Why become a member? ×

pre or post di

Bloc Riff Nut

When I was using an amp with on-board compression and drive I always went post - I figured that since all the other band members had "their" sound going FOH, why couldn`t I?

Nowadays using my amp as essentially a power amp, with all eq set flat, and getting the eq/drive/compression from a Zoom B3, I DI from that - again, this means FOH gets my sound, and not just a generic Precision sound. In one of my bands that would be fine, but in the other the driven/compressed bass is essential to the overall sound of the band, and having a clean bass would decimate our sound. Rather like Slash playing his guitar and finding it completely clean through the PA. No!

Depends, if I'm mixing or I know the engineer, then I'll go pre and let the PA do it's job. If I'm not mixing, or I don't know the engineer or I don't like the look of the PA, then post.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1390771699' post='2349390']
Depends, if I'm mixing or I know the engineer, then I'll go pre and let the PA do it's job. If I'm not mixing, or I don't know the engineer or I don't like the look of the PA, then post.
[/quote]

This. I usually play clean, with a few eq corrections in order to fatten up the sound of my jazz bass.

I play through big p/a all the time and always go pre, I use the eq on my amp to mix my cab, the engineers then get a raw untouched signal to mix at the desk. Even when using DI and a mic I still run the same, remember the eq for foh will more often than not be different to what you need for your cab.

With our PA I go post and it works well. I'll always ask an engineer what they want and pre is popular. If you have an effects loop like me though they will not be in the pre signal so in that case I will run them in between my bass and the amp.

I use both. Pre to the FOH and Post to my monitor mix. Most amps don't have two DI outs, so how do I do it? I use an Orchid DI box which is for my Pre DI. The instrument signal is then fed into my amp and the Post DI goes to the monitor desk for my in ear monitors or foldback. This then gives the FOH engineer the signal he wants and I can hear myself on stage the way that I want it.

I will sometimes come across an engineer that will use the Post DI, but very rarely. Main reason being is that the EQ frequencies on the amp don't work that well through the PA and the acoustics of the venue fights against the mix. My amp sounds great and I want to hear it that way through my IEM's when I perform and this is a simple method to make sure that both parties are happy.

Effects can be a bit tricky depending if you are using and effects loop or going direct in front of the amp. If you are using a compressor or any other type of effect to enhance your back line tone the FOH engineer will not necessarily want that in the DI signal. They will sort that out themselves on the desk.