Why become a member? ×

Want to Start Playing Folk

Mykesbass

Getting a little bored in current band and really fancy a bit of a musical change. I have a ridiculously wide taste in music but do keep finding I'm drawn towards the folk end of the spectrum. Now when I say Folk (as I know it gets as niche as Jazz) I mean Oysterband, McDermott's Two Hours, Pogues etc. Big favourite which will probably get frowned upon by the cognoscente is Springteen's Seeger Sessions.

Question is, has anyone had any experience of the folk sessions type thing - there seem to be lots of them around here but looking at pictures all seem to be very traditional, and all seem strictly acoustic (sorry, Reynaud's disease rules out taking up double bass).

Trying all the usual band websites but not much in the way of folk on them - anyone know of any good folk forums/publications with muso ads?

Thanks,
Mike

I don't know what it's like in Saxon country, but up here the trad session scene is strictly acoustic. I mean militantly so. Big frowns abound through the beards at even the suggestion of electric or unusual instruments (such as bass).

Bass guitars are the devils work, and contrary to the atmosphere of wooly jumpers and ale.

I don't really know, but maybe a Fairport related site would at least be populated by people who understand what you're looking for. For example [url="http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php"]Talkawhile[/url]. Can't see any musicians wanted ads on there, but there might be if you were registered.

My last band was a mix of Folk & Americana (with Blues & Jazz thrown in). We appealed to the Folk audience as it was the singer on either acoustic guitar or banjo, the trad folky lady on either uke, mandolin, bohdran or spoons & me either on acoustic guitar or lekky bass going through my fx.

Here's some stuff from our penultimate gig's rehearsal...

https://soundcloud.com/bassg/sets/bigroom-practice

I've been more Americana for the last 10yrs but there is a huge crossover with the folk scene. A plugged in bass (usually a Fender type) isn't too frowned on. I actively disliked folk as a kid but I've loved the almost punk rock spirit of the jam nights where someone shouts out "Drunken Sailor in Dm" or "Dirty Old Town G" and away we all go. Great fun. Equally those little uke basses (Kala?) or an acoustic bass guitar is an option too. Although bass has always been my main instrument I've played harmonica, mandolin, banjo, guitar, lap steel, dobro and percussion on the folk scene. All good fun.

Forum wise most of the Musicians Wanted sites have as many folk players as rock players. Americana UK might be worth a go too.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1386605932' post='2302067']
I don't know what it's like in Saxon country, but up here the trad session scene is strictly acoustic. I mean militantly so. Big frowns abound through the beards at even the suggestion of electric or unusual instruments (such as bass).

Bass guitars are the devils work, and contrary to the atmosphere of wooly jumpers and ale.
[/quote]

Yes, that's what my big fear of the ones I've seen listed is - plus I gave up drinking earlier this year :lol:

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1386609110' post='2302121']
I've been more Americana for the last 10yrs but there is a huge crossover with the folk scene. A plugged in bass (usually a Fender type) isn't too frowned on. I actively disliked folk as a kid but I've loved the almost punk rock spirit of the jam nights where someone shouts out "Drunken Sailor in Dm" or "Dirty Old Town G" and away we all go. Great fun. Equally those little uke basses (Kala?) or an acoustic bass guitar is an option too. Although bass has always been my main instrument I've played harmonica, mandolin, banjo, guitar, lap steel, dobro and percussion on the folk scene. All good fun.

Forum wise most of the Musicians Wanted sites have as many folk players as rock players. Americana UK might be worth a go too.
[/quote]

Thanks Tim - I'll try that site. Was in Union Music today put an ad on their noticeboard - they're looking forward to your gig!

Funny, it's that punk ethic I'm into as well - one of my really early live experiences at age of 11/12 was playing tea chest bass at a skiffle night!!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1386607034' post='2302088']
My last band was a mix of Folk & Americana (with Blues & Jazz thrown in). We appealed to the Folk audience as it was the singer on either acoustic guitar or banjo, the trad folky lady on either uke, mandolin, bohdran or spoons & me either on acoustic guitar or lekky bass going through my fx.

Here's some stuff from our penultimate gig's rehearsal...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/bassg/sets/bigroom-practice"]https://soundcloud.c...igroom-practice[/url]
[/quote]

Sounds like fun and not a million miles away from what I'm looking for.

Seems to be a geographic thing.

Here in the East Midlands I can (and often do) get to go to an acoustic PnP every week.
Some are in pubs or working men's clubs, some in cellars and even one in a glass blowing workshop!

The initial response to having an electric bass involved can be, and generally is, a little stand offish, but that's really just a barrier to overcome.
Empathetic playing, getting there early and standing your combo out of the way and choosing a traditional looking instrument soon removes those barriers and you soon become an accepted fixture.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1386609544' post='2302134']
Sounds like fun and not a million miles away from what I'm looking for.
[/quote]
It was great fun. Unfortunately the singer took a stroke & now has no interest in music.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1386624185' post='2302426']
Seems to be a geographic thing.

