Why become a member? ×

Something. The Beatles

Colonel36

There is actually 2 Paul McCartneys :) someone I know was recording in a studio where he was also recording. McCartney was stood talking to someone when McCartney arrived - he uses a body double as security. The double tends to arrive publicly and the real one arrives privately. I believe he's done this since Lennon was murdered.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385307507' post='2286647']
....I'm a huge fan of Macca's bass playing , and this line is pretty epic in an[i] ad hoc, [/i]off- the- cuff kind of a way....
[/quote]

I've always been a fan of his playing on all instruments. I would guess his melodic lines come from being a piano player.

But I think they did too many takes to warrent the description [i]ad hoc[/i].

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1385317920' post='2286836']
I've always been a fan of his playing on all instruments. I would guess his melodic lines come from being a piano player.

But I think they did too many takes to warrent the description [i]ad hoc[/i].
[/quote]

I take your point, but it still sounds very spontaneous and under-rehearsed to me, albeit in a good way, , regardless of which take this is on the recording.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385318344' post='2286845']
I take your point, but it still sounds very spontaneous and under-rehearsed to me, albeit in a good way, , regardless of which take this is on the recording.
[/quote]

That's what I get from it, too. It's a great line, but it doesn't sound 'played in' yet.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1385318717' post='2286852']
That's what I get from it, too. It's a great line, but it doesn't sound 'played in' yet.
[/quote]

That's what I like - it still has some spontaneity about it. :)
Too many bands rehearse the crap out of their songs - in some cases, by the time they play it out it sounds flat and dead.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1385317977' post='2286839']
I've often wondered how Lennon would have stood the test of time. We'll never know, of course, but I suspect it wouldn't have gone well and his 'legend' has probably benefited from his sad and cruel early demise.
[/quote]
That's a bit unfair.......... Obviously his dying has immortalised him but he would still be a legend. Of that there is no doubt.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1385426508' post='2288276']
....his dying has immortalised him but he would still be a legend....
[/quote]

The previous 20 years ensured that Lennon was a legend.

Dying early just ensured he couldn't screw up all the good work.

Yeah, fair point, and a better way of phrasing what I really meant. I suspect he would have screwed up his well-deserved 'legend' status, especially if he had stayed with Yoko.

Artists like Bono and Morrissey have not done themselves any favours, beyond their hardcore fan base of course, and I could easily imagine Lennon having gone the same way - probably even more so.

But it's all moot now.