Why become a member? ×

TCE vs ZOOM vs BOSS vs LINE6

sifi2112

Hi all,

Looking for some advise on multi effects, I've recently bought/sold a few normal single stomp boxes but think a 'multi' type might be more what I'm after. I certainly don't want a big type board & will probably on use certain effects at certain moments in songs (don't mind having to change patches etc in between) anyway I narrowed it down to these four for now ....

- TCE Nova System
- Zoom B3
- Boss ME-20B
- Line6 M5

I've had a Line6 pod hd before & was quite impressed ( on guitar) Had a few Boss pedals so know what to expect there (to some degree).
Don't expect to use too many effects at once but I think having a compressor on permanently might be nice & the use of an expression/volume pedal is a definite plus.

I'll be running thru my effects loop & probably get a decent clean/grind from my Tech21 Landmark 300's dual channels, so not as bothered about drive/dist options however if I'm ever without the Tech21 amp they will come in handy as I do want some grind/grit (think GK growl / Darkglass B3k) .. not sure how well any of the above can emulate that but pretty happy with Tech21 amp so far.

I had a small multi Zoom pedal about 7 years ago but to be honest I thought it was really just a toy & certainly not impressed with the sound quality, is the B3 more pro ? It does appear to be the only one out of my selection that could be used direct into pa or pc. Does anyone know if audio from pc goes back via usb & then out of its trs jacks to monitors in studio setup ?

Advise/opinions mucho apprecio ....

cheers

Si

I can`t answer much on the technical side of the B3, only that I`ve got one and it sounds great. It has the same amp on it that I use (Markbass Little Mark 2), so I essentially have my amp set flat and use the amp-modelling on the B3 for my eq, plus a little drive and compression. I`ve used it through other rigs set flat, and direct into PAs with just a monitor for on-stage sound and it`s always performed, giving me "my" sound whatever I`ve plugged into/played through.

The biggest plus for me was our producer came to see us at a gig a few weeks back and after the gig came up to me and said the bass sounded awesome - now this is a guy who has worked with some major artists over the years - and it was the B3 through my Markbass set-up, set flat as mentioned. I really respect his opinions on sound so to get a compliment from him was very pleasing, and to me shows that although not mega-expensive, the B3 delivers to the ears, which is what counts.

Edit - it also has the Tech21 Sansamp type effect on it, as well as GK amp-modelling so you`d be pretty well near the sounds you currently have.

Edited by Lozz196

I can only add to what Lozz has said. I have a B3. I have mainly used it for all my modulation effects - chorus, flange, octave, filter etc - and found it to be great. Although I have used the distortions too, I have some nice real pedals for that which I prefer to keep using. I did, however, knock up some patches recently for some Muse covers and I got the distortion sounds I was looking for using the Big Muff model, which has a handy wet/dry blend on it (a lot of the effects have this useful feature), and it rocked. Historically, digital units aren't known to be great doing distortions but the B3 is definitely no slouch. I guess with new processors and better modelling, the new breed of digital multi effects are way better than they were even 5 years ago. Once you try a couple out you may be pleasantly surprised.
My B3 won't be coming off my board for a long time yet. It saves me lots of space and it sounds fab too. (And on the strength of that I just bought an MS60B too for small gigs where my board is too big. That's great too, where I dont need to be changing patches as much.)
You should try to demo or borrow some of these multi effects if you can. They've come on a long way.

If you want to run drive effects into your amp's front end and modulation effects in the loop, you will need a MFX pedal with a send/return facility in between those effect blocks. That would rule out the TC Nova for a start.

If you just plug into the front end, that ceases to be a problem.

Had the B3 and currently using the line 6 M5 with mission engineering expression. Which is better really depends on the needs. I like the modulations, reverbs, delays, octave and pitchglide(whammy)on the M5 better. (Hate the flanger). Expression control is also better than the B3. For everything else, zoom B3 kills it.

Used the B3 in the past for acoustic gigs wherein I go direct, using good headphones as my monitor. Amp sims are outstanding.

Edited by ordep

Impressed with the B3, tried loads of pedals and this one is great. Had a Boss me 20b, doesn't even touch the B3 in my opinion. I thought the drives did exactly what I need them too and I've owned and tried so many. I'm considering selling my seperate fuzz and over drive to fund a ms60b.

One of these pedals might well be my Christmas present this year.

The B3 was looking like a front runner due to the dual compressor patch and USB programmability but I realised they both offer synth patches with selectable waveforms. Unfortunately, the M5 manuals are a bit light on detail about the synthomatic patch waveforms, apart from saying 8 waveforms are available.

Can anyone with the M5 confirm if the wave forms available in Synthomatic track the pitch of each note like the B3 does? Also, what waveforms are available? Square, triangle and saw in addition to sine?

I've just been playing around with my Zoom B9 using it as an audio interface to record bass with. I'm getting a much better tone out of it than going through my Guitar Rig Session. I can dial in a little tube loveliness on the preamp too :)

So I'm well pleased with that. It's a monster though, it's huge and heavy. I think you've all convinced me to buy myself a Zoom MS-60B for live use. Lozz has sold me on the idea of using one as a preamp/EQ for going into a PA (I know you use a B3 but I'm hoping for a similar effect.)

• 2 weeks later...