Why become a member? ×

looking for an new bass

0175westwood29

hi guys

im starting to do some research in to my next bass, and ive decided i wanna go down the route of a old relic styled guitar but something a bit more savage than the fender roadworn series, so it looks proper beat up.

i realise this will bring out the haters, ie you should age it naturally (which i am doing with my mody) but its a look that i think looks awesome and would fit my band aswell!

looking for a 4 string, ideally a fender style bass preferably active humbucker or jazz.

any ideas?

andy

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1386357399' post='2299329']
sandberg
[/quote]
Beat me to it. Sandberg's 'Hardcore Aged' finish is pretty savage, but you pay a premium for it. Point your browser [url="http://www.configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/"]here[/url] and start configurating!

Edited by JapanAxe

Not sure if my posting this is against forum rules... I don't know if it is the kind of thing you are interested in but I will very soon be selling a MIJ early 90s Squier Silver Series Jazz bass that is extremely 'roadworn' with worn patches, chunks and dinks out of the finish. Yet with very little playing wear - good frets. These are good quality basses - Silver Series were excellent, under 9lbs, great necks, great pickups. Wide-ish neck at 40mm. I bought it on here from a Basschatter who had known of the bass since it was new. I was using it as the starting point for a lightweight modded Jazz but it ended up being too heavy once I had done all the mods! I had a J retro in it and it sounded massive. I just need to get the electrics put back. Once I have I will stick it in the classifieds here.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1386377816' post='2299604']
Limelight Slab66 Precision? Not active, but very beat-up looking.

[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/00121limelight66slabp.htm"]http://www.classican...ight66slabp.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Never been a slab-fan myself, but that one kinda does it for me.

If you are looking for new, there are very few choices that look reliced/roadworn AND have classic Fender look. Sandberg is one, Nash is one, You can get Jimmy Coppolo to do that to an Alleva-Coppolo.

Dennis Fano and Fano make reliced everything, however its in basically a Gibson non-reverse style or the hollowbody Fender Coronado style.

Honestly, why not just buy a Squier VM series, take it apart, have the neighborhood kids drag it around for a while then put it back together? Same result.

I am biased though. In my world, if you buy new, BUY NEW! Add your mojo to it.

You haven't mentioned your budget (I don't think), but there are heavily relic'd squiers and MIM Fenders on ebay pretty frequently. And they do seem to be pretty heavily relic'd.
Just had a look and can't find any right now, but I have seen a fair few recently. They seem to go for about £200-£300.