Why become a member? ×

Strings that didn't impress you.

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1383162467' post='2261104']

Fender strings are made by D'Addario, but Fender strings are not merely repackaged D'Addarios, i.e. Fender flats are not Chromes.
[/quote]

I thought the same too.

I've tried fenders equivalent to chromes and nickelwounds and found the fender packs to be of lower tension.

Don't like Elites or DR. Horrible things.

What does surprise me is the comments about tension. While a set of 45-105 from Maker A might not have the same tension as 45-105 from Maker B, there are usually other gauge sets available.

I don't tend to buy looking at the gauge anymore - I look at the tension information.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1383222130' post='2261694']
Don't like Elites or DR. Horrible things.

What does surprise me is the comments about tension. While a set of 45-105 from Maker A might not have the same tension as 45-105 from Maker B, there are usually other gauge sets available.

I don't tend to buy looking at the gauge anymore - I look at the tension information.
[/quote]
Yes, gauge can be a very minor factor in how a string feels, which is much more dependent on the construction of the string.

I never buy strings on the basis of gauge.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1383162467' post='2261104']
Fender strings are made by D'Addario, but Fender strings are not merely repackaged D'Addarios, i.e. Fender flats are not Chromes.
[/quote]

I have some recollection that Fender strings were made by D'Addario until very recently , but Fender have subsequently changed their supplier in the last couple of years and the more recent strings are much less to the liking of many people who had previously been fans of Fender strings. Widespread consensus seems to be that Fender roundwounds are definitely changed beyond all recognition from what they were.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383228273' post='2261822']
I have some recollection that Fender strings were made by D'Addario until very recently , but Fender have subsequently changed their supplier in the last couple of years and the more recent strings are much less to the liking of many people who had previously been fans of Fender strings. Widespread consensus seems to be that Fender roundwounds are definitely changed beyond all recognition from what they were.
[/quote]
I was of the view that it's the other way around. Fender changed to (not from) D'Addario.

I have tried Rotosound Flats and they were so difficult to play despite spending hours/days etc trying to reset up my bass. That said, I have used D'Addarios in the past and found them too tight. I use Rotosound Swing Bass Standard Gauge on my four and five string basses. The feel and sound are pretty good, a tad noisy on the slides, but have been robust enough and kept their sound.

I'm not sure I would replace them with Rotosounds again, always willing to try something new. After all, they're only strings!

Edited by kendall

So far I've a set of Elixir nanoweb strings on my Shergold Marathon since May 2011, with no loss of zing or wear, and a 5 string set on my Marseer since December 2011, again no loss of zing or wear. Then again I play with a light touch and not every day. Previously a set of Thomastik Jazz flats worked pretty well on the Marathon.

Strings tried and not liked before the above were a set of D'Addario XL ProSteels. There is a massive bass/player/string interaction thing going on here and one manufacturer cannot satisfy everything. Experimentation gets expensive though.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382897261' post='2257734']
I'd still rather spend the money on pick and mix sweets or something if I was at a trade show, just order some proper strings online when you get home :D
[/quote]

I once bought what I thought was a multi-pack of D'Addario at a show. Was supposed to be a box of 5 sets of Steel 5 string.

When I got home and opened the box there were 2 sets of the right Steels, and 3 sets of cello strings.

I had no idea what to do about swapping them for the right ones, and I couldn't find anyone to talk to about it so I was a bit put out - then I discovered that the cello strings retailed at £120 a set. So I gave a set to a mate who played the cello and sold the other 2.

The prices are mental for DB strings.

I don't know anything about string construction other than the martketing bits of hex core and round core etc (I have no idea why that is important) - but other than being a bit longer and needing a bit more material - how on earth are DB strings so much more expensive?

Is it just a volume thing that the margins have to be higher because of less sales? Or do they really cost loads more to make?

How long do DB strings last anyway?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1383246035' post='2262149']
The prices are mental for DB strings.

I don't know anything about string construction other than the martketing bits of hex core and round core etc (I have no idea why that is important) - but other than being a bit longer and needing a bit more material - how on earth are DB strings so much more expensive?

Is it just a volume thing that the margins have to be higher because of less sales? Or do they really cost loads more to make?

How long do DB strings last anyway?
[/quote]
On recommendation of fellow bc members I have fitted spirocores to my db and eub, £300! But they reckon ten years to be possible, we will see.
Its a really expensive addiction lots of db players have trying out string types and tensions.

Add me 2 the long list of Rottensound haters, 4 all the afore mentioned reasons. Except 4 them, I've liked everything else I've played over 30 odd yrs, but special mention 2 SIT & GHS for non coated & Aurora & DR for coated, never had a dud string, let alone a set.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1382814843' post='2256948']
Played forever on EB super slinkies but never really liked them but when I started I didn't realise there was as much choice as there was.

Played with Dr and I like the sound but the tensions per string were just too un-even for me and after a few too many sets with dead strings I gave up on them.

