Why become a member? ×

String Gauges for Jazz and Precision ?

njr911

Do you guys use different gauges for Jazz and Precision basses ?

I have a Jazz with 45-105 flats on and just about to put a light set of flats on my Precision.

For some reason I have a bad feeling.

The Precision feels like a much more solid bass that would benefit from chunkier strings? Or would the lighter gauge strings make the precision feel less workman like ?

Or am I talking utter gash ;)

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1390297230' post='2343600']
Do you guys use different gauges for Jazz and Precision basses ?

I have a Jazz with 45-105 flats on and just about to put a light set of flats on my Precision.

For some reason I have a bad feeling.

The Precision feels like a much more solid bass that would benefit from chunkier strings? Or would the lighter gauge strings make the precision feel less workman like ?

Or am I talking utter gash ;)
[/quote]
Which make of strings?

Gauge means nothing on its own - a 100 Chrome is nothing like a 100 Thomastik, whatever bass it is on.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1390297694' post='2343605']
Fender Flats 45-105 on the Jazz

Lakland flats (light) to go on the P (not yet on, going to get it set up at the same time)
[/quote]
I don't see why the Lakland flats won't be great on the Precision but they will likely feel softer than the Fenders. Whether you like that is a matter of personal choice.

There are plenty of people playing TI Jazz Flats on a P bass and they are much softer in feel than either the Fenders or the Laklands (which are made by GHS by the way).

String gauge can be deceptive, I recorded some tracks on the house-bass - which I had bought that day - that had very light gauge roundwounds on. I was a bit sceptical but it turned out to be a really great recorded sound, just bass into valve-amp with all eq at midday.

I'm using Lakland flats (steel, regular guage) my 5 string Pbass.

They sound perfect on this bass, and IMO they sound better than the DR Lo-Riders that were on it before.

I prefer the tone from heavier guage strings.

Edited by chris_b

I've stuck to 45-105 almost religiously, and Rotosound Swing Bass at that. I mean, there was that time when I ended up with a hybrid 45-100 set by mistake, though I can't say I noticed a great deal of difference. The only exception is the 8-string, where it all starts to get a bit strange...but then that's also my only short-scale (30") bass, so I guess it's a good point to throw convention straight out the window.

Any advice for swapping between basses / string gauges. I run a P with flats and J with rounds (predictable I know) and feel comfy on either one, but always struggle swapping from one to the other between days - never mind between songs!
They are similar gauges and both basses are set up to be as close to each other as possible, but when I swap I'm pretty sh*t until I get used to the change.
Any advice from nutters that happily swap between different basses during a gig appreciated!

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1390340482' post='2344337']
Any advice for swapping between basses / string gauges. I run a P with flats and J with rounds (predictable I know) and feel comfy on either one, but always struggle swapping from one to the other between days - never mind between songs!
They are similar gauges and both basses are set up to be as close to each other as possible, but when I swap I'm pretty sh*t until I get used to the change.
Any advice from nutters that happily swap between different basses during a gig appreciated!
[/quote]
I swap a lot (including upright and bass guitar of two different sizes). I've never found a problem just a few seconds for the relevant muscle memory to set in.

40-100 gauge - pros and cons please? I know the old adage about tone being better with thicker strings, but what advantages could I fain from using a lighter string?

And would I get more buzz from light strings? How about slapping with light strings? Would it be better or worse? The reason I ask rather than just go out and try is that strings ain't cheap so its a pricey experiment!

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1390833030' post='2350004']

I was wondering why strings direct haven't had them for a while. That would be a bummer
[/quote]

They still have this gauge available as a 5 set. Wonder why they changed the 4 string gauge though.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1390853941' post='2350493']
Skej, did you have heavier strings and then change down? What differences have you noticed with lighter strings?
[/quote]
A [b][i]lower gauge in the [i][b]s[/b][/i]ame make of strings[/i][/b] will have lower tension - so the string is likely to feel softer, floppier, under the fingers or pick. You may need to loosen the truss rod to even up the tension on the neck and avoid buzzing on the frets.

If you are changing make or style of string then the lower gauge lower tension rule no longer necessarily applies.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1390854673' post='2350516']
Ah right. Apologies for my complete cluelessness. I'm looking for a thinner string than my current 0.45 gauge Fender roundwounds, but with greater tension. Me no likey da buzzy.
[/quote]
If you've got buzzing then that is most likely caused by some combination of neck relief and bridge height.

If you go to lighter gauge strings its more likely that you will increase the buzz rather than reduce it.