Why become a member? ×

Pay or not to pay

peterj219

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1382906526' post='2257934']
The complete opposite!

Our drummer was ill this week and I got hold of a dep at very short notice for a rehearsal.

We paid him £20 for the rehearsal and £5 petrol money.

Hs not a pro musician or anything but he gave up his time and we really needed his help so we were happy to pay him for an evening's 'work'.
[/quote]

This... they NEED your favours... you shouldn't have to pay for it.
We would use the kitty for this... which the BAND earns, but if not, we'd cover it ourselves with an equal band member split on the session.
We don't expect non band members to pay for band things.

I'd ask then what is really going on..... i,e do they want you to join?
If the bass players abstains like this too often, you do all the leg work..and he turns up and gets paid on the gig..??
Who is the dep here ???

I think it is a bit cheeky that they asked you, even if it is a small amount. They've now put you in a awkward position, which you shouldn't be in as you were doing them a favour.

I don't think you should pay out if principle, but then that may make you look petty (even though you are not). I'd make a joke that you don't have the cash and maybe the other bass player should cough up since you are doing him a favour!

One band I dep in I chip in for rehearsals, but I gig with them so it's all fair. Another band I played with once even drove a fair distance to get to me for a rehearsal & then still paid for the practice.

But paying for the rehearsal when the band & other bassist will go & take all the credit? I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

If you get something out of it, then it may be worth it - i.e. getting to play challenging material or get to jam with great musicians. But for just going through the motions, not worth it.

I've never asked a dep to pay for a rehearsal , nor have I ever paid for one when I'm standing in. I actually offered to once as it was for some good friends, but they politely declined aa I was helping them out. Are the band a covers band, earning money at gigs? Sounds like the regular bassist has got himself a sweet deal if they are! I'd get my coat.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1382906830' post='2257942'] I'd do musical mates a favour, but I certainly wouldn't pay to do that favour. I'm surprised that they had the cheek to ask quite honestly! [/quote]

+1

We pay 'expenses and a bit on top' to any dep and are fabulously grateful as it involves a lot of work.

I'm amazed they even asked!

Not just for the cheek of it, and that you are helping them out, but also it seems that you've put a lot of work into helping them already.

Reminds me a bit of a drummer I knew - he was very good indeed, but he suddenly refused to come to rehearsals until the rest of band 'were as tight as him' - then he said that the rest of us had 2 years to write a good enough song to make him famous.

Then he sold his van and bought a motorbike and told us it was our problem getting his drum kit to venues.

In hindsight it was clear it was a 'Yoko' issue! :D