'm going to be selling my Alembic 1994 Epic with Zebrawood top or it'll be up for trade methinks, I got it and tbh it wasn't what I was expecting, beautiful bass but just doesn't suit my playing style compared to other Alembics I've played. Still, love the Alembics though. Probably my best sounding bass I own at the mo actually!

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1391364114' post='2356248']
My Warwick Dolphin pro 1 (1991, broadneck 5 string)... It took a little getting used to, but now I just won't do without it... Comparing apples and oranges a bit... But I do miss my Elrick NJS 5 string. Completely different in most ways to the Dolphin, but the Elrick did have alot of appeal to me !.

My newly acquired Human Base fretless 5 is not completely without sex-appeal either though :P

Have to agree on the 'Warwick statements' though... Fantastic basses, and very very tonally/ergonomically different model to model. Never got on with the Thumb, although I really really wanted to like it !. Considering getting a Streamer Stage II, but looking at the combination of woods, I would it is very close to my Dolphin Pro 1. So no hurry there :)
[/quote]

Two votes for Dolphin, woop!

On the subject of SSII and Dolphin, I have both and they are quite different, quite different indeed.

Despite the occasional dalliance with other basses, I keep on coming back to my Musicman Stringray. It has what is for me a perfectly proportioned neck, and I find the whole bass comfortable to use either sitting or standing for a considerable length of time. Sound wise, the EQ means I can get it to fit well in most of the rock related contexts I play in. I have tried Fenders for extended periods, and while I like the Jazz neck I found the one on Precisions feels like a tree trunk. As for the tone control(s) on a Fender Jazz or Precision, I found myself wondering what they're for as anything other than fully clockwise sounds awful!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1391369603' post='2356391']
No...count me in there too
[/quote]
Me 3.

I was in a shop and the guy pushed a Fender P into my hands. I'd never played a P before. I was new to bass and had only ever played a jazz. I couldn't understand how anyone could be so passionate about a bass with such limited variation in sound.

I have a P bass. But I couldn't be happy if it was my only bass.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1391370246' post='2356407']

Me 3.

I was in a shop and the guy pushed a Fender P into my hands. I'd never played a P before. I was new to bass and had only ever played a jazz. I couldn't understand how anyone could be so passionate about a bass with such limited variation in sound.

[/quote]

As you can tell by my name, I'm Jazz's all the way. I understand P's being a phenomenal breakthrough and used & loved widely but I really agree, how can someone love something so limited in sound and so ugly /:

My custom Alpher bass, although that's perhaps being a little biased as I chose everything on it myself. :) It has a custom string-spacing of 15.3mm at the bridge, which is extremely comfortable and any other 5 string I play now just feels huge. 4 strings are still comfortable, which is good as the only other bass I want is a Precision (you just can't get that sound anywhere else...)

If custom wasn't an option though, I'd have my hands on the new Dingwall 'Nolly' signature. A preamp made by Darkglass? That thing is a monster!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1391370246' post='2356407']

Me 3.

[/quote]

Pretty much my feelings on p's too. Played a cheap copy side by side with a 'top end' Fender once, very little in it, but then again it is not that surprising, given their practically identical construction. If anything, I preferred the cheapy, and that was the one I bought!