Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Guitar Hero Rock band ect

ianrunci

Over the past few years guitar bands have slowly made their way to the top after years of computer generated music. I fear we are in for another computer generated reign soon. I have noticed that a lot of kids now are playing virtual guitars and virtual drums on the x-boxes now whereas before they might of picked up a real guitar.

I bought my son and daughter Squire strats and marshall combos hoping I could get them interested in playing. My daughter is now having lessons at school although I doubt she will get very far with it as she has Cerebal Palsy in both arms and legs, She's only 10 but bless her at least she is having a go. My sons guitar and amp are covered in dust as he is to enthralled with the virtual instruments on his 360. I think these games might lead to a decline in the amount of new players a few years from now.

What worries me is that he really thinks he is playing music as opposed to using it as a controller to play a game. :)

Respect to your daughter mate, you never know how far she may go. Mind over matter and all, theres so many kids out there with different set backs who have far exceeded expectations.

I reckon (and hope) this whole Guitar Hero thing will blow over soon. Got a few mates that have been in to it, I've had a go a couple of times but every time it's just made me feel guilty that I hadn't picked up the real thing more etc etc.

If your in to South Park mate there's an episode called Guitar Queero, quite a good one lol.

I think the games are great entertainment, but in no way a substitute for good old hard skin producing learning.

It's been a common school of thought for years: The world is, and has been (since "back in my day") dumbing down. Convenience breeds laziness and stupidity.

I love the game myself, I wish I could afford a copy :) But i agree that it's probably making some kids not bother learning the real thing. Then again, surely it must be encouraging others to pick up the real thing and become [i]real[/i] rock stars?

EDIT:And regards to your daughter, my younger brother has the same condition and is definitely in my Top 5 bassists, he's surprised everyone.

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='229745' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:41 PM']I think the games are great entertainment, but in no way a substitute for good old hard skin producing learning.

It's been a common school of thought for years: The world is, and has been (since "back in my day") dumbing down. Convenience breeds laziness and stupidity.

I love the game myself, I wish I could afford a copy :) But i agree that it's probably making some kids not bother learning the real thing. Then again, surely it must be encouraging others to pick up the real thing and become [i]real[/i] rock stars?[/quote]

Thats a possibility I suppose although I think thats where the laziness kicks in heh heh. Easier to play a game

I love my videogames, me, but I suppose because I'm a "proper" musician, I have no interest, beyond a bit of general curiosity, in this type of game, and have never actually played one.

But the point is - they're games. Like any other game genre, they don't aim to replicate the "real" experience, they're just for fun, and I don't think they'll have any negative impact on the amount of people who get into making music.

Similarly, the vast number of driving games available hasn't led to a downturn in road usage, people still join the army & go off & get blown to bits, despite being able to vicariously have that experience in a plethora of war-based games, and the FIFA & PES titles have (regrettably) not led to the demise of professional football. I'm sure the videogame media would love to be able to point at GTA, as a reason for a decrease in violent crime! :huh:

And there's no "Bass Hero", is there? :)

Jon.

guitar hero made me want to join a band again. they're a force for good, and can also help bands actually make some cash from songs that would otherwise just be pinched off bittorrent.

I guess it's like saying that footie games prevent kids from having a kickabout outside.

And even if you're a proper muso, completing DragonForce on expert is one hell of an achievement...

Its not a substitute for the real thing... Its a totally different experience and is certainly challenging, but more in terms of fast thinking. Guitar hero et al seems to be a progression onwards from those Simon memory games. Music came into it and then we got Parappa the Rappa, then Um Jammer Lammy, now Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Mind you, if I had a choice of what I had to entertain myself with on a desert island, I'd pick gaming over bass any day of the week, so I'm probably biased!

[quote name='simondee' post='229828' date='Jun 30 2008, 04:28 PM']guitar hero made me want to join a band again. they're a force for good, and can also help bands actually make some cash from songs that would otherwise just be pinched off bittorrent.

I guess it's like saying that footie games prevent kids from having a kickabout outside.

