Why become a member? ×

P Bass- how light is light?

cameltoe

I've probably only played about 30 P basses my entire bass playing life, and owned about 6, but my Road Worn, which I've owned since 2010, is the lightest bass I have ever played. (I've since realised this is an important requirement for future purchases as it really helps the bass feel at home on me)

A quick weigh on the bathroom scales (using the weigh myself with-and-without method) indicates the bass weighs 7lb 10oz. (The bass does have Gotoh Res-o-lites fitted, as it suffered from enormous neck dive)

So, although this seems like a light bass to me, is it a 'light' light bass, so to speak, or a relatively common weight for a light P bass? Anybody got a lighter one?

I think that constitutes light over the history of Precisions, and also even in terms of current ones. My 2011 US Standard is about 8.5lbs and previous US/MIM/MIJs I`ve had have all been around 8.10/9.2lbs. That said I also have both an MIM and MIJ at present which are both lighter than the US and these two both originate from early/mid 90s.

Well , generally speaking it's easier to find light Precisions than light Jazz Basses, by virtue of the fact that the offset body shape of the Jazz is a bit bigger. Typical weights for Precisions vary greatly, obviously, mainly depending on the body woods used . A good weight for an alder bodied Precision is around the 8 1/2 pound mark. A lot of the 1960's- era Fender Precisions weigh in around that mark , as do a fair few of the current American Standards. Swamp Ash bodies can be even lighter than that, whereas Northern Ash and White Ash bodies can be very much heavier . The heaviest Fenders generally tend to be from the mid to late 1970's and even into the early 1980's. Anything under 8 pounds will feel exceptionally light, and anything much over 9 pounds will start to feel fairly heavy to most people .

Yeah, about 9lbs-ish seems to be fairly average for a Fender P, although that doesn't sit in the the middle of the range of weights. I suppose 9lbs would be the mode rather than the average. I'd call any anything less than 8lbs in the [i]very[/i] light category.

I certainly like the way the lightweight feels. It's also very resonant.

I had been hankering for a JV, as I prefer the vintage look/feel and had heard, generally, they came in quite light.

I just missed out on a P Bass body on ebay that was made from Paulowina, apparently very light, which would have been good for a build.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1386439318' post='2300190']
I've just bought a Nate Mendel which weighs in at 7.8 lbs.

The Badass and chunky pickups are possibly going anyhow if I decide to go vintage on it.

The light weight of it lead me to the purchase.

Sub 9lbs is light for any Fender, sub 8lbs is rare.
[/quote]

I tried a Nate Mendel a few weeks ago, which wasn't as light as my RW, but did feel fairly light.

Shame it hadn't been set up properly as I couldn't get past that to decide how much I liked it. I suspect the Badass may have attributed to the bad set up. I'm definitely going to find a few more to try as the narrower neck and nitro are right up my street. I'd probably change out the bridge and p'up too!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1386442002' post='2300244']
Hmmmm, my Steve Harris P weighs in at a lovely 13lbs and that's with an aluminium scratchplate, not the heavier chromed one...
[/quote]

Never played a light Steve Harris. Gutted, want a sparkly bass.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1386452128' post='2300399']
Never played a light Steve Harris. Gutted, want a sparkly bass.
[/quote]

The weight is what's put me off buying one. 13lbs is [i]ludicrous[/i]. But then I have upwards of 5 'slipped' (i.e. prolapsed) discs.....