Why become a member? ×

TubeScreamer Derivatives

Prime_BASS

What is out there?

I didn't realise until recently my very own BB preamps are essentially TS clones, and I have a TubeScreamer. It also turns out that there are quiet a lot of pedals that are derivatives of the TubeScreamer.
I'd like to know what else is out there? And what's any good?

I'll add that I've used the BB preamps on both guitar and bass and compared to the original TS I have they deal all over it. I think the TS sounds pants

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1382247432' post='2249630']
I'd like to know what else is out there? And what's any good?
[/quote]

You mean in terms of TS derivatives or other overdrive pedals?

If it's other pedals, I made a BYOC clone of the Marshall Bluesbreaker which I love for milder OD. Very moddable too.

Personally I'm not a fan of TS pedals, they never seem very flexible to me and I find the midrange boost very grating.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1382278406' post='2249963']

You mean in terms of TS derivatives or other overdrive pedals?

If it's other pedals, I made a BYOC clone of the Marshall Bluesbreaker which I love for milder OD. Very moddable too.

Personally I'm not a fan of TS pedals, they never seem very flexible to me and I find the midrange boost very grating.
[/quote]

As in what else is a TS derivative/clone, personally I hate the original TS9 it works fine on guitar to drive a massive great valve thing into pure dirty mess but on a clean to dirt stompbox style it sucks, even worse on bass and the bass version is even worse than that. But a lot of clones I've tried and imparticular my BBs they just seem to work as drive pedals, add a nice colour and can sound mild but crank well too.

I'd like to try one of those rodenberg ones as the price is something to think twice at.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1382537737' post='2253357']
isnt the Markbass mini distortion thing a tubescreamer as well?
[/quote]

This is unconfirmed, I made the suggestion after comparing the pedal to an Xotic BB Pre, but not sure of the specifics.

Si

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1382393094' post='2251747']
You know the Fulltone Bass Drive is actually just a Full Drive, tweaked to handle bass frequencies? The earliest BDs even came in a FD case, with "bass" crudely stuck over the "full"!...
[/quote]

I didn't, never tried one but I've heard good things. They seem to hold their relatively high price though so I'm put off giving one a whirl.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1382537737' post='2253357']
isnt the Markbass mini distortion thing a tubescreamer as well?
[/quote]

I always thought so too as Si says, plus I thought it was a miniturised version of the bass tube marker. It's sounds nice and similar to the xotics BB but the tone controls are a bit weird and would have served me better if it had a bass and treble control.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1382557176' post='2253701']

I didn't, never tried one but I've heard good things. They seem to hold their relatively high price though so I'm put off giving one a whirl.
[/quote]

I had an early one and then later had a non mosfet one(mosfet version sounds very wooly) very huge sound though, the later variants sound to dissimilar to the original full drive to be counted as TS clones though.

My main wonder is why clone it? But I guess that's why there are so many fender clones out there too.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1382557176' post='2253701']

[/quote]

They do hold their value well. I had the MOSFET one which was nice, but sold it when Tom (COG) made me a far superior clone. I'd say (as would many others on here!) that the Xotic BB does what the Bass Drive can do and loads more, and can be had for a lot less!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1382601243' post='2254078']

They do hold their value well. I had the MOSFET one which was nice, but sold it when Tom (COG) made me a far superior clone. I'd say (as would many others on here!) that the Xotic BB does what the Bass Drive can do and loads more, and can be had for a lot less!
[/quote]

For me an actual EQ serves a better purpose than a single LPF based tone control. That's probably why I like the BB pre so much, so much so I have two.