And even if you're a proper muso, completing DragonForce on expert is one hell of an achievement...[/quote]

Well look at the England team and I think that one answers itself, You don't see many kids kicking a ball about these days, they are all in their bedrooms looking pasty faced heh heh :)

I know what you mean,

Hystaria by muse however its spelt, I played it on rock band and thought, wow thats hard, ill try it on my bass, learnt the intro then thought mehh,, and learnt it on expert on rock band instead, the time I spent on rockband learning it, I could have learnt most of the song on my actual bass.

:)

I've borrowed guitar hero 3 from a friend, and while it's a laugh, i'm ultimately going to get bored of it in a few days and never touch it again. It's not really THAT good. I've never gotten bored of my bass in 3 years, and i hope i won't either! If people want to play their games like that then let them, it just annoys me when people get really good at guitar hero and demand the sort of attention an amazing guitarist would get, posting videos on youtube and the like. I mean for christ's sake, there's 5 buttons! on a real guitar there can be up to 144 on a 24 fret 6 string plus chords etc, there's one word for people like that, SAD! Sorry in advance if that applies to you or anybody you hold dear :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='229916' date='Jun 30 2008, 06:29 PM']I've borrowed guitar hero 3 from a friend, and while it's a laugh, i'm ultimately going to get bored of it in a few days and never touch it again. It's not really THAT good. I've never gotten bored of my bass in 3 years, and i hope i won't either! If people want to play their games like that then let them, it just annoys me when people get really good at guitar hero and demand the sort of attention an amazing guitarist would get, posting videos on youtube and the like. I mean for christ's sake, there's 5 buttons! on a real guitar there can be up to 144 on a 24 fret 6 string plus chords etc, there's one word for people like that, SAD! Sorry in advance if that applies to you or anybody you hold dear :)[/quote]

Plus the one

But............... how many people post vids of themself playing other peoples basslines on youtube.

Yes im guilty of that too, although the only vid on youtube I have is utter sh*te

In my eyes, 'Rock Band' and 'GH' series are games. Nothing more, nothing less. For this reason, there won't be a decline in people learning REAL instruments. In fact, I think some could be influenced by these games to pick up a bass, guitar or drum kit and play.

Really like GH2. Wanted GH3 really badly, and finally got to play it the other night. But it bored me. I thinkt he novelty has worn off. Especially as they're making songs harder, meaning I fail more. As a gamer, I demand instant gratification!

Rock band though, is genius. Not because it makes you feel like you're playing in a real band, but because it is just great fun when theres about 5 or 6 of you.

Things that make you a better bassist, a spectrum with best use of time at the top:

Playing a gig / Practicing with a teacher
having a jam
learning new songs
practicing alone
studying theory
playing Guitar hero
having sex
posing with bass in front of mirror
posing naked in front of mirror
playing Grand Theft Auto
smelling your bass
cooking food
reading a novel
self-touching whilst listening to Weather Report
cutting off your hands
posting online about basses

In terms of computer games or non-bass-related passtimes, I think guitar hero can be a little helpful. But it doesn't have to be - it's a computer game.

[quote name='neepheid' post='230611' date='Jul 1 2008, 03:27 PM']I will say that playing it bass finger style gives you a serious speed advantage over people who twang the thing with their thumb. I had a go at New Year - my mate got me to do all the difficult ones :)[/quote]

Plus the one.

My mates girlfriend (who id love to punch in the face) thinks that because she can play "In Bloom" on easy and get 90% then she said "Id be REALLY good on a real guitar, Daniel, buy me a guitar, a fender one" (actual words she uttered) god I hate that money grabbing W***E. anyways I digress, er... whats my point again?

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='230598' date='Jul 1 2008, 03:03 PM']Things that make you a better bassist, a spectrum with best use of time at the top:

Playing a gig / Practicing with a teacher
having a jam
learning new songs
practicing alone
studying theory
playing Guitar hero
having sex
posing with bass in front of mirror
posing naked in front of mirror
playing Grand Theft Auto
smelling your bass
cooking food
reading a novel
self-touching whilst listening to Weather Report
cutting off your hands
posting online about basses

In terms of computer games or non-bass-related passtimes, I think guitar hero can be a little helpful. But it doesn't have to be - it's a computer game.[/quote]
haha nice list, made me chuckle :)