Why become a member? ×

Your number one and why

marcus bell

My Status Streamline. Rich (out to play jazz) convinced me a few years back that this was the only bass I'd ever need. We'll I don't know about that but it's the only bass I've ever owned that becomes part of me when I play it like some old comfy shoes. Sure it looks a bit weird but eh nothing's ever perfect.....one day I'll have to get one of them Status Stealth thingies to appease me on the aesthetic side.

While by no means the best bass I have played, my number one is a jazz bass made by http://mjtagedfinishes.com, which I bought a couple of years ago.

I wanted a jazz to channel my inner JPJ. I also wanted an instrument that would look roadworn in 30 years time because of the toil and sweat I have put into playing it. So I have a fiesta red jazz with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

I toys with the idea of good for an AVRI, but was put off by the idea that it is nitrocellulose lacquer over a poly base coat.

The best thing about the bass is that it has little resale value, so I don't have to worry about damaging it, this adds to the genuine roadworn idea (not that I actively try to damage it).

I also like not having a logo on the headstock, it's just me and my bass.

I would say my BB424x. I have two now, but I prefer to use the one I bought first.

I prefer the pup selector switch to knobs and the pups sound huge and nasty! Comfy neck, handsome, great feel, great build quality and excellent value for money.

Mind you, I may well go back to Blazers!

Truckstop

Without question, my 1981 Aria SB900 fretless.

I foolishly sold this bass in 2002 and immediately regretted it. That just got worse as time rolled on as I never found a fretless which came close. Then last year, by some freakish and unlikely co-incidence, I found my bass again and managed to buy it back. I love this beauty, and I'll never part with it again ...
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/zwywzb.jpg[/IMG]

Got to be my first Wal pro2 E.... I used to walk past Barretts music shop in Manchester in the early 80's, they were distributors of Wal Basses then and had a shop window full of them......used to drool at them every Saturday morning

Got my first around 1990 and loved it, as did every engineer that recorded us in the studio...always regret selling that beauty

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1386001775' post='2294495']
What mod's have you done to your bass? I own one of these and as much as I like it, it's always interesting to know what others have done to improve it...
[/quote] Hi Daz sorry for the late reply I only just checked back on the thread My Mods are neck inserts Ki0gon wiring CTS pots/Switchcraft jack and upgraded tone cap I and Picato strings I am really thinking about putting some Tonerider PUPs in it to make it a bit more aggresive and I also rubbed down the glossy finish on the back of the neck plays and sounds fantastic

Sei J5 in white with tort plate.
RW board and JE pre.running Barts.

It can do a very vintage vibe and made to MP's normal excellent standards.
It beats out my blonde maple quilted J5 which does the whole Jazz thing.

Two really great basses IMO, but the white one gets the most attention...
over the most overtly flambouyant blonde, which is a real looker in itself.

I have been thinking about commissioning another J5 in a sunburst/tort/RW
config but that would most likely mean one of these would have to go...
and I have no stomach for that....at all.

Bought a Second-Hand Yamaha TRB6P from the Bass Centre some 16/17 years ago and have been playing it ever since. Usually played via the Magnetic Pickups. Rarely use the Piezo one in the bridge. At least I have the versatility if I need it! One of the tone controls seems to be getting a bit stiff, so may have to attack it with some contact cleaner spray and see if that improves things.

Currently in need of some new strings (suggestions welcome!).

Having got used to a 6 string, I think I would find it a bit of a culture shock to go back to 4 strings in the shape of my early 70's Jazz Bass or Yamaha BB400S Lined Fretless. Occasionally getting a bad shoulder (old age "creeping" on maybe) the lighter 4 strings may have to be an option occasionally...

Edited by Mxyzptlk

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1388429896' post='2321925']
I would say my BB424x.
[/quote]

BB1025X for me! Had plenty of basses but my BB415 was always in the top spot, until I got this. Better pickups, stiffer neck, better bridge and a cool scratch plate.

These are the only 5'ers I've ever felt comfortable playing due to their narrower spacing at the nut.