Why become a member? ×

My first Refund...

Ruck

Hi people just thought I would ask what is the proper procedure on refunding a pedal I have just sold?

Ive have owned the Dunlop 105q in question from new and never had a single problem with it until I sent it off to the new owner who plays with it for half an hour then it ceases to work. I am pretty sure I packaged it well enough, sealed the pedal in a bag in its box and wrapped it thoroughly in bubble wrap. Insured it for £50 via royal mail.

This is the first time I may have to give refund and receive the pedal back. In which order do I proceed?

Cheers.

Matt.

i would expect that the process would be for the buyer to return it to the seller, the seller confirms it isn't working and refunds the cost, (including the cost of returning it i suppose).
put it down to one of things that happens every now and again.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1383064417' post='2259746']
i would expect that the process would be for the buyer to return it to the seller, the seller confirms it isn't working and refunds the cost, (including the cost of returning it i suppose).
put it down to one of things that happens every now and again.
[/quote]

yes this, make sure you get it back first.

Been stung on eBay twice by not receiving the 'broken' item back, all the eBay was extremely helpful in allowing me to ask for it back.....

I just did this for a set of DB strings on BassChat. I offered to refund before receipt of strings, even though they did not appear to be faulty when I sent them on. I think this community thrives on trust and that is my guiding principle (as long as the other party isn't a random joiner with no posts and no feedback)

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1383064172' post='2259742']
Hi people just thought I would ask what is the proper procedure on refunding a pedal I have just sold?

Ive have owned the Dunlop 105q in question from new and never had a single problem with it until I sent it off to the new owner who plays with it for half an hour then it ceases to work. I am pretty sure I packaged it well enough, sealed the pedal in a bag in its box and wrapped it thoroughly in bubble wrap. Insured it for £50 via royal mail.

This is the first time I may have to give refund and receive the pedal back. In which order do I proceed?

Cheers.

Matt.
[/quote]

If they'll fill out the damage forms, can make the mail claim, I'd do that and send them a refund when you recieve the pedal back, and hopefully the insurance will pay out eventually.

I personally state in all sale that its final and that buyer understand I am not responsible for anything that may happen during shipping. Yes I do understand some people disagree with that.

How am I to know what's going on once the item is received? o

Unless is it a trusted member who I have done deals with before I will never refund anyone.

simple..... ;-)

Edited by pierreganseman

Is this an ebay or BC sale?

If it is ebay, they'll need to send you the pedal first (check it is the same one you posted out) after which you need to refund but be sure to communicate 'via ebay' promptly and with clarity.

If it is on here then 'personally' I'd ask for the pedal back and refund, whilst attempting a claim for damage via PF... BUT if the pedal worked on arrival PF may well wash hands of it.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1383071358' post='2259884']
I personally state in all sale that its final and that buyer understand I am not responsible for anything that may happen during shipping. Yes I do understand some people disagree with that.

How am I to know what's going on once the item is received? o

Unless is it a trusted member who I have done deals with before I will never refund anyone.

simple..... ;-)
[/quote]

you aren't responsible for what happens during shipping but you are responsible for sorting it out.

if you buy something from John Lewis and it arrives broken do you think you would be happy if they said it's your job to sort it out??!

you can state what you like in your advert but that doesn't make it acceptable :blink:

Thank you for the advice everyone. It is a BassChat sale. Hopefully I may have this issue resolved as it appears to be a power related. I personally never used the pedal with a battery and always a 9v supply. The Buyer used it with a battery and it doesn't seem to like it.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1383074460' post='2259950']
you aren't responsible for what happens during shipping but you are responsible for sorting it out.

if you buy something from John Lewis and it arrives broken do you think you would be happy if they said it's your job to sort it out??!

you can state what you like in your advert but that doesn't make it acceptable :blink:
[/quote]

A fair point. You see it stated a lot in Ebay ads - but they're barely enforcable if you have an issue.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1383074460' post='2259950']

[/quote]

I do agree that english is not my main language so maybe something was "lost in translation", I cannot notice anywhere where I mention that I would leave a buyer alone if anything was to happen during shipping. This thread is about refunding, not damaged item.

