Why become a member? ×

why are Rickenbacker basses such a touchy subject?

-Virtue-

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1384799558' post='2280887']
Exactly this. Demand for Rickenbackers still significantly exceeds supply, in spite of JH's efforts to make it otherwise in the UK. This means they can work to a business model of selling relatively small volume at a significant premium. They simply have no need to enter the volume, lower margain, market.
[/quote]

Depends on his ambition, of course. They have no need to do any of those things, provided the status quo is sustainable and to the want of the business. With a brand like the one they have, they'd almost struggle to fail.

If they are using CNC, then they're considering both costs and throughput. Sensible enough to do.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1384784556' post='2280639']
Stick £500K into the Basschat piggy bank as a downpayment and we'll test that out for you. :D
[/quote]

As always I would advise getting a solicitor before actually doing any of what I suggest. :) And I did say "might" as I don't know the legal aspects either way.

Thanks for the more humorous/less arsey response to my post than the BigRedX gave. All I was really saying was that a Cease and Desist can be written by anyone - it's just a scare tactic. It's whether they can follow up legally that is the true test. I don't know the answer to that as I'm no legal bod - that's what I pay solicitors for. Although it seems Ou7shined has just ignored them and been OK. Anyway I'm just some bloke on a forum, no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist.

Edited by Mr Arkadin

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1384813329' post='2281152']
All I was really saying was that a Cease and Desist can be written by anyone - it's just a scare tactic. It's whether they can follow up legally that is the true test. I don't know the answer to that as I'm no legal bod - that's what I pay solicitors for. Although it seems Ou7shined has just ignored them and been OK.
[/quote]

All true. If I was an American, running an American business in America, or at least having a large part of my structure in America (e.g. eBay, Amazon, etc.) then those threats would have to be taken very seriously.

As a Brit, running a British business in Britain which in no way depends on the States, I would have no interest in his threats.

[[i]I laugh in the face of danger.[/i]

[i]Ha ha ha.[/i]

[i]Hear me laugh[/i].]

The reasoning is simple. The 'R' company, though famous, well-respected and highly litigious, is also very small and frankly not awfully rich.

The chance that they will instruct transatlantic lawyers to apply to the UK courts for some sort of order against a British company is really miniscule. A man could go bankrupt seriously quickly with that as his business model. Talk is cheap, action is appallingly expensive.

As to an order from a US court, the technical term for that in Britain is "toilet paper".

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1384874964' post='2281727']
:D :D :D
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384869687' post='2281630']
All true. If I was an American, running an American business in America, or at least having a large part of my structure in America (e.g. eBay, Amazon, etc.) then those threats would have to be taken very seriously.

As a Brit, running a British business in Britain which in no way depends on the States, I would have no interest in his threats.

[[i]I laugh in the face of danger.[/i]

[i]Ha ha ha.[/i]

[i]Hear me laugh[/i].]

The reasoning is simple. The 'R' company, though famous, well-respected and highly litigious, is also very small and frankly not awfully rich.

The chance that they will instruct transatlantic lawyers to apply to the UK courts for some sort of order against a British company is really miniscule. A man could go bankrupt seriously quickly with that as his business model. Talk is cheap, action is appallingly expensive.

As to an order from a US court, the technical term for that in Britain is "toilet paper".
[/quote]

Until a British court extradites you to the US. :blink:

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1384784732' post='2280643']
Our band started using a JD inspired logo/sticker. We received a cease and desist. After thinking about it for a while we respectfully decided to tell them to them poke it. The sticker campaign continues and we've not heard anything back since. Of course maybe they found out that we are personally responsible for a large amount of sales. :)
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1384978350' post='2283115']
The snack shop up the road from me got a cease order from the makers of the Ally McBeal show as they called their shop McBeals.

The shop, all 10 sq feet of it, was a serious threat to the tv program. <_<
[/quote]

No, it was because they were selling food, where the star and the rest of the female cast of the Ally McBeal show were ordered to cease & desist from eating.

Unless Ally Mcbeal has a famous shop called Mcbeals, I'd have ignored it completely.
McDonalds tried to trademark the name Ronald Mcdonald & failed when a real Ronald Mcdonald pulled them up.
You can't trademark an everyday name & tell folk that they can't use it!
I'm waiting for Malcolm Mclaren hearing from Mclaren motors. :D