Why become a member? ×

Cheaper set-up

Sub_Drop

I've been toying with this idea for a while now but it's only after hearing about an acquiantances gig experience that I've seriously thought about it.

I perform in several function bands and dep for several more, because of this sometimes the gigs I play can be hotels, function events, christmas parties, birthday parties, general pub gigs or whatever an agent has booked us for.

This leaves me playing to a wide range of clientele and sometimes gear can be touched, damaged or played by drunken audience members (who think it's fun to invade the stage and pretend to play/sing), so I'm thinking of buying a cheaper set-up and bass to avoid any serious damage to my expensive gear.

Obviously kicking, screaming and punching through audience members would be the best option to stop them touching gear but this can't be done 24/7. Personally I haven't had many problems in this area yet but I did have one guy try and play my bass mid-song.

So what's your opinion?

If you haven't actually had any real problems yet and only one guy being a pest out of all these gigs, don't think I would be too bothered. It would still be quite a large outlay, funding a reliable gig worthy set up.

If you need to justify a GAS attack, then I concur and think it's a damned fine idea :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1387789604' post='2315545']
If you haven't actually had any real problems yet and only one guy being a pest out of all these gigs, don't think I would be too bothered. It would still be quite a large outlay, funding a reliable gig worthy set up.

If you need to justify a GAS attack, then I concur and think it's a damned fine idea :)
[/quote]

Good point.
I haven't really valued how much it would cost to get another set-up, so I think it must be a GAS attack (being christmas and all).

I dont think you need to worry about amps and cabs but a cheaper bass for those sort of enviroments maybe a good idea. Over the years Ive had a few people try and grab my bass or go over and pick it up while we are having a break. Fortunately now my band only plays once a month we just pick and choose what gigs we want and would never play at a place where this could happen.
My Vintage V4 is a cracking bass that only cost me £70 off ebay so would be a good cheap option to take

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1387790798' post='2315560']
I dont think you need to worry about amps and cabs but a cheaper bass for those sort of enviroments maybe a good idea. Over the years Ive had a few people try and grab my bass or go over and pick it up while we are having a break. Fortunately now my band only plays once a month we just pick and choose what gigs we want and would never play at a place where this could happen.
My Vintage V4 is a cracking bass that only cost me £70 off ebay so would be a good cheap option to take
[/quote]

Cheers for the recommendation, I'll have a look. I was thinking about getting a 5 string modified squier Jazz bass (£310), as I just like the feel and size of a 5 more than a 4 string.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1387797958' post='2315690']
Surely this is what insurance is for? If you gig as much as you say, then I'd have a backup bass & amp at least kicking around anyway.
[/quote]

Yeah insurance isn't a problem (should of said that from the off really). I just want something as a back-up (or to use at more personal events) in case of the worst. Seems to be the best way to go. Now to browse the bass and amp/cab for sale threads.

I think It's sad that you find yourself in this situation.
Instead of getting a new set of gear at your expense, why not tackle the root cause?
It's totally unacceptable, in my book, for a punter to come and dick around with your 'tools of the trade'.
It's your job, your livelihood. Would they do this with the tools of a plumber who'd come to fix their boiler?
Have you got any ugly mates who would come and act as 'security'? I know the Doc does this.
It's easy for me to say, at 6'2" with a shaven head and a face only a mother could love, but no one pisses about with my gear.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1387797958' post='2315690']
Surely this is what insurance is for? If you gig as much as you say, then I'd have a backup bass & amp at least kicking around anyway.
[/quote]

yep..agree. I don't get tyhe idea of trading down if you are still doing valued work.

I bought a Squier this summer for precisely this reason and agree with earlier comments that 1) it hadn't really been a problem in 25yrs of gigging and 2) the bass is better to replace than the rig. The problem is you actually run the risk of getting more attached to the cheap bass. The Squier is currently my main go to bass.

[quote name='Sub_Drop' timestamp='1387791093' post='2315565']
....I was thinking about getting a 5 string modified squier Jazz bass (£310)....
[/quote]

I played this bass in a shop and preferred it to the £600 Fender model.

I'd find a bass that plays well and feels good. You can always upgrade the pickups if you need it to sound better.

All good opinions and I agree if its valued work then I shouldn't downgrade. I haven't had many problems in the past, I was just thinking about the possibilities after my friend told me about his experience.

I might just shave my hair off and get a tattoo on the back of my head (I'll look proper 'hard' then).

I do have urges to buy a new bass anyway so I think i'll test a few models and products out.

Cheers for all the posts and replies.