Why become a member? ×

Just Curious!

thebrig

C'mon... we all know there are parts of BC that need attention. The 'wanted' thing narks me a bit too. As does other stuff - I've been whingeing about the notifications problem since the dawn of time. The owners (and Mods) are aware of - and understand - all the gripes, believe me.

The fact is it costs money and takes time to fix, and there's a list that has to be worked through.

And let's be honest - none of these problems is anything other than 'slightly irritating'. It's a great forum.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1384605126' post='2278588']
Once you start providing a paid-for service you are always going to get complaints. Once money started changing hands the "the mods do this for free, be thankful for the forum" attitude (an admirable attitude at that) was always going to be stretched a bit.
[/quote]

But the site is not a paid for service. The fee only applies if you are selling, and I think it's fair to provide a service to the Members who have paid. I think it's forgotten that the Mods are protecting the Members interests as well as the owners in this respect. I suppose the answer could be to introduce a site-wide fee, or maybe to bin the Wanted section altogether. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Mods do this for free' being stretched a bit, but they do, and it becomes tiresome having to mod stuff where Members are chancing their arm, or grinding personal axes.

Edit: I don't mean you personally in my last sentence

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384606115' post='2278605']

Why is it robbed of usefulness? I don't understand that. It's easily searchable.
[/quote]

That's just it. My own experience tells me that the wanted section is best when you don't have to search. I know that most times I've seen a wanted ad I responded to it was because it just happened to be on the screen in front of me. If somebody wants something I'm not using, I'll respond. I'll not necessarily start a for sale thread, especially for smaller items that aren't getting in the way.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384606142' post='2278606']
And let's be honest - none of these problems is anything other than 'slightly irritating'. It's a great forum.
[/quote]

That's as may be, but as I'm paid up I don't like being told "we're doing this for your good" when I don't see it that way, or necessarily agree. Not in my name you don't!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1384608864' post='2278659']
In fairness you are only paying to use the service to advertise goods just like you do on ebay or Gumtree or whatever and there rules have to be obeyed whether we like them or not so why should it be any different for basschat? :)
[/quote]

Rules I don't have a problem with... When they make sense!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384609295' post='2278666']

And... can you use the marketplace?
[/quote]

Not the way I used to... Ironically it's the free section of the marketplace I have an issue with.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384610001' post='2278681']
I wasn't aware that you had to pay a fee to use the Marketplace.

I thought you had to pay a fee if you wanted to be a Seller.

If you're a Buyer or merely a Browser, AFAIK nothing at all has changed.
[/quote]

Wrong. The wanted section has changed. The explanation being the way unscrupulous forumites have been using the section is unfair to those who've paid to sell here. Keep up sir!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384610287' post='2278692']

Do you have to pay to place a wanted ad?
[/quote]

No, but that's not what I have issue with. What's so hard to understand? The way the moderators assume people use the wanted section isn't how I, or it would seem quite a few people, use it.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1384610676' post='2278704']
What's so hard to understand? The way the moderators assume people use the wanted section isn't how I, or it would seem quite a few people, use it.
[/quote]

You realise I could ask you the same question..?

It's not how I use it either. But it's been noted, and it'll be fixed at some point.

If it ruins your BC experience, that's a shame. But I don't think it does.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384611065' post='2278710']

You realise I could ask you the same question..?

It's not how I use it either. But it's been noted, and it'll be fixed at some point.

If it ruins your BC experience, that's a shame. But I don't think it does.
[/quote]

No point arguing about it. It would seem a common sense approach is too labour intensive - perhaps I don't understand the moderators roll fully. Surely if a moderator has teeth there's nothing to fix?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1384611395' post='2278716']

No point arguing about it. It would seem a common sense approach is too labour intensive - perhaps I don't understand the moderators roll fully. Surely if a moderator has teeth there's nothing to fix?
[/quote]

Ah, OK. The quick answer is that it's too time-consuming.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1384612035' post='2278729']
Is there no way to allow users to bump their own ads/restrict thread replies to the thread starter?
[/quote]

Fortunately iCastle has given an answer on this question before. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222433-just-curious/page__view__findpost__p__2278057"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2278057[/url]

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1384607212' post='2278629']
But the site is not a paid for service. [/quote]

[i]The marketplace[/i] is, and thats what is causing the "issues".

[quote]I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Mods do this for free' being stretched a bit, but they do, [/quote]

Because its hard to tell someone "this site is run for free" on one hand and on the other hand say "it costs £20 to use the marketplace". I know how much work the mods do---and I'm thankful for it---but once money has changed hands peoples' attitudes invariably change, especially since the money isn't being handed over for "basschat membership" but for a very specific service provided by the site. Thinking purely from a user point of view, they've paid basschat for a service and whether or not basschat pays its mods / admins isn't really relevant at that point. If you buy a TV from Dixons what salary the sales assistant is on isn't relevant to your expectations of their service.

There are, essentially, now two basschats---the free one which is an awesome forum staffed by awesome volunteers, and the marketplace which is a paid-for service. People's expectations of the two are naturally going to be different. Thats all I'm saying.

[quote]it becomes tiresome having to mod stuff where Members are chancing their arm, or grinding personal axes.[/quote]

Absolutely, but not all comments or issues surrounding the marketplace fall into those categories.

I personally think that it would have been better to charge a "membership fee", like talkbass, rather than providing a specific service in return for a fee. But then again its not my website so its not up to me!

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384603791' post='2278570']
I don't know how the owners and mods feel about doing all this work and still getting criticised.
[/quote]

I can't speak for the rest of the team and my own opinion will just cause further upset amongst certain people.

Let's just say that we do the best we can but we're not miracle workers.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384567626' post='2278363']
It's a real, tangible, important community, not just a place to sell f***ing basses n sh*t.
[/quote]

These are kind words Nige, but please check Marketplace terms and conditions. I think you'll find the sale of 'sh*t' prohibited, along with alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I think he meant "ting", the status of which is unclear :lol:

That said, I think it's all fair feedback. I said much the same to Kiwi - that, once cash changed hands, expectations would change. I think that's one the admins (note: different to mods!) are still contending with - I think it's proven very hard to apply the model they sought within the confines of the forum software.

But we should continue to challenge and feedback to ensure we're going in the right direction... even if it does take a while to get there :)