Why become a member? ×

Wal bass - 4 string - wenge - mid 80's
£2100

greenmanhumming

I'm very reluctantly letting go of the wal bass I've had for 20 years.

It is a mid 80's 4 string, and started off as a fretless, but has been fretted. The fretwire used is slightly narrower than that used by Wal, but I've had no problems with the frets. It has wenge facings. From memory I think it was made in 1986, but i'm not 100% sure.

It has an ebony fretboard, due to being originally fretless.

The electronics were serviced by Pete in 2004, and I really haven't played it much since, I think it's time it went to someone who will play it more.

There's some wear to the finish, but everything works as it should.

It is currently in a generic rectangular plastic case, which I will include.

enquiries to [email protected]

EDIT, i uploaded the pics here, and then discovered that the forum resizes them quite small. You can see the larger versions here: [url="http://greenmanhumming.com/wal/"]http://greenmanhumming.com/wal/[/url]

EDIT 2: I just looked at the other wal bass for sale here, it is the same model, but with walnut facings rather than wenge. Even freakier his is W2762 and mine is W2672, just a few months earlier, and with almost the same serial number, just 2 transposed digits! When I next have the camera out I'll take and post a pic of the inside of the electronics cover plate, i'd forgotten there was info there.

thanks

Mark

Edited by greenmanhumming

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1383781875' post='2269195']
Lovely Wal Mark...whereabouts are you ?
[/quote]
ah yes I should have said.

I'm near Durham, UK. If anyone want to come here to try it that's fine.

I'm not looking to trade, I'm only selling because I need the cash, unfortunately.

Edited by greenmanhumming

Nice!!! Saw a wal fretless neck available at bassdirect too, so if someone wanted a fretted and fretless Wal. This would be an awesome option!!
Just a friendly bump from across the pond. Fortunate for me my Wal GAS will be tamed in the next coming days :D

What a lovely Wal. Not surprised it went so quickly at that price. Interesting that it was originally fretless. Wenge faced fretless Wals are rare 'cause Pete Stevens thought wenge sounded too middy for fretless and tried to discourage customers from going the wenge route. I of course didn't know better in '83 and ordered one anyway :-)

P

[quote name='greenmanhumming' timestamp='1383952649' post='2271329']
So, Philw do you have a fretless wenge Wal? or used to?
[/quote]

Yes I still have it, I still think it's an extraordinary bass and I still play it, or at least look at it, most days. I have bequeathed it to somebody in my will, but to be honest, I'd quite like to be buried with it (although I guess that would be a bit of a waste).

P

• 4 months later...

[quote name='greenmanhumming' timestamp='1383837611' post='2269809']
Provisionally sold, pending payment, and 3 more people in the queue if it falls through. Thanks for all the interest!
[/quote]
Put me in the queue please,i'm in Sunderland