Why become a member? ×

NYE venue gone very quiet.

mrtcat

Hmm bit concerned. We are booked to play a really good live music pub tonight but we cannot get hold of them on any number to confirm set up times etc. Last contact was about 3 weeks back and all was fine but since then they've not replied to messages, voicemails, fb messages (even though they're showing as having been read), phonecalls and when we phone the landline it just rings and rings. We're advertised on their fb page and we know they're open and haven't changed hands. Problem us they're over an hour away so I'm having to hike over this afternoon. Pretty sure it's just typical pub organisation / communication issue but it's pretty disconcerting. They really wanted us after we played there in may and offered really good money. Fingers crossed. Any advice?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1388526238' post='2323179']
I got two dep offers for tonight.
I chose the 'lucrative' one, only to be told yesterday that their bassist [b]can[/b] now do the gig.

They're a good bunch of guys though and they're paying me £85 (a half share) for not playing tonight. :)
[/quote]

Wish someone would pay me not to play, maybe if I went busking :D .

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1388528990' post='2323198']
Paying you not to play ...

Are you Alec John Such?
[/quote]

Not being up on this modern beatnick music I had to look this up.

Mr Such appears to have been paid for missing notes during live performances.

He's obviously a rank amateur at this sort of musicofinancial transaction as I'm missing out entire sets. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. It turned out good in the end. Landlord says his phone had broken after being dropped down the loo and that there was a fault on the landline. I think if I ran a pub I'd be keen to at least have one way of letting people contact me.
Was a good gig although by the end of set two everyone was so drunk we could have played pretty much anything and they'd not have cared.
Happy new year everyone!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1388526675' post='2323182']

Wish someone would pay me not to play, :D .
[/quote]

I played a wedding at one of the inns of court once for a very senior high court judge. As usual it ran late and we came on about an hour after we were supposed to start.

First half went well with lots of dancing. The judge came over and explained they had booked a DJ and it was one of his nephews that was doing his first wedding. He asked us if we'd be prepared not to go back on and, if so, he'd pay us the full fee (about £2K) plus a bonus in cash and all we could drink!

He even arranged to open a back door so we could pack up quickly and told us to take away a crate or two of beer for the journey home :)

Was payed not to play once.......
We played a gig one Saturday night after sacking our singer/lead guitarist after the friday night gig!

We got a replacement for the gig though...unfortunately he wouldn't turn up either his guitar or his voice(I kept turning up his mic and he just kept getting quieter and quieter!)....
We muddled through two sets leaving our "best" for last .....

Landlord asked us not to go on!

Somehow I don't think that is quite as good as Molans' experience though! ;)