Why become a member? ×

What amp does a pub-band bassist need?

thebrig

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1382719772' post='2255960']
Brian

How about I bring my Compact up with me tomorrow, just so you can get an idea/feel for the size and weight? Just a thought.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]
If you don't mind Geoff, although I really don't know whether I will continue playing after the move, but it would give me chance to see one in the flesh, all the other brands I can get to see in the shops.

See you in the morning. :)
Cheers
Brian

i played a pub gig on Saturday with my Markbass F1 and both of my Midgets, Had to reign in the power a bit but it sounded Fab, i could have easily got away with just one Midget really (but they look so good stacked up) a single compact would have also been excellent (i went for the twin midget setup as it fitted on a shelf in the spare room thereby getting purchase approval from my wife, the shelf wasn't big enough for a comapct and a midget and a super 12T would have been marginally more difficult to get up the stairs as there's a 180 degree turn half way up)

i got loads of complinments on my tone from the punters including a friend who is very truthful and who's opinion i trust fully.

Matt

I use a tc bh500 into a markbass 410, with plenty of spare volume. I used to use a genz benz shuttle 6 into a barefaced compact and that was loud enough for most pub gigs.

It obviously depends on the music u play, how big the room is, and how loud ur drummer is!

Would recommend the genz benz stuff tho, and its on offer at gak at the moment :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1383212566' post='2261505']
If you want little, and more than adequate for a pub then you have to try the AER amp one unless the cost is too great. It's a one off that you need to eliminate from your enquiries, tiny, manageable and sounds fabulous.
[/quote]

I play one of these for a lot our pub gigs. Three-piece, loud thumping pro drummer and guitarist with Hot Rod Deluxe (louder than a Marshall 100) guitar amp. Easily keeps pace with them, fits in the footwell of the passenger seat in my car. I actually have two of them, just in case we play a bigger place, but rarely use two nowadays - never actually NEED to use 2nd one. More often than not, I use it without any PA support.

The musos in the crown always ask which amp I'm playing through and can't believe when they see the answer.

It's not just the size and build quality. The quality of the tone is amazing.

A genius of an amp - higher in quality of construction than [i]anything [/i]out else out there.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/aer_bottom_line_amp_one.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/aer_bottom_line_amp_one.htm [/url]