Why become a member? ×

Ordered another SX!

paul h

Frets are nicely finished...none of the sharp ends SX gets accused of. I won't know how good they are until I put the new strings on and complete the set up.

The bridge is nice, it has open "J" channels so you don't have to feed the strings right through, just slip the ball end in.

Here are a couple more pics. Still not the best, I am photographically challenged. I also apologise for the bass being dirty already! I have had my grubby hands over it none stop. It will get a nice polish off when the strings come off.

You will see that the pole pieces don't line up with the strings properly. This seems to be a common problem with Sx's. I for one don't care! :)

Paul.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='227750' date='Jun 27 2008, 06:29 AM']Why did I click the link to Rondo with my kids in the room? :)
My daughter is now nagging that she wants this:
or this [/quote]

You're not alone :huh:

[quote name='7string' post='228320' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:02 PM']Geez, now even I'm getting tempting by these SX bargains (and I don't usually like J's) :huh:[/quote]

Us SX types are like The Borg............. you will all be assimilated. :)

I haven't had the customs bill yet but hoping it will be around the £40/£50 mark. It was about £26 for my $109.99 57 P.

P.

EDIT: Actually that's a lie. I am hoping it will in the £30/£40 mark. £50 seems a bit steep.

Edited by paul h

Nice one Paul,
cracking looking bass!
I'm thinking of getting the Short Scale Ltd Version of this bass for my little sis's 21st birthday.
This one here >> [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/product1856.html"]SX SJB-75 3/4 LTD 3TS Short Scale[/url]

Your review has pretty much swung it.
If I order it soon, I can play with it for a little while before I hand it over :)

Eude

After a sticking a set of Roberts Growlers on it, and using a full 2mm neck shim I have got to say this thing is awesome. Possibly the second best playing bass I have ever owned (MTD Kingston please step forward!)

Ok, so it's not perfect, it's a little bit buzzy here and there...but that's how I like it anyway! :)

Here is a quick sound sample. I absolutely hate recording myself playing bass so apologies for the shortness/dirtyness/rubbishness but at least it shows what a stock SX can sound like. Slap part with both pickups on full, fingerstyle with bridge only.

[attachment=10411:sxj_Rendered.mp3]

I am not 100% sure what this has recorded like. I have monitoring issues with the LCD TV I use as a PC monitor. It seems to be loud enough with AVI files etc. but with anything I record myself I have to crank the volume right up to hear it.

Oh btw Eude...I wholeheartedly recommend these, but it did need some serious fettling including wedging 2 x 1mm plectrums in the neck pocket as a shim. Saying that, my P didn't need anything like as drastic so it's all a matter of luck.

Paul.

• 3 months later...

Yes, Rondo got some nice stuff!
I guess I should've been more cautious about ordering from Rondomusic from Europe.
I have bought a couple of guitars there myself. Doubt I will do it again.

For starters: it’s expensive to import. A $100 guitar cost $268!
I think the hype is coming from US customers. It’s a lot cheaper there.

Here is how: The shipping and customs and import VAT for items from outside EU makes it expensive even though the USD is low. Example: $100 for guitar and $100 for shipping and 34% on top of the sum (yes on shipping too!) makes it quite expensive. The 34% includes customs, import VAT. And the hidden 1,5% cost VISA gets from trading in another currency.

Secondly: the guitars don’t match their pictures on the web. Even though I bought some of their premium models, they didn’t measure up! Big disappointment. I’m not to crazy about the how the pu:s sound either. Some of the necks are to fat in my opinion and I like a fat neck.

Third: Lousy terms. If you have any complaints you will get: “Items shipped are as is with no warranty”. Sure shipping is expensive, but still..

Fourth:
Customer service suck!
They will probably try hard not to give you any money back. They would try to send you some left over used crap-hardware. At least that’s my experience.

So if you think you’ll order from Rondomusic, good luck to you!
I think you’ll need it.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='303941' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:24 PM']laban1 - are you as boring in real life? You've cross-posted the same post to (at least) three threads.
We don't do that here.

er... Otherwise, Welcome to BC :)[/quote]

I have dropped laban a PM..