Why become a member? ×

What to do when you got mardy neighbours?

Prime_BASS

I once had complaints about the noise in my old house from the female students that lived next door . They hammered on the door one day and complained that the "noise" of my bass playing was " stopping them from studying ". Students studying ? This country has gone f***ing mad , I thought to myself . To be honest with you , it was a blow to my ego more than anything else , because previously I had imagined them enjoying their daily dose of of scales, modes and blistering '70's funk grooves , and I thought they might be speculating on whether I was someone famous . At first I was tempted to dismiss their complaints and carry on regardless , but after thinking about it , I could see they had as much right as anyone to complain , and I started playing through headphones , and now that is my preferred method at home . There is a certain point in life where you have to become an adult , see past your own selfishness and have some empathy for others .

What I do regret is not taking that oppotunity to mention to the girls next door that I was regulaly being kept awake by the noise of one of them having sex in a very loud and enthusiastic manner . Often it was getting to be after 4.AM when I eventually fell asleep exhausted where I sat with the glass placed against the adjoining wall still propped agaiinst my ear .

Edited by Dingus

It's very important to get on with neighbours and even (perhaps especially) when they are unreasonable.
I would apologise and try to make friends with them.
Practise acoustically or through headphones and if you really feel the need to make unacceptable noise, find another place to live where you wouldn't annoy anyone.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383597591' post='2266468']
What I do regret is not taking that oppotunity to mention to the girls next door that I was often being kept awake by the noise of one of them having sex in a very loud and enthusiastic manner . Often it was getting to be after 4.AM when I eventually fell asleep exhausted where I sat with the glass placed against the adjoining wall still propped agaiinst my ear .
[/quote]

:D :lol: :P .......................... :o

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383597591' post='2266468']
I once had complaints about the noise in my old house from the female students that lived next door . They hammered on the door one day and complained that the "noise" of my bass playing was " stopping them from studying ". Students studying ? This country has gone f***ing mad , I thought to myself . To be honest with you , it was a blow to my ego more than anything else , because previously I had imagined them enjoying their daily dose of of scales, modes and blistering '70's funk grooves , and I thought they might be speculating on whether I was someone famous . At first I was tempted to dismiss their complaints and carry on regardless , but after thinking about it , I could see they had as much right as anyone to complain , and I started playing through headphones , and now that is my preferred method at home . There is a certain point in life where you have to become an adult , see past your own selfishness and have some empathy for others .

What I do regret is not taking that oppotunity to mention to the girls next door that I was regulaly being kept awake by the noise of one of them having sex in a very loud and enthusiastic manner . Often it was getting to be after 4.AM when I eventually fell asleep exhausted where I sat with the glass placed against the adjoining wall still propped agaiinst my ear .
[/quote]

Haha legend. Pmsl

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1383597687' post='2266471']
It's very important to get on with neighbours and even (perhaps especially) when they are unreasonable.
I would apologise and try to make friends with them.
[/quote]
That's a really good point. Many years ago a bloke moved in next door to me and was the noisiest person i'd ever known. It could have all ended up horribly with arguments etc but i really liked him and we got on really well socially. He knew that he was noisy and did quieten down and because i liked him it didn't bother me if he was noisy. He became one of the best neighbours i ever had and we continued our friendship long after we'd both moved far away.

I've no wish to be rude and sympathise with your passion for playing.
I've been on the receiving end of a noisy, inconsiderate neighbour (not that you are I'm sure). I almost had a nervous breakdown, which sounds dramatic but is no laughing matter.
I arrived at work one morning, had no idea where I was, or what I was supposed to be doing and the really scary part was I couldn't remember driving there. All this was the culmulation of months of relentless noise and stress.
I would never want to put anyone through what I went through. What may seem minimal to you, can cause tremendous stress without realising how it affects others.
I'd go along with what most are saying, headphones or very low volume.
:)

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1383598082' post='2266485']

Really? Did you take the time to read up on noise and nuisance at common law? If you had something tells me you'd already know the answer to your problem, and that's to turn the big rig off and shut the f*ck up.
[/quote]

This plus several. End if story.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383595668' post='2266435']
The last part, the snoring. I am being considerate in the fact he(or she) may or may not be able to help the fact they snore, extremely, loudly. We've put up with it form the day we moved in.
I feel I've had the amp on 'loud' only a handful of times and the past 2 times(causing the complaint) for any considerable length of time. They couldn't bare it one weekend.