Yes I do understand that If there if something happens in shipping I am responsible for sorting it out. That is why I ask professional packers to send basses I sell. It is relatively pricey (100 euro on average for JUST packing , custom made for the bass or item i haev in the past sometimes covered this at MY cost to have a happy buyer), but I have never had a single trouble with destroyed basses by shipping companies. I was often "blamed" for taking pictures of dings that buyers would "not seen it if you had not mentioned it"

I personally will not refund, I think the buyer has a millions chances to listen to what the pedal does with youtube.Com or I can provide sound clips of any basses. If the Buyer has a change of heart it is not my problem.

Edited by pierreganseman

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1383139728' post='2260637']
I do agree that english is not my main language so maybe something was "lost in translation", I cannot notice anywhere where I mention that I would leave a buyer alone if anything was to happen during shipping. This thread is about refunding, not damaged item.

Yes I do understand that If there if something happens in shipping I am responsible for sorting it out. That is why I ask professional packers to send basses I sell. It is relatively pricey (100 euro on average for JUST packing , custom made for the bass or item i haev in the past sometimes covered this at MY cost to have a happy buyer), but I have never had a single trouble with destroyed basses by shipping companies. I was often "blamed" for taking pictures of dings that buyers would "not seen it if you had not mentioned it"

I personally will not refund, I think the buyer has a millions chances to listen to what the pedal does with youtube.Com or I can provide sound clips of any basses. If the Buyer has a change of heart it is not my problem.
[/quote]

i think we are talking at crossed purposes :)

i agree, i wouldn't refund someone either just because they decided they didn't like it.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1383139728' post='2260637']
[/quote]

If an item is sold with a fixed price (ie. not an auction) and at distance (eg. over the internet) in the UK then the transaction is governed by the Distance Selling Regulations. The DSR states that if the buyer changes their mind within 7 working days of receiving the item then they are entitled to return it for a full refund, further the seller is responsible for the cost of recovering the item. Like most bits of legislation, however, there are some exceptions:

The DSR do not cover private sales but an item advertised publicly and sold on a public website such as ebay is not considered to be a private sale (and I would assume sales through Bass Chat will be viewed in the same light as they are in a public area of the forum).
The DSR do not cover purchases made by businesses.
The DSR do not allow for custom made items to be returned (although the seller may accept it back if they wish as an act of goodwill).
The seller is not allowed by law to include a disclaimer renouncing the DSR (eg. No returns / No refunds / Sold as seen) and expect the buyer to honour it as this would constitute an unfair contract, the seller is however permitted to advise the buyer at the time of purchase that if they wish to return the item under the DSR then it is at their own cost - if they fail to do this then, as stated above, the seller will not only have to refund the full original cost (including postage) but also have to foot the bill for returning the item.

That just about covers the main the points, if you want further information Google "Distance Selling Regulations 2000"

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1383172478' post='2261288']
If an item is sold with a fixed price (ie. not an auction) and at distance (eg. over the internet) in the UK then the transaction is governed by the Distance Selling Regulations. The DSR states that if the buyer changes their mind within 7 working days of receiving the item then they are entitled to return it for a full refund, further the seller is responsible for the cost of recovering the item. Like most bits of legislation, however, there are some exceptions:

The DSR do not cover private sales but an item advertised publicly and sold on a public website such as ebay is not considered to be a private sale (and I would assume sales through Bass Chat will be viewed in the same light as they are in a public area of the forum).
The DSR do not cover purchases made by businesses.
The DSR do not allow for custom made items to be returned (although the seller may accept it back if they wish as an act of goodwill).
The seller is not allowed by law to include a disclaimer renouncing the DSR (eg. No returns / No refunds / Sold as seen) and expect the buyer to honour it as this would constitute an unfair contract, the seller is however permitted to advise the buyer at the time of purchase that if they wish to return the item under the DSR then it is at their own cost - if they fail to do this then, as stated above, the seller will not only have to refund the full original cost (including postage) but also have to foot the bill for returning the item.

That just about covers the main the points, if you want further information Google "Distance Selling Regulations 2000"
[/quote]

Right ! :-).... I had no idea ..... thanks for the update
P.

Edited by pierreganseman