Why become a member? ×

5 string bass , getting used to it

lojo

Last time I played a 5 string was around 20 years ago, but recently i'm getting fed up of d tuning, and there are increasing times where I wish I had a lower 5th or root to hand.

Im worried that as I have tried many 4 strings I haven't even got on with (stingray or P only seems comfortable to me), that id never get used to it, and I rarely practice more than a few hours here and there just to keep my covers alive or learn new ones.

Also, whilst I play mostly finger style, I do use a pick and play quite and play quite aggressively with it sometimes, the string spacings might mean, all that gets harder?

I know no one can tell me what will happen, but just playing one in a shop for a few minutes (which i've not done yet), wont really give me the confidence to buy

Any thoughts gratefully listened to.

Edited by lojo

I always think you want a 5 ONLY if you hear what it can do for your playing....
I'd get a P bass spacing at nut and bridge so you can then transpose what you do now on a 4 on a 5... if that is the spacing you like.
I don't see the point of swapping back myself so you need to be commited to making the change.
depends what you attempt to play on it governs how much time you need to devote to it...IMV.

I think a J5 with a P neck sounds the way to go.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1382267614' post='2249795']
I always think you want a 5 ONLY if you hear what it can do for your playing....
[/quote]

Yes, this is what is starting to happen, funny thing is doubt anyone else will notice

I finally had to get a 5-string for two reasons: 1) the band I play with plays a few songs that the bass line does go that low occasionally, and 2) some of the "standards" are being pitched down a step or two so I have to be able to play the bass line down as well. I changed my approach: instead of thinking about the starting point of the open E string and working up, I start with the open A string as the "middle" and work both directions. I also have a left hand that does not like many necks, hence my custom half-fanned fret P/J that is in another thread on the forum. I have found that the Ibanez SRA305 works really well for me for all the reasons you indicate.

The 'inbetween' standard and low B tuning is where a properly set up bass in that tuning is as useful as a fiver set up in standard. Still the fiver gives you the flexibility to play all those songs without having to downtune whatsoever.I used a fiver for a while, but ended up just setting up a four string for downtuning. I found it easier to just tune to C# standard rather than having to transpose everything. I have enough basses to set up for different tunings when I need them. If i just needed a 'do it all' bass a fiver would probably be the sensible choice.

Hey there...

Having just acquired my first five string, I can offer these thoughts.

I've been playing professionally since 1972, mostly on P-Bass and occasionally, a JAZZ or PJ - but all four string USA Fenders. I even cobbled some Warmoth JAZZ designs together too and they're great players with Lindy Fralin and SD Antiquity II Jive PUPS on board...but the Lakland DJ-5 I just got, is an different beast completely.

Not only does the neck feel comfortable to me, it's also VERY fast and slick. The DJ-5 body seems resonate into my belly...not that I have a huge gut, but I haven't scratched a guitar in years with a belt buckle... :)

Here's the weird part for me... I practice every day for a couple of hours...and switch back and forth between various fretted and fretless models that I have...and all seemed smooth and felt good. So I hit the stage with DJ-5 for the first time and played three full sets with it, smiling the whole time. For last set, I pulled out another Lakland I have, JO-4... and it felt like I was playing a toy bass. It took me a couple of minutes to forget the "tiny" feel and settle in again.... and like I mentioned earlier, I've been play "4s" forever. I had to laugh about it... but I'll tell you this much for free... the extra low notes are just what was needed in some of the arrangements where myself and the keyboards were holding the low end and low mids together. HUGE Bottom end...and extra envelope of tone and presence.

BTW - the show is a Texas Swing band like Asleep at the Wheel.

I would say to all the four string hold outs (like me)... find a decent playing MIM 5'er and give it try... you may just like it - A LOT. You can always by a real nice fiver later.

Regards,

Edited by bbqbob

When I got my first 5 string bass, an MM SR5, I put the Fender Pbass, I'd played for over 20 years, under the bed. It's still there.

I can't stand narrow string spacing, so I'd have recommend the Stingray as a good starter, but these days I'd look at a used Lakland 55-01 or 55-02 first. They are big basses but I find they are easy to get used to and if you want to play a 5 string bass it's better to stick at it and get over the awkwardness as early as possible.

Thanks again for the replies

Dougal on here has very kindly let be borrow his 5 String, had about an hour on it yesterday and whilst I've imeadiatly started to use the first handful of B string frets it does feel very awkward, I will try it tonight at a band rehearsal for a few songs.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1382854392' post='2257169']
....I've imeadiatly started to use the first handful of B string frets it does feel very awkward....
[/quote]

It gets easier and sounds much better if you can stick at it and get through this phase.

You're not doing yourself any favours if you keep switching between 4's and 5's. IMO it's best to make a clean break with 4's.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382874991' post='2257376']

It gets easier and sounds much better if you can stick at it and get through this phase.

You're not doing yourself any favours if you keep switching between 4's and 5's. IMO it's best to make a clean break with 4's.
[/quote]
Yep, I gigged my first five the day I bought it, I played terrible but probably fast forwarded my transition by six months.

I got one several years ago out of necessity and it took a little while to get used to but now I feel more comfortable using a 5 then a 4.

I've realised over the years of trying different 5ers that I struggle with 35" scale and wide string spacing, a SR5 neck suits me down to the ground, you might need to try a few basses to find one that suits you.

[quote name='bbqbob' timestamp='1382760625' post='2256316']So I hit the stage with DJ-5 for the first time and played three full sets with it, smiling the whole time. For last set, I pulled out another Lakland I have, JO-4... and it felt like I was playing a toy bass. It took me a couple of minutes to forget the "tiny" feel and settle in again.
[/quote]
I can relate to that sooo much! It's even more extreme when you are mad enough to go to a 6 string and have a relatively small necked 4 like my Status is. I don't think the 6th string is all that necessary at all, it was just the bass I preferred out of the 5 and 6 string basses I tried, certainly wasn't the most expensive one! an LTD B206SM is not an expensive bass really, but sounds at least as good as my Status.

I can adapt to almost any 4 string, but for a 5 I am really picky about neck shapes.

After buying and selling about 20 different 5 strings I finally found 2 that I like! A Marleaux Consat Custom and a Dingwall ABZ5

The odd thing is, the neck shapes are very different indeed, but I like them both. But other than that I haven't found any 5 strings that I get on with at all.

So it might take you a little while to find the perfect one, but hopefully not the 15 years it has taken me!! :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382886776' post='2257564']
Yep, I gigged my first five the day I bought it, I played terrible but probably fast forwarded my transition by six months.
[/quote]

Its the way to do it. Same here. :P

And I remember you telling me you'd never move to a 5er. Ha ha. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383223532' post='2261730']
I made a public apology for being anti five string though :)
[/quote]

This is true.... you're forgiven.

When you get a 5, you understand why people play 5s. Laziness. You don't have to move your hand all gig.