Why become a member? ×

Defintely weird skeletal fretless!

hoiho

That's an interesting looking thing. If it was a 99p start I would certainly be bidding on it. I wonder if it was done as someone's Design Engineering project at a university. The adjustable scale length sounds to me like an interesting idea. There may not be enough adjustment to really change the sound all that much, but it would mean that an owner could make the scale length match their other basses. Which might or might not be useful.

In any case, I think it's a very interesting thing.

The back of the neck looks as if it might be a little painful. And an adjustable scale length wouldn't work terribly well with the dot markers, although it's an intriguing idea.

Maybe there's scope for a kit which would fit on a cricket bat type bass...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1389709414' post='2337084']And an adjustable scale length wouldn't work terribly well with the dot markers,
[/quote]

I don't think the dot markers equate to anything useful, anyway - they seem to be at either end, and the middle, of the neck, not the scale. Thigs like that lead me to belive that the "Design Engineering project" is likely to be right - I suspect it may have been made by a non-musician. (Although Leo Fender wasn't, either, so that's not necessarily a Bad Thing.)

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1389713348' post='2337139']
I think the dot markers are bolts holding the fingerboard on.
[/quote]
Well spotted, that man. I was, er, waiting for someone to notice that.

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1389713348' post='2337139']
Is it wrong to say that I quite like it?
[/quote]

It's an interesting idea but just how playable would a neck which consists of a square steel tube with a slot up it and attached wooden fingerboard be? Might have been better to have a complete neck with a slot cut up the back that would straddle the steel tube (a bit like the fillet strips that Kramer put into their T-section aluminium necks).

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389725545' post='2337276']
Very odd - looks right up BigRedX's street. Bet he's already got one!

Jon.
[/quote]

Looks fantastic! (although the way the body connects to the neck is a bit strange)

However it's only got 4 strings so not for me.