Here in the East Midlands I can (and often do) get to go to an acoustic PnP every week.
Some are in pubs or working men's clubs, some in cellars and even one in a glass blowing workshop!

The initial response to having an electric bass involved can be, and generally is, a little stand offish, but that's really just a barrier to overcome.
Empathetic playing, getting there early and standing your combo out of the way and choosing a traditional looking instrument soon removes those barriers and you soon become an accepted fixture.
[/quote]

I'll have to start checking some out - going without an instrument to start and talking to other players.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1386627756' post='2302487']
It was great fun. Unfortunately the singer took a stroke & now has no interest in music.
[/quote]

Really sorry to hear that - what are you up to know?

Started another band & after a year, I've finally got a full line up. Still debating what we're doing music wise. I advertised to start an Acid Jazz/Breakbeat/Funk band, but I could only get 2 guitarists, a singer & a drummer & none of them know what either of those styles are! :lol:

So it's a rock band with Dubstep/Techno/Funk basslines. I'm trying to get some songwriting going on, but it's sssllllooooooowwwww!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1386630571' post='2302562']
Started another band & after a year, I've finally got a full line up. Still debating what we're doing music wise. I advertised to start an Acid Jazz/Breakbeat/Funk band, but I could only get 2 guitarists, a singer & a drummer & none of them know what either of those styles are! :lol:

So it's a rock band with Dubstep/Techno/Funk basslines. I'm trying to get some songwriting going on, but it's sssllllooooooowwwww!
[/quote]

Not surprised it's slow having to re-educate the rest of the band first! Massive admiration for your determined effort to do something different!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1386631091' post='2302577']
Not surprised it's slow having to re-educate the rest of the band first! Massive admiration for your determined effort to do something different!
[/quote]

I don't know if it's working. Both the guitarists want to play Stereophonics, Franz Ferdinand & so on & think we should make most of the set covers. The drummer is quite a talented musician & does a bit of writing too, so it might be a DnB writing combo, so I feel sorry for the singer! :lol:

For the sort of music that the OP wants to do, I'd be inclined to go to open mic nights rather than folk clubs. I've done both, around the Midlands, and the typical open mic night is rather more relaxed - in the folk clubs, everybody is absolutely silent while you play, won't even come back to their seats if they've gone to the toilet or bar until you've finished a song. I used to find that a little unsettling.

Electric Bass and Folk? I hope you have thick skin!

I joined a folk band a couple of years ago and they were really into the sound the electric bass added to the tracks (gave everything more depth as you might expect). I played subtle and simple (that's all I can do really anyway! :) ) but more than one venue was very aggressive, and detested the electric amp, even though I played no more loudly than the accoustic guitars I was accompanying.

we stuck with it and it worked out OK as people in the cliquey circle eventually, grumpily, accepted it.

Not sure it was worth all the grief in the end though :)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1386789307' post='2304624']

I joined a folk band a couple of years ago and they were really into the sound the electric bass added to the tracks (gave everything more depth as you might expect). I played subtle and simple (that's all I can do really anyway! :) ) but more than one venue was very aggressive, and detested the electric amp, even though I played no more loudly than the accoustic guitars I was accompanying.

we stuck with it and it worked out OK as people in the cliquey circle eventually, grumpily, accepted it.

Not sure it was worth all the grief in the end though :)
[/quote]

Absolute rhino hide!!

Got a very vintage looking fretless P (Shuker) with flats on but I do take your point.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1386789307' post='2304624']
[/quote]

Opposite experience here - Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Mid Wales. Folk bass playing for over 40 years on and off, double bass is appreciated, acoustic bass and electric bass no problems. Those I play with appreciate the issue of transporting db etc.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1386792416' post='2304708']
Opposite experience here - Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Mid Wales. Folk bass playing for over 40 years on and off, double bass is appreciated, acoustic bass and electric bass no problems. Those I play with appreciate the issue of transporting db etc.
[/quote]

Gloucestershire/Wiltshire here... maybe I need to move? It'd only be going home anyway as I was born and raised in Worcestershire :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386792147' post='2304699']
Thankfully there's a rich tradition up here of folk with electric bass. And songs. And dynamics. And middle eights.

We're almost unique. :-)
[/quote]

Stop it - every time I go to your neck of the wood I end up wanting to move up there! Don't think the wife & kids would be too keen :(

Maybe I was lucky :)[size=4] I started at a young age (14 or so) with the carelesness (lack of sensitivity ?) of youth and grew up with people over the years. I would (do) not have much time for the 'purists' / 'fundamentalists' who find electric bass inadmissable. I also get less tolerant of intolerance as I get older....[/size]

Edited by 3below