I'm not after getting into a complicated tit for tat arguement about it, I just want to know what I can do to help the situation.
[/quote]

Then talk to them in a calm and reasonable manner, making it clear that you have no wish to disturb or to be disturbed. I do understand we may not have the full story or the deeper personal issues, but from what you've said I stand by my current opinion.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1383598082' post='2266485']
Really? Did you take the time to read up on noise and nuisance at common law? If you had something tells me you'd already know the answer to your problem, and that's to turn the big rig off and shut the f*ck up.
[/quote]

To be fair , the law is ambiguous in that people are allowed to make a "reasonable" amount of noise at a reasonable time of day . It isn't against the anti-social behaviour laws to play your bass at sensible volume levels for short periods during the day , even if you live in a flat . A great deal is open to interpretation , essentially , and the law sets no specific noise level which is the point at which noise becomes excessive . But all that is largely irrelevant . Does anybody really want to make someone else's life a misery because they want to play through an amp ? Is it really worth causing another person that kind of distress?

I live in the ground floor flat of a victorian terrace. It's a converted house and the landlord owned the place and converted it into flats. There is absolutely no sound-proofing between my flat and the upstairs flat. It's just floorboard, a foot of air and my ceiling. I can hear every footstep like it's someone in my room and each footfall thuds and creaks. I can hear their normal talking quite loudly, as if they're in the next room with the door open. The problem I face is that they work night shifts. So they'll come in between 11.30pm and 2pm and stomp around for two hours keeping me awake.

So anyway, after talking to several people, I contacted the council to see if he'd passed building regulations for sound control and it turns out he hadn't. So they're onto him and (hopefully, really really hopefully) he'll be forced to put some sound-proofing in. So my advice would be to contact your local building regulations officer (their contact details should be on your local council's website) and ask whether your flats have been converted and if so, if they meet the required building regs for sound/noise control.

A bit late to the party with this bit of advice:

One of the first things I do when I move in to a new place, or new neighbours move in next door to me, is introduce myself and tell them that I play guitar, bass and drums!
I point out that I try to keep the noise down as much as possible and, as I have kids, I rarely play after about 7pm. I then tell them that; if the noise is ever too much then just pop round and tell me as I don't want to annoy anyone with something I do for fun.

So far I have lived in flats, terraced houses, semi-detached houses and detached houses and I've never had my neighbours complain or ask me to turn down.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594951' post='2266424']
Give your neighbours a break and practice unamplified or with headphones. It's desperately annoying having noisy neighbours.
[/quote]

Agreed, whatever frustration your feeling about using your kit will pale in comparison to the stress your neigbours are feeling that drives them to complain. Either be quiet or move somewhere when noone can hear you make a noise. People right a quiet life trumps your right to make a noise every time in my book.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1383600810' post='2266535']
A bit late to the party with this bit of advice:

One of the first things I do when I move in to a new place, or new neighbours move in next door to me, is introduce myself and tell them that I play guitar, bass and drums!
I point out that I try to keep the noise down as much as possible and, as I have kids, I rarely play after about 7pm. I then tell them that; if the noise is ever too much then just pop round and tell me as I don't want to annoy anyone with something I do for fun.

So far I have lived in flats, terraced houses, semi-detached houses and detached houses and I've never had my neighbours complain or ask me to turn down.
[/quote]

You are a rare and splendid man.

Listening to someone practice bass guitar through a wall must be similar to listening to a dentists drill for a few hours.
If you were playing piano or a bit of classical guitar , it would be a more harmonious listening experience , but the " thud , thud " of a bass can be pretty mind numbing , ( or even worse , slappity ,slappity ,slap slap ) even if it sounds great to you .
I live in a semi-detached house , my neighbours are in their 80's and hard of hearing , but they can still hear me play an acoustic guitar and sing , so sound does travel a bit more than we think.

headphones as previously mentioned .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383600356' post='2266524']
To be fair , the law is ambiguous in that people are allowed to make a "reasonable" amount of noise at a reasonable time of day . It isn't against the anti-social behaviour laws to play your bass at sensible volume levels for short periods during the day , even if you live in a flat . A great deal is open to interpretation , essentially , and the law sets no specific noise level which is the point at which noise becomes excessive . But all that is largely irrelevant . Does anybody really want to make someone else's life a misery because they want to play through an amp ? Is it really worth causing another person that kind of distress?
[/quote]

I'm sure you're right about the ambiguity of law but my feeling is that resorting to law in these sort of things is tantamount to failure because the damage is already done and no amount of law will ever resolve the situation whatever the eventual judgement.

That the OP is even bothering to look into the legal aspects is a bit worrying TBH.

