Why become a member? ×

Combos, cabs and speaker sizes - oh my!

Evil Undead

You can take a line out from the FX send & into the computer & plug headphones into that. Set the gain to where it needs to be (to control the signal going to the PC) & set the master to 0. I do this for recording (often turning the master up to hear the bass when I don't use headphones).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1391983555' post='2363356']
You can take a line out from the FX send & into the computer & plug headphones into that. Set the gain to where it needs to be (to control the signal going to the PC) & set the master to 0. I do this for recording (often turning the master up to hear the bass when I don't use headphones).
[/quote]
Bingo. Another way to have whatever combo you want!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't let the lack of aux in stop you buying your dream amp. That's daft. How about, buy the amp, the spend £30ish on a small mixer:
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-xenyx-502-premium-mixer--31558

Your iPod plugs in, so does your DI out of the amp. Headphones too. Easy. Job done.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1393663000' post='2383029']
Don't let the lack of aux in stop you buying your dream amp. That's daft. How about, buy the amp, the spend £30ish on a small mixer:

Your iPod plugs in, so does your DI out of the amp. Headphones too. Easy. Job done.
[/quote]

If you buy the right mixer you won't need to di, bass goes straight into mine.

Further to what Horizontalste said, looking at the numbered Page 8 of the Behringer "Quick Start Guide" for the 502 mixer, it shows what they call a typical "hook-up". Once magnified, you can see that they've included a DI100 D.I box between the bass guitar and the Line-In socket. Is that necessary or can "Evil Undead" just go direct to the line-in socket?

Alternatively, I've long been thinking about the Behringer "Guitar Link" UCG-102. This looks even simpler but still offers a USB connection from a PC, mp3 player or tablet. as well as guitar-in and headphone socket. Does the mixer offer any small level of amplification compared with the UCG-102?

Question for Evil Undead. Do you keep your music tracks on a PC / laptop or just the iPad?

Opinions anyone?

Balcro

I use an Alesis Multimix 4 & it will take a guitar or bass straight into the channel if you select the guitar/bass switch so no need for a di. It also seconds as a Usb interface too although I haven't used this feature so can't comment really.

Sorry for the slight thread deviations op

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1393692116' post='2383437']
I use an Alesis Multimix 4 & it will take a guitar or bass straight into the channel if you select the guitar/bass switch so no need for a di. It also seconds as a Usb interface too although I haven't used this feature so can't comment really.

Sorry for the slight thread deviations op
[/quote]

I used a iMultimix 8 for a short while, but I got better results going from the amp direct to the mac than I did through the mixer/interface using the USB.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1393663000' post='2383029']

[/quote]

Might be a stupid question, but how would I make the speakers quiet when I DI to a mixer?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1393692966' post='2383451']

I used a iMultimix 8 for a short while, but I got better results going from the amp direct to the mac than I did through the mixer/interface using the USB.
[/quote]

I haven't used mine with the laptop (i use a lexicon interface) I only use it as a stand alone unit. Bass in, phone (spotify) in, headphones out. It's a nice compact solution for practice, I even take it to work. I suppose it's primary function is mixing and the interface is just an add on.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1390128923' post='2341653']
As you guys all know, I've been mooching around in search for a small, light and decent sounding combo that could cope with pub gigs on it's own, no PA support, for about a million years now, or what seems like it. And I figured there must be others in the same position.
[/quote]

How loud is the band that you're competing against? I used a GK 200MB (predecessor to the MB150) happily with a club band for years, but it wouldn't have kept up with a full-on rock band. And how desperately do you want a combo? Not excluding separates would give you hugely more options, eg. Genz Benz Focus or GK Neo cabs which are cheap and light combined with one of the many micro heads around these days.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1393700096' post='2383557']
Might be a stupid question, but how would I make the speakers quiet when I DI to a mixer?
[/quote]
The master volume on the amp is completely independant of the DI output. Just turn it down to 0.

Edited by ratman

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1393752542' post='2383907']
The master volume on the amp is completely independant of the DI output. Just turn it down to 0.
[/quote]

That's the beauty about most if not all the amps mentioned in this thread: you can use them without a speaker (if in head form) and DI and speaker outputs are independent: you can use one on your desktop as a DI to feed your mixer.

I bought a small Behringer mixer many years ago, a Eurorack UB1002. To be honest, I could have been happy with even a smaller one and this one cost me new less than £50. I put the computer output through it, mp3 players, and can put microphones, a guitar V-Amp, anything. The output of the mixer is fed to a pair of desk monitors and it also has headphones output... One of the most useful bits of gear I ever bought.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1390128923' post='2341653']
As you guys all know, I've been mooching around in search for a small, light and decent sounding combo that could cope with pub gigs on it's own, no PA support, for about a million years now, or what seems like it. And I figured there must be others in the same position.

It would be great if this thread could be a resource for folks like me so please could people post their experiences with various small combos, and help me and others make a choice in this minefield.

I thought I'd start with a list that I've made of speaker sizes - more air moved generally means louder, right?

First list is most common combo sizes, all in square inches.

28.27 (1x6)
50.27 (1x8)
56.55 (2x6)
78.54 (1x10)
100.53 (2x8)
113.10 (1x12)
117.81 (6x5)
157.10 (2x10)
176.71 (1x15)
226.19 (2x12)

I've also added a second list to include common combinations for combo plus extension cabs, even though I'd rather not use one.

191.64 (1x10+1x12)
270.20 (2x10+1x12)
289.81 (1x12+1x15)
314.20 (4x10)
333.84 (2x10+1x15)
353.42 (2x15)
452.38 (4x12)

So please feel free to chime in and let me know of a small and light combo that you think I could gig with in a pub, without additional cabs or PA support. And any other info you think might be useful!

I'm wanting to stick with combos because I'd like to use it for home as well, so it ideally needs headphone in and aux in for mp3 (unfortunately meaning that most ashdown and markbass stuff is instantly out for me!)

Thanks
[/quote]

I think you may be over thinking this? Just experiment a little and you'll find gear that will produce your sound how you want it.