Found the best string to be D'addario nickel wounds, when I got my Sandberg from Oli on here. Now I'm using the balanced tension sets as they are even more even and are still under £20 which I think is cheap for quality bass strings.

been meaning to try a P-bass with a set on as I've hated all previous tries with other strings on.

Coincidently the guitarist uses D'ardarrio too.
[/quote]

I use a 1970s Precision with the balanced tension 120-50 set. Really pleased with the results.

Ernie Ball- don't get on with them at all. Very rough feeling, and seem to tarnish up quickly too.

DR sunbeams are my favourite, but expensive. Last ages and seem to stay in that 'sweet spot' for longer than other strings. Never seem to tarnish either.

D'Addario and Fender Nickels are OK.

Thomastik flats, I really can't stand them. Everything I'd want about a flat wound string just isn't there and I found them 'uneven' sounding across the strings too. I know I'm in a minority with this one! I think a lot of other people can get on with them because of their lower tension but it's something I really didn't like about them. La Bella 760FL's are what I like in flats.

I never got on with DR's. Lowriders I found a little on the dull side and High Beams were okay, but not worth the price. I'm yet to try Sunbeams yet but unless they completely trounce D'Addario Nickels then they won't be worth it either. D'Addarios are still my favourite round but they just don't last for more than 2 gigs with me!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1384012488' post='2271908']
Thomastik flats, I really can't stand them. Everything I'd want about a flat wound string just isn't there and I found them 'uneven' sounding across the strings too. I know I'm in a minority with this one! I think a lot of other people can get on with them because of their lower tension but it's something I really didn't like about them. La Bella 760FL's are what I like in flats.

I never got on with DR's. Lowriders I found a little on the dull side and High Beams were okay, but not worth the price. I'm yet to try Sunbeams yet but unless they completely trounce D'Addario Nickels then they won't be worth it either. D'Addarios are still my favourite round but they just don't last for more than 2 gigs with me!
[/quote]

What do those D'Addario XL's feel like in terms of tension /compliance? I seem to remember that they are meant to feel pretty tight . Do they last a fair while? People seem to either love them or hate them , but I have noticed over the years that a lot of top players seems to favour them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384012803' post='2271916']
What do those D'Addario XL's feel like in terms of tension /compliance? I seem to remember that they are meant to feel pretty tight . Do they last a fair while? People seem to either love them or hate them , but I have noticed over the years that a lot of top players seems to favour them .
[/quote]

Just re-strung my P with them. I love them.
For me personally the tension is perfect. I tend to dig in when I play finger style and get a nice bouncy feel. The tension isn't what I was call 'tight' I can still play with light touch and feel really comfortable with what I'm playing. Can also get a loverly growly grind with a pick.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384012803' post='2271916']
What do those D'Addario XL's feel like in terms of tension /compliance? I seem to remember that they are meant to feel pretty tight . Do they last a fair while?
[/quote]

It's been a while since I've used the standard XL's as my local music store has had the balanced tension XL's in for dirt cheap, I can say that the balanced tensions feel tighter than the regular XL's though with some certainty which means that the XL's are probably middle of the road. The balanced tension ones are somewhat tougher if you prefer a higher action and I found them to be a little slower speaking than the standard XL's unless you prefer a lower action. It didn't take me long to get acclimatised to them though, YMMV and all that.

XL's are lovely strings but like all round wounds apart from coated ones they never last as long as I want them to!

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1384012883' post='2271919']
Ernie Balls cobalts - rusted within a week or two (absolutely shocking) and they had a horrible tension/feel to them.

[/quote]

Oh yes I forgot about them ones. Couldn't agree more. Like I said to Shania Twain at the time, Those Strings Don't Impress Me Much...

Who would have thought it, eh?

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1384013508' post='2271932']
Just re-strung my P with them. I love them.
For me personally the tension is perfect. I tend to dig in when I play finger style and get a nice bouncy feel. The tension isn't what I was call 'tight' I can still play with light touch and feel really comfortable with what I'm playing. Can also get a loverly growly grind with a pick.
[/quote]
[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1384013573' post='2271933']
It's been a while since I've used the standard XL's as my local music store has had the balanced tension XL's in for dirt cheap, I can say that the balanced tensions feel tighter than the regular XL's though with some certainty which means that the XL's are probably middle of the road. The balanced tension ones are somewhat tougher if you prefer a higher action and I found them to be a little slower speaking than the standard XL's unless you prefer a lower action. It didn't take me long to get acclimatised to them though, YMMV and all that.

XL's are lovely strings but like all round wounds apart from coated ones they never last as long as I want them to!
[/quote]

Thanks for the input . At least XL's are very reasonably priced . I used to quite like D'Addario Slow Wounds and Prisms , but they stopped making them both . I think the Pro Steels took over from the Prisms , and XL's cover for the Slow Wounds .