Fact is, it can't be acceptable to make someone else's life a misery and I'm pleased to see such a clear consensus of opinion on here - and the fact that we're all bass fans makes that consensus even more decisive.

As others have mentioned, bass really travels. My solution when I lived in a Victorian house that had been badly converted into flats, was to get acoustic underlay for my music room. Cost about £120, but with my amp away from the wall I could play at a reasonable volume without disturbing the neighbours. By reasonable volume, I mean that I could play along to a drum machine or work out bass parts from a computer playing through a stereo.

I practice through a mixer and headphones nowadays, lot more sociable, and I get a better tone.

Going back 30 odd years, I had my own house, 2 up 2 down terrace, lived on my own. I had 2 1x18 W bins that I used as my rig together with a 300 watt Peavey head. One day thought it would be a good idea to pipe the hi fi through it. It was that loud that not only did my neighbour come round, but my next door but one as well. Never did it again.

My current neighbour likes music, every bloody weekend, got woke up at 2.00am last Saturday, it was 3.30am when they turned it off and went to bed. It's getting where me and the wife can't enjoy a weekend night in in peace now.

I do get on with the neighbour, but it's getting to the stage where I'm going to have a word. I have a Hartke Kilo and Ashdown 1x15 and 4x10 cabs, so I suppose I could re-run the pipe the hi fi through it gig. But that's not what it's all about is it.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1383605056' post='2266612']
I do get on with the neighbour, but it's getting to the stage where I'm going to have a word. I have a Hartke Kilo and Ashdown 1x15 and 4x10 cabs, so I suppose I could re-run the pipe the hi fi through it gig. [/quote]

Did something similar at college. Guy next door had an alarm clock feature on his stereo, but almost always got up early and forgot to turn it off. The result was Deacon feckin' Blue on repeat all day as I tried to study while he was in lectures. I honestly believe he only owned one CD ...

Anyway, I got my revenge by putting a tape of the Reptile House EP by The Sisters of Mercy on repeat. Through my bass amp, which was against our shared wall. Just as he and his fat arsed girlfriend came back pissed from the student union for their once-a-week five minute sex session.

I live in a flat, and what I tend to do is play along to music when I want to practice. It's not stupidly loud and anyone listening would just assume I have the bass turned up on my Hi Fi. I don't practice for extended periods and I have great taste in music. The only time my neighbour has ever commented about hearing me play an instrument, is when I was woken up at 7pm on a Saturday morning, by her plumber whacking away with a hammer about 6 inches from my head as he tried to fix her plumbing. I took the opportunity to plug my Fender Strat into my amp and give it waldy under cover of the racket he was making next door.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1383604491' post='2266605']

I'm sure you're right about the ambiguity of law but my feeling is that resorting to law in these sort of things is tantamount to failure because the damage is already done and no amount of law will ever resolve the situation whatever the eventual judgement.

That the OP is even bothering to look into the legal aspects is a bit worrying TBH.

Fact is, it can't be acceptable to make someone else's life a misery and I'm pleased to see such a clear consensus of opinion on here - and the fact that we're all bass fans makes that consensus even more decisive.
[/quote]

I wasn't looking to back ny case up on a court of law. I can tell from how much we hear them in general that the sound proofing between us and them is minimal and I know from my previous residence that at the volume I'm playing it at it should be heard by them if at all. I used to work till 12 midnight and then go home and practice at a similar volume to what I am playing now without a peep from the neighbours. And I never heard them walk/talk/snore or have sex either.
So I wanted to look at how much sound was allowed to be heard and then look at building regs.

And comments like your last one make it seem I'm at it everyday with it on at stage volume, which just isn't the case.

So I guess for now I am resigning the amp and cab to the one rehearsal a week and the one or two gigs a month.

I have a headphone amp so I'll use that for now until I can resolve something.

When I owned a flat I found that even my small practice combo, on low volumes, sent bass frequencies through the entire building. Even mounting it on foam on a board on top of more foam and layers of carpet made little difference. I bought my acoustic and a Marshall MS4 microamp to practice with after that. If I use my electric bass it's with headphones thru the MS4or my Zoom multi jobby.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383637034' post='2266742']

So I guess for now I am resigning the amp and cab to the one rehearsal a week and the one or two gigs a month.

I have a headphone amp so I'll use that for now until I can resolve something.
[/quote]

Not trying to be funny or provocative here, but what exactly is there to resolve? I think we can all see that it's too loud, so accept it and move on with a quieter or silent solution. Sorry.