Why become a member? ×

Amp Send and Return ever been tempted

deepbass5

I'm sure this has been aired a few times, But just wondered how many actually use an Amps effects loop.

Can you see a day when Manufacturers stop providing them, Do those of you with multi effects units or Line 6 guys use them. I think the last time I did was when i had a Yamaha FX500. 15 years ago.

Anyone put their pedal board via the send / return ? are they fine at line level, what would the sound to noise ratio be like - good/bad.

I'm not looking for advise just thought i would open the debate and see who does what

I've taken to using a curly lead (damned Basschat and GAS) and therefore, of necessity, started using my single Zoom MS-60B pedal through the effects loop of my GB Streamliner so it doesn't get flung around when I move. I suppose I could always velcro it to a breezeblock instead. But, for me and the way I use effects, i can see it becoming a regular habit irrespective of curly leads or not.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1389002584' post='2328515']
IKAY - internal jumpers set to series - is that an easy mod
[/quote]
Hi Paul, yes just involves moving a couple of jumpers on the circuit board. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a pdf extract from the service manual which shows how to do it. Best, Ian

I run my Bass Pod XT Pro through the effects loop of the Tec Soundsystems Black Cat amp. When I wired up the rack I tried both this and putting the Bass Pod first and wiring it into the input of the amp. However since the Black Cat has a valve pre-amp using the effects loops gives me a bit more flexibility with how hard I drive the valves.

I think the last time I tried was with a Korg AX3000B and it wasn't a success - distorted rather badly at line level. Now I use a Line6 G50 wireless which has a stompbox receiver, it makes more sense to go straight from the receiver to the effects (Zoom B3 or MS-60B) anyway.

don't know whether all amps are the same but the effects send and return on my old Carlsboro bass beasty by passes the preamp, which is handy in this case cause the preamp is knackered, so in an emergency I can use my effects pedal (zoom 506II) as the preamp, plug into the effects return, and still use the combo

mep
interesting, I would tend to keep the comp between bass and amp, and its this splitting things up that puts me off,

My board - EBS dual comp - Boss OC2 - Boss Wah AW3 - Boss BF3 Flange -Boss CEB3 chorus - Aphex Bass ixciter

I just dont like using effect pedals anyway due to sound degredation and hisss. EBS on all the time, the Aphex in/out depending on the room and type of song, OC2 just Lilly Allen now, AW3 just Kylie "out of my head", BF3 just "going gets tough" the CEB3 maybe for some finger kunk numbers.