Why become a member? ×

God I Love Punk

[quote name='Musky' post='388828' date='Jan 22 2009, 05:55 PM']The Goldsmiths was closed as a decent pub years ago - tarted up and reopened as a place more befitting the increasing gentrification of the area.

I used to love it, especially the free gigs they put on there. Saw a bit of trouble in there occasionally, but never had any grief myself.[/quote]

I like the Goldsmiths but the New Cross Inn is a more 'Punk' pub.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='388863' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:32 PM']I like the Goldsmiths but the New Cross Inn is a more 'Punk' pub.[/quote]

Isn't the New Cross Inn the same place that used to be the Dew Drop? If so, I agree... judging by the amount of crusties (the proper, filthy, dog-on-a-string-called-Rizla ones) who used to hang around outside bumming fags and waiting to go in at the end of the night so they could drink the contents of the drip trays! ;)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='388863' date='Jan 22 2009, 06:32 PM']I like the Goldsmiths but the New Cross Inn is a more 'Punk' pub.[/quote]

It is now, probably because they discouraged the old customers at Goldsmiths. I can't even bring myself to go into Goldsmiths anymore - it may have been a bit of a tip before but at least it had real character.

Talking of that neck of the woods, have you ever played the Birds Nest in Deptford Wayne?

I absolutely love punk. First band I ever went to see was New Model Army at the old Marquee in Wardour Street. I was like an outcast at school because I was the only one into it (although I was more in Oi! than punk at the time). Still love it to this day. I play guitar for this lot:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/retaliato"]http://www.myspace.com/retaliato[/url]

Favourite bands since I was kid, still love them now are Cocksparrer, SHAM69, Cockney Rejects, Blitz, The Business, UK Subs, Angelic Upstarts, Section 5, Stiff Little Fingers, GBH, Ant-Nowhere League, Last Resort, 4 Skins, The Exploited etc.

As for Rancid, I prefer Lars Fredericksen's solo stuff. Much better I thought.

Some class stuff here...

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vyS4Wduyux8"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vyS4Wduyux8[/url]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUyx7aEPQs&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUyx7aEPQs&...feature=related[/url]

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='389114' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:03 PM']Got to love the DK's[/quote]
O h yeah. Turned down the chance to support them once (in 1981 or so) in favour of Iggy (was offered one or the other). Unfortunately Iggy fell ill at short notice and cancelled the gig.

the other supports were the minutemen and ukdecay .. i saw them at the leadmill, sheffield.. it was so loud i went out and vomited..
hold on a miute you jmust have been in quite a well known band to be offered that one.. hmm. i wonder who? ;-)

[quote name='qed' post='389482' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:14 PM']the other supports were the minutemen and ukdecay .. i saw them at the leadmill, sheffield.. it was so loud i went out and vomited..
hold on a miute you jmust have been in quite a well known band to be offered that one.. hmm. i wonder who? ;-)[/quote]
No. It was in New Zealand. We had some sort of acquaintance with the promotor. In fact we were totally the wrong sort of band to support either headliner - the DK's crowd would have torn us to shreds! The same promoter later offered us a support slot for U" which we turned down.

I found myself listening to the Dead Kennedys almost daily last month, first time I've really given them much attention since my early teens. Jello's later stuff's a different matter (never stopped listening to him really) but still, it was nice to reminisce and play along to Moon Over Marin (which I don't even remember from before).

Black Flag, The Misfits, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Minutemen also got a good listen to as well as the Ramones (though I never stopped listening to them). I've made a vow to myself, to never again neglect the great Amerikan punk bands from back in the days when it was actually good! IMHO of course ;)

Come to think of it Supersuckers and Nashville Pussy who I listen to are a bit punk at times (in the good old way). Fugazi, Dwarves, Mondo Generator and Zeke have got it going on even more so. I guess there are still good elements of American punk, it's just a little harder to find.

I know these threads tend to deteriorate into a 'what it all really meant/no, really I was there in 1976' thing, but...

It is a bit ironic that 'punk' had a strong anti-virtuosity feel, as a stand against the ludicrous cockmongering of prog rock. And now here we are looking at a 'punk' band's bass player widdling away...

Some punk bands, especially the crap early eighties ones like GBH and the Exploited, just revelled in being yobs and had the musical imagination of a cockroach. Then they got stuck together with metal in the US during the eighties, bunged in with a bit of skate, and now here are all these 'punks' living in a rather sad cliche.

yeah, but punk these days is completely different, more of a style of music than an attitude.

its also a different thing entirely, punk back in the 70s and 80s was an attitude more than a style of music, you had the clash playing reggae, you had ian dury playing slightly jazzy sounding songs, then you had the sex pistols and the ramones playing fast, power chord based songs. they all had that rebellious attitude, but also played very different music. the stranglers had a keyboard player, can you imagine the sex pistols with a keyboard player?

punk these days is more about the music. i see punk as music with
-usually fast tempo
-mostly power chords
-playing quavers
-3 or 4 chords in each section (chorus, verse etc.)

theyre not all the characteristics, but for instance if ian dury and the blockheads, or even the clash, came out these days most of their songs wouldnt be classed as punk. however, things like ramones and sex pistols, probably would, because they have the characteristics of punk music.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='391013' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:31 PM']It is a bit ironic that 'punk' had a strong anti-virtuosity feel, as a stand against the ludicrous cockmongering of prog rock. And now here we are looking at a 'punk' band's bass player widdling away...[/quote]

have you ever heard the 'punk' song hit me with your rythm stick?

Each to their own.

Never got the punk thing, most of it was a bit thrashy and very simple as illustrated by a lot of these clips on this thread.

As for the guy shouting out to the crowd that Matt Freeman is the best bassist in the world, he needs to get his head out of his arse.

Sloppy solo, good for punk I guess but when put in perspective does not even measure on the scale against the likes of Geddy Lee etc.

[quote name='steantval' post='391033' date='Jan 25 2009, 04:04 PM']Each to their own.

Never got the punk thing, most of it was a bit thrashy and very simple as illustrated by a lot of these clips on this thread.

As for the guy shouting out to the crowd that Matt Freeman is the best bassist in the world, he needs to get his head out of his arse.

Sloppy solo, good for punk I guess but when put in perspective does not even measure on the scale against the likes of Geddy Lee etc.[/quote]

Ha ha Rush are the most pretentious band in the world with there heads firmly in there arses.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='391035' date='Jan 25 2009, 04:08 PM']Ha ha Rush are the most pretentious band in the world with there heads firmly in there arses.[/quote]

If highly skilled musicians = pretentious, I'm happy with that.

The majority of us musicians always stride to improve our playing skills to a higher level, then pretentious we all shall be.

I would opt for the category of being a pretentious musician rather than a crap musician.

Edited by steantval

[quote name='steantval' post='391261' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:30 PM']I would opt for the category of being a pretentious musician rather than a crap musician.[/quote]
With respect, having read the previous post, I would suggest you may have succeeded masterfully ;)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='steantval' post='391261' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:30 PM']If highly skilled musicians = pretentious, I'm happy with that.

The majority of us musicians always stride to improve our playing skills to a higher level, then pretentious we all shall be.

I would opt for the category of being a pretentious musician rather than a crap musician.[/quote]

And I would opt for a fun musician over a bunch of dull musicians.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='391027' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:50 PM']have you ever heard the 'punk' song hit me with your rythm stick?[/quote]

Yes, yes I have. I've been covering it for the past ten years.

Even then, the Blockheads were rarely, if ever, described as 'punk', and Norman's line is not a pointless, widdling solo...

Edited by Brother Jones

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='391267' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:34 PM']And I would opt for a fun musician over a bunch of dull musicians.[/quote]

And me. Much as I can appriciate the beauty of mastery of the works of JS Bach, most days I would rather listen to the Vandals.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='391799' date='Jan 26 2009, 02:29 PM']Yes, yes I have. I've been covering it for the past ten years.

Even then, the Blockheads were rarely, if ever, described as 'punk', and Norman's line is not a pointless, widdling solo...[/quote]

i wouldnt class them as punk either , and i wasn't even born at the time, so youre probably right that they arent/werent classed as punk. people just mentioned norman watt-roy in the best punk bassist thread, so i figured most people did class the blockheads as punk. and i wasnt saying it is a pointless widdling solo (arent all solos to some extent pointless? but then, you could class the whole idea of music as pointless... different discussion entirely), but from what you said i infered you thought punk bass players werent supposed to play fast or well, that punk bass players don't "widdle", and in which case norman watt-roy isnt a punk bass player, but i've already given my reasons for thinking he was classed as a punk bass player and can accept (and i agree) that most people probably didn't think of him as a punk bass player - he was just mentioned in the punk bass players thread.

Edited by LWTAIT