Why become a member? ×

I've got a case of the Ritters ...

misrule

Hi, folks --

I used to hate Ritters ... until I saw this on Talkbass.

Now I've suddenly fallen in love with them, even some of the uglier ones.

I'm skint, I don't need one and my wife would kill me -- but I'm in the grip of GAS. Tell me I'm a mad fool :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='223618' date='Jun 21 2008, 03:17 PM']Hi, folks --

I'm skint, I don't need one and my wife would kill me -- but I'm in the grip of GAS. Tell me I'm a mad fool :huh:

Cheers

Mark[/quote]Hi Mark just delete your posting and forget you ever saw it. :)

Have you noticed how the description on the site for the fuzzy yellow Ritter doesn't match the actual pictures of the bass?

One day if Jens is still able to make them I'll be putting in and order for a [url="http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses-baesse/ritter-basses-raptor.htm"]Raptor[/url].

[quote name='BigRedX' post='224435' date='Jun 22 2008, 08:35 PM']Have you noticed how the description on the site for the fuzzy yellow Ritter doesn't match the actual pictures of the bass?

One day if Jens is still able to make them I'll be putting in and order for a [url="http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses-baesse/ritter-basses-raptor.htm"]Raptor[/url].[/quote]
Hmm, nice to look at but I can see some of those fiddly bits getting knocked off :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='BigRedX' post='224435' date='Jun 22 2008, 08:35 PM']Have you noticed how the description on the site for the fuzzy yellow Ritter doesn't match the actual pictures of the bass?

One day if Jens is still able to make them I'll be putting in and order for a [url="http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses-baesse/ritter-basses-raptor.htm"]Raptor[/url].[/quote]
You certainly like your strange basses! Kudos!

I love the look of Ritters, and the prestige that they carry is undeniable. BUT! ultimately it's about sound. Have a search on Talkbass, there's a few clips floating round. Personally, the sound reeeeally doesn't do it for me. Maybe you can dial an amazing tone or several amazing tones in... but for the price I'd expect [b][i]serious[/i][/b] plug n play action.

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='224339' date='Jun 22 2008, 06:48 PM']Anyone for tennis?

Even I'd draw the line, at £3,690. :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Would be fun to chuck at the drummer head and watch it bounce back to you. £3,690? Well worth it for that! :huh:

[quote name='mcgraham' post='224484' date='Jun 22 2008, 09:39 PM']I love the look of Ritters, and the prestige that they carry is undeniable. BUT! ultimately it's about sound. Have a search on Talkbass, there's a few clips floating round. Personally, the sound reeeeally doesn't do it for me. Maybe you can dial an amazing tone or several amazing tones in... but for the price I'd expect [b][i]serious[/i][/b] plug n play action.

Mark[/quote]
I've played a couple and the all maple bodies mean the basses sound very bright with a very tight and compressed low end. They feel nice for slapping but I'd really need a warm rig like an SWR to get the best out of them. If I'm paying that kind of money, I'd expect more versatility tonally. You could probably get a very similar sound from a Pedulla MVP if you swap out the pickups for super clean sounding models like EMG, Rough Crystal or Alembic plus an East preamp.

There again, with that insanely beautiful wood it seems almost a shame to take them off the wall hanger.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='225766' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:44 AM']I've played a couple and the all maple bodies mean the basses sound very bright with a very tight and compressed low end. They feel nice for slapping but I'd really need a warm rig like an SWR to get the best out of them. If I'm paying that kind of money, I'd expect more versatility tonally. You could probably get a very similar sound from a Pedulla MVP if you swap out the pickups for super clean sounding models like EMG, Rough Crystal or Alembic plus an East preamp.

There again, with that insanely beautiful wood it seems almost a shame to take them off the wall hanger.[/quote]
Hmm, I like bright. Don't give me even more reasons to buy the thing :)

Cheers

Mark

I see these and other shiny works of art, and yes, they are great eye candy. Then I see some guy down the local live pub with a worn-out Fender with just enough surviving bits of paintwork to reveal that it was once a sunburst, getting a fat, woody vintage growl... and I yearn to have that old simple, passive veteran under my shoulders, much more than a blinged-up object d'art with NASA electronics.

I'll get my unfashionable old git coat...

[quote name='misrule' post='223618' date='Jun 21 2008, 03:17 PM']Hi, folks --

I'm skint, I don't need one and my wife would kill me -- but I'm in the grip of GAS. Tell me I'm a mad fool :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

God DAMN that's a fine looking piece of (b)ass!

One question to put out there, the neck looks wider than the M4, or